Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern European "artists" going door to door..

• 20-08-2007 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Are these fellas aware that they've got serious competition? Everytime one knocks on the door trying to sell me his artwork to fund his studies, I hear of more in the general area!

Are they going around in little arty teams to raise a few bob or am I being a sh!t and they are actually genuine?

Just wondering!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

All bought in from companies for a quick buck tbh.

Feic going door to door, anyone see yer one that set up Red Square with about 40 of them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nobody knows. Google has a few topics about it from Boards. They do it in Spain to (in the restraunts)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think they're genuine because they are very similar pictures a lot of the time. But sometimes they're hot females so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I had 3 of them over the course of 5 hours on Saturday I told the last one that there had been 2 before her selling art and she said not this art this art different and pulled out the same picture that one of the lads had pulled out. She was then checky enough to ask me for €2 anyway. cause she need to pay her student loan. I sujested she get a job. She then said no understand english.

Now how someone who doesn't understand english can have a conversation with me about how she needs the €2 to pay her loan one minute and doesn't the next, just astonds me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

did they have a little card saying read this?

• Advertisement

No little cards. I haven't seen them in about month. one came last night and said his friend was there saturday. She had told him that people had said to go back tuesday cause they would have been paid. I told him that I wasn't interested that I had enough art. He wanted to come in and see it that his art was better.

I think I'll put a note on my door saying no art please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I think most of this "art" are photocopies.
    We had these people around several times a while back. As far as I remember,the pictures they showed were in plastic folders so it was hard to tell if they were hand-drawn. If they were copies, that would explain why the same images keep appearing.
    Even if this is the case, I would feel sorry for these young people doing this if they were genuinely in need themselves. But like the art, you can't tell what is real.

I'd use the term art lighty. What they have is not to my taste in art maybe I'll tell the next one that comes that I like cubism or post-modern and see what the reaction is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I nearly got caught yesterday luckily being a warm day I had windows open and could hear the visit to next door. So I just ignored the seller when he rang.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

JPA wrote:
    I don't think they're genuine because they are very similar pictures a lot of the time. But sometimes they're hot females so it's not all bad.

I dont think there genuine at all.Readers beware too i have heard a lot of stories about these ''artists'' in the area.There is usualy a group of them and one will go to the front door to distract you (usually the hot female:D ) while another goes around trys to get in the back door and rob the joint:eek:
    So just watch out for it;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi Folks,

Is this in one particular area or all over town in general??

Advertisement