Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical query - switch in bathroom

Options
  • 20-08-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I live in "The Wood" and what seems like a long time ago a helpful building foreman said "Hey Firstin would you like to have really good water pressure in your upstairs bathroom". I said Yes.

So now whenever I head for a shower I turn on the pump and all the plumbing in the house is pressurised with that annoying noise when anything is used. This can be a real pain, I also notice that when the toilet is filling one gets an on off action near the finish, which I am sure is not good for the pump, ballcock bounce I refer to it as, or perhaps i read that somewhere!

Anyway, can i just put a switch in the bathroom upstairs, some type of exterior switch so the water / steam doesn't interfere. The wiring would be real easy. I want to make sure I won't electrocute anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I didn't actually know that they did that in the earlier houses because in ours, 2nd phase, the pump is only connected to the shower itself and therefore only comes on if someone uses the shower itself.

However, I would assume that you should be able to do that without any major issues at all. As far as I can remember (long time since I looked in the hot press) the pump is connected via a normal plug socket? Shouldn't be any problems drilling a hole and then put a one way breaker on the outside?

Did you ever get your taps replaced like they did for us, or were you never asked as your whole house obviously is connected to the pump? The reason why I'm asking is due to the fact that the initial taps installed in our house were high-pressure taps and gave a very poor waterflow.

Don't know if it helped you at all... but no harm in trying to give input... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in our place (the grove) all the taps are connected to the pump and you can't turn it off - washing your hands is like turning on a firehose. The toilets aren't connected to it though - that does seem a bit odd.

Advertisement