Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 30fps Movies in PAL Land ?

• 20-08-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I'm trying to figure out how best to use the 30fps movies (taken on almost all new compact or ultra slim digital camera) on PAL (25fps) equipment (TV's, DVD's etc).

I have a fairly good digital camera and a similarly fairly good dv camcorder. The quality from both of these is pretty good but neither of them are the type of camera you can just slip into your pocket and carry around with you. So now I want to buy a very portable compact point and shoot camera that takes reasonable pictures AND video. I'm willing to trade off high quality and control for portability. I've researched several cameras from Casio, Sony, Canon, etc and there are several models that should do the job quite well - BUT - they all take video at 30fps- I cannot find any cameras (except for an older Samsung) that takes video at 25fps (PAL). As the video aspect is important to me (I don't need DV-like high quality, but the video must be usable) I believe I may have a problem ! Please read on...

How to use 30 fps video on PAL equipment (25fps) ? Well, I know I can play the video back in PAL format from the digicam I took it on (all the cameras support this) - OK - this is fine for video you have just taken but it is not practical for showing video you have taken last week, month, year, or for sharing with relatives, etc. I can also look at the 30fps video on my PC - which doesn't care about the fps for playback. But I really want to watch my video on my TV and send it to my friends on DVD so they can play it on their DVD players. If I convert the 30fps to 25fps to make it compatible with PAL equipment it shows a very noticeable "stagger" as I'm effectively "throwing away" one frame out of every 6. So how can I best use this 30fps video ?

I'm sure I'm missing out on something here - as all the current crop of compact cameras with video capability use 30fps as their highest setting and none seem to support 25fps. I may not be thinking correctly about how I should be using, displaying and sharing the 30fps video (am I stuck with an "old" mpeg 2 DVD mentality ?). Perhaps someone here can help me out with some ideas. Sorry for such a long first post.....

Regards
    Will

Comments

Advertisement