Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Navigation Kit

Options
  • 20-08-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I was among the millions who bought a Nokia 770 when they went on the cheap and I've been playing around with Maemo mapper on it with an iBlue bluetooth GPS receiver.

It works fine and does what it says on the tin but I want to get something vector based that doesn't take up a whole memory card with maps (or at least if it does it doesn't just fill it up with images).

I was looking on Expansys they're selling these off

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=151567

e121.95 seems like a good price.

Has anyone any experience with this? Is it proper vector based mapping with maps that you don't have to download?

Do you ideally need to have an always on internet connection on your phone paired with it?

I presume you need the bluetooth getting data from the net to update the speed camera locations that are on it but this doesn't really bother me.

I don't have a phone that has 3G or anything that'd allow me to take a net connection on the road with me.

I just want proper vector based mapping that will plot routes for you as opposed to maemo-mapper where you have to put in your own routes and it just pulls from Google maps or wherever your repository is coming from.

If this does that and has accurate vector-based maps that come with it you just copy onto the 770 then I'll get it and sell off the iBlue.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mnolan

This package uses stored data not an online connection. There's a good video of it on youtube. Looks great but it uses Teleatlas maps which don't seem to offer great coverage of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hi mnolan. Funny you should reply just now as I ordered it on Friday and it arrived this morning (well impressed with Expansys on that by the way!)

It seems like exactly what I wanted. Vector based, maps all stored locally, proper vocal directions etc.

It also comes with a great windscreen holder (super sturdy and designed specifically for the 770, leave access to all the ports and the stylus. The 770 cover itself doesn't leave space to remove the stylus with it on) and a cigarette charger with the same connector as the 770.

I took the car for a little spin today to try it out and it seems grand. The voice is very, very american though ("At the next intersection turn right" etc)

I'm going to put it to the test next week and bring it to Kerry and around. I imagine the coverage in Kerry won't be the best, especially very very rural Kerry...

Expect to see an iBlue GPS receiver on adverts.ie soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mnolan

I have a 770 myself so I'll be interested to hear how you fare in Kerry. If we don't hear from you again we'll assume that it didn't work very well :-)

Advertisement