Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Share your Alfa 156 horror stories with me

Options
  • 20-08-2007 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

I need someone to talk me out of buying one when I move to Ireland next month from Texas. What should I get instead? A diesel VW? :(

Obliged,

Wes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Alfa 156 horror stories?

Worst I ever heard was a guy on Boards who posted for stories to help talk himself out of buying one. So tragic - he saw the light but just couldnt make the leap into paradise and buy himself one. To this day it gives me the shivers just thinking about the poor guy. Maybe there's hope for his remption yet and he will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had one, and every time it got to 60mph, the entire instrument cluster died. Then there was the time the windows went up and down of their own accord, quickly and randomly while driving. It was like the car was possessed. The main dealer, and about 1000 Euro couldn't sort it either. I love Italian cars, bikes and women, but the 156 needed to be put out it's misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The electrics on the italian bikes aren't much better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

didnt own one, but drove a 156 a while back, and it was a sweet ride. very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I think the alfa 156 is the most desired car on boards that people just cant bring themselves to buy because of the gremlins found in some of the cars! Buying a car and parting with a large chunk of money tends to make people more conservative and sensible, maybe rightly so, but a red alfa 156 flying by me on the N11 always makes me wish I bought one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

wyk wrote:
    I need someone to talk me out of buying one when I move to Ireland next month from Texas. What should I get instead? A diesel VW? :(

Obliged,

Wes

Wes
    Seeing as no-one else bothered - welcome to Ireland. And to the whining/bitchin central that is........the Alfa 156. If I were you, I'd go for the Alfa - you might as well try something here you can't at home.......kind of a 'when in Rome'.........if you will :D

But, long before that - a word of caution. Driving Licence and insurance. If you're moving here permanently, you'll need an Irish licence - they usen't allow you swop your US one, you have to join the queue and do the driving test........

Which brings us neatly to insurance.........as a newly licenced driver, and coming from US, you won't get any No Claims Bonus, and you'll be right up there with 17 year olds...........so expect telephone numbers for quotes...........which means your next post might be more like 'can I get any car' rather than 'which car'.

Sorry to be a downer, but I know someone else who's just gone through the whole ringer, having moved here from Texas too.......

Oh, btw - stick or auto ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Thanks for the welcome. So VW diesel lupo it is then! At least in Ireland I won't live in constant fear of a 7,500 lb Dodge Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel t-boning my 1500 lb compact...

I will have licenses in the process, my main job will be driving, and the new boss is assisting me with that.

Sad about the insurance. I have been driving since I was 12, licensed since 16. So that's 22 years licensed. Never an accident since 18(with a Datsun 240Z ! :) ) And not a ticket in over 13 years. It's sad none of that will be considered. Add in the fact I have around 500,000 miles under my belt, 300,000 of it driving professionally in 1 ton to 13 ton wreckers and recovery vehicles, and it's even more frustrating. I am told my age works for me, but I know being a new driver in Ireland makes insurers nervous(even if I did drive the length of Ireland last time I was there in a rental).

The Alfa Romeo is not available here since..uh...98? Nearly ten years. Most of us Americans just assumed one of 3 things:

1) The salt water rusts out the undercarriage in the 30 days it takes to get here overseas from Italy, which is the extent of the warranty when you purchase an Alfa in the U.S - sight unseen...

2) All the jostling from lumbering across the oceans disconnects most the electrical systems, and the cost of retrofitting was becoming too much even to sell them to Alfa addicts - mostly due to the fact that not even the factory owns a proper schematic...

3) Italy just makes more profit selling us cheap Chianti they can't sell in Italy or the EU, or for that matter, to anyone with decent tastes. And it takes up MUCH less room on a barge, and unlike the Alfa - gets BETTER with age...Thats a win win Italy hasn't seen since they bettered Carthage.

In any case, it is a gorgeous car the 156. And with the way my searching is going for a flat, I may buy one just to lounge in it between shifts...

Wes
    galwaytt wrote:
    Wes
    Seeing as no-one else bothered - welcome to Ireland. And to the whining/bitchin central that is........the Alfa 156. If I were you, I'd go for the Alfa - you might as well try something here you can't at home.......kind of a 'when in Rome'.........if you will :D

But, long before that - a word of caution. Driving Licence and insurance. If you're moving here permanently, you'll need an Irish licence - they usen't allow you swop your US one, you have to join the queue and do the driving test........

Which brings us neatly to insurance.........as a newly licenced driver, and coming from US, you won't get any No Claims Bonus, and you'll be right up there with 17 year olds...........so expect telephone numbers for quotes...........which means your next post might be more like 'can I get any car' rather than 'which car'.

Sorry to be a downer, but I know someone else who's just gone through the whole ringer, having moved here from Texas too.......

Oh, btw - stick or auto ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

156 horror stories eh?

well since 2002 I've had three so far, a 1.8 T.Spark a 2.4 JTD and another 2.4 JTD, and never once have any of them failed to start.

my latest one is giving me all sorts of hassle, I have tried and tried, but I can't get the fuel consumption down any lower than 40 mpg :mad: and this despite the fact that it is tuned in excess of 200bhp, :rolleyes: and on motorway runs it returns nearly 60mpg :mad:

I'm at my wits end with this car, its like the f**kin energiser bunny it just keeps going and going........

oooh I wish I had bought a VW Golf GTTDPDDDTDPTDRED EYE :(:(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

wyk wrote:

Obliged,

Wes

Could a mod check the IP address here, because if this deffo trolling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I used (didn't own) a 156 1.8 Sportivo a few years ago. It led a hard life.

The only thing that caused anybother was the plastic engine underguard. I broke 2 of these on bumpy roads. The lower suspension in the Sportivo model made the ride quite jiggly.

Other than that I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

siralfalot wrote:
    oooh I wish I had bought a VW Golf GTTDPDDDTDPTDRED EYE :(:(:p

or, even better, a Red Tee Red Dee Red Eye.....:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Quint wrote:
    The electrics on the italian bikes aren't much better;)

Alfa 156 electrics are by Bosch; so its obviously the Huns' fault...

Who's to say I can't troll from Texas? ;)

In the U.S., Alfa had horrific reliability and repair issues. I would like to know if anyone whom owns one could give me some insight and help assist me in my purchasing decisions - what to look out for, what goes wrong and when. I gotta say, in the U.S. this thread would have been 4 pages deep in horror stories by now. So what makes the Alfa different in Ireland than here? Is it more affordable to run and repair? Or is paddy more willing to make sacrifices to keep such a gorgeous vehicle on the road?

Wes

prospect wrote:
    Could a mod check the IP address here, because if this deffo trolling.

wyk wrote:
    Who's to say I can't troll from Texas? ;)

In the U.S., Alfa had horrific reliability and repair issues. I would like to know if anyone whom owns one could give me some insight and help assist me in my purchasing decisions - what to look out for, what goes wrong and when. I gotta say, in the U.S. this thread would have been 4 pages deep in horror stories by now. So what makes the Alfa different in Ireland than here? Is it more affordable to run and repair? Or is paddy more willing to make sacrifices to keep such a gorgeous vehicle on the road?

Wes

jeese, the last Alfa to be sold new in the US was in 1995...............

siralfalot wrote:

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Alfas improved a lot over the last decade and while still not being rock solid they are a lot better than they sued to be. Horror story time now after having owned 3 alfas ........well.......ermmm...........ummmm...................one minute.....................I'll think of something..........................NOPE :/

Nothing, mostly the same problems as siralfalot, never get to stop too regularly to buy chocolate at filling stations, can't remember what my mechanic looks like cos I only see him at services and getting sick of the jealous looks given by people as you drive by and the "nice car" comments. If you can live with the above then go for it.

Personally I would recommend a diesel Alfa over a petrol ones purely on the basis of reliability though you have the added bonus of fuel economy and 200bhp and 325ft/lb torque to excite you too. It should also be easier to find a decently maintained diesel compared to a petrol despite there being far more petrols for sale. Service history, full and complete is an essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Our owned-from-new 156 is at nine years and 130,000 miles now. The radiator has just sprung a small leak - does that count?

Anan1 wrote:
    Our owned-from-new 156 is at nine years and 130,000 miles now. The radiator has just sprung a small leak - does that count?

oh the shame!! oooh the shame!!!, grab your torches and pitckforks!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've a 145 and the missus drives a 156 SW with the 1.9 newer (2003) engine - 140 BHP.
    Jesus, that thing is some animal for accelerating. Only problems are a knocking sound from the anti-roll-bar (potholed her twice) and difficult to replace bulbs in the front... Love em!

10-10-20 wrote:
    Only problems are a knocking sound from the anti-roll-bar

probably a drop-link, if so then €36 for a new one and a few mins work with a spanner will cure that easily

• Advertisement

Now ya understand why I've come here. The only thing I know of Alfa are they are gorgeous, with lovely interiors, and a lovely sound. The last Alfa I saw in person was on blocks.

It's good to hear the new breed are fairly reliable. I think I may just get me a 156.

Wes
    siralfalot wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Why would you move from texas and not bring your car with you tax free?

cancan wrote:
    Because a US-spec '1500 lb compact' would be worth little more than the shipping costs here, i'd imagine.

My 6.9 liter diesel truck(about flat size) gets 11 MPG, weighs 7500 lbs, and it is uninsurable. All of which is moot, because it is unparkable as well in Ireland...
    Here she is in front of my house in Texas, which is 2 stories detached, of course. I call her 'the little red monster':

medium.jpg
    I am quoted $3800 to ship it overseas as well...plus they asked I sign a form stating it won't hurt anyone -

but it started life white....

My 3.5 Liter Chevy Colorado(about HiLux size) gets 16 MPG, is American made, which places it a spot below a 1980's Afla Romeo as far as reliability go, but only without the looks to make up for it. I call it 'the POS Chevy truck that America can't make worth a damn to save their lives anymore nowadays':

medium.jpg
    $2200 to ship overseas.

Both will be sold, and I will be in need of something slightly practical...

Are we green?

Wes
    cancan wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Neve rowned an Alfa, and may never own one, but take this into consideration....

Chances are that all you'll hear on Internet Forums are BAD/HORROR STORIES. Think about it, you may hear 100 horror stories on the internet, but think about the thousands of happy stories that your average Joe Soap would have. People (Who don't use the net that often) generally only seek online advise when something bad happens.

I am only speaking from experience with my current car. I have a 320d which people complained of soft turbo's. All I heard online were bad stories, yet there's thousands of 320d's driving about trouble free!

Just something to consider. Happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

wyk wrote:
    medium.jpg

There's one of these pootling about Cork, the driver has a permenant smile on his face. I can understand why!

ned78 wrote:
    There's one of these pootling about Cork, the driver has a permenant smile on his face. I can understand why!
    Because he's 'special'?

Didja mean from my photos, or from the forum?

1 out of every 5 trucks sold in the USA are sold in Texas. Nearly everyone owns a truck. I own two, and drive several others that are much, much larger. As I stated previously, if you have a small car here, you will eventually be killed by a large truck as it rolls right over you, the driver of the truck clutching a mobile or a bottle of budweiser...and none the wiser for having hit you.

I own trucks mostly so I have a good chance in a collision. Another reason is Texas has more unpaved roads than any other state in the US, and far more unpaved than paved. Then there's the fact trucks are dirt cheap here. I paid $13,700 USD for the Colorado and $32,000 USD for the Dually Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Here's some cars I have owned previously:

1966 Ford Mustang, 1965 Mustang, 1969 Datsun 240Z, 1971 240Z, 1993 Civic, 1995 BMW M3(US spec, unfortunately), 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville, which fell apart on me (LOVE that car for long rides, and I mean LONG as in 24 hours straight from Texas to California - a time I later beat by 30 mins in...) a 2003 Dodge Hemi with dual fuel tanks - so I only had to make one fuel stop in El Paso, TX.
    I swilled an ungodly amount of Red Bull during that feat.

So I am not partial to any single type of vehicle. However, we haven't had Alfa's here in more than a decade, and it would be quite novel to own one until it bankrupts me. ;)

Wes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Wes, the Colorado is sold in a very similar variant in Ireland under the Izuzu brand. I'm sure you would pick up a commercial one cheap enough here. As for the Dodge Ram, Love those trucks! I'm in Boston at the moment and the Dullers are rare, but the crew cab ones with the 5.7 hemi are a regular sight. Class rumble off the V8 even when they idle. I'm also a Fan of the Chevy Avalanche and the F350, big trucks over here fit right in. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

siralfalot wrote:
    probably a drop-link, if so then €36 for a new one and a few mins work with a spanner will cure that easily
    I wish. I replced these. I then noticed that the roll-bar was loose when not under tension. It's a pig of a job to do - have to drop the engine frame...!

Advertisement