Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Solid fuel and Solar possible?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hello all,

Tried to find if this thread has been discussed before but gave up after a few pages of searching the Plumbing section, anyway

About to start a house (direct labour). Have been getting quotes and advice from the various trades. I want to have a solar water heater and also as I have access to solid fuel, I would like 8- 10 rads (16-18 total) and DHW from a range. On top of that I will need to have a CH system to kick in automatically in the cold winter mornings. Still havent decided between oil and wood pellets to start off but if it is oil I will set it up to convert the boiler to pellets in the future.

One plumber I got to quote told me that this combined system was possible (300L tank pressurised system and have a few rads on an open system for the range), while another told me that solid fuel and solar were not compatible due to erratic levels of heat in the system from the range.

Has anybody heard of this type of set up before or is it overkill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Have you priced all the stuff yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

why the range: is it only because of the solid fuel and if so what kind?

on the face of it, your system seems way too complicated

where on the planet are u based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 grassynoel

Haven't got a full price for the plumbing yet but am expecting it to be hefty enough (TRV's, piping >10m from a boiler in a shed, zoned heating circuits, etc etc etc - scary). Would probably be pleasantly surprised if it came in under 30K. One plumber says he will give a quote for labour and materials - I was a bit worried about that in that is there potential to do a bit of shopping for himself on my budget, the joys of direct labour I suppose maybe thats too cynical.

I priced solid fuel ranges in Athlone recently Stanleys and Rayburns are c. 4700 - 5000 flues etc extra.

Based in midlands, so the solid fuel will be turf and I also will have access to seasoned hardwood timber (friendly forester).

My head is probably saying that the range is overkill and I will be retired before it pays back for itself but my heart and the missus would like a range for room heat, cooking and minimising oil or pellets for the evening CH.

The fact that I will have access to turf and timber is influencing the decision but maybe a couple of solid fuel stoves for room heating only might be the practical way to go. Have heard a little about wood gasifiers also but not a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Haven't installed a stanley or rayburn in a long time ,surely you could go half way and get an oil / heating / cooker type unit.

Or a duel fuel unit ,if theres one available ?

If you're going to go to a lot of expense ,you might be aswell off to put in a stove in the fire place , it would give you a focal point ,other than slaving over a rayburn all day.

Advertisement