Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im sick of archbishop brady conflating secularism and consumerism

Options
  • 20-08-2007 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0818/1187332073635.html

see down the page at http://cfcsolomons.blogspot.com/

in the irish times article he is quoted directly conflating consumerism and secularism as he has done before.

Sent this letter to various papers

Materialism not secularism
    I really object to how Mr Brady keeps
    conflating consumerism/materialism
    with secularism. It is an insult to all
    non-religious in Ireland. They might be
    the two noted trends of the modern era
    but I don't see the direct connection
    between them.

Consumerism is laziness, gluttony,
    conformity and pliableness. Is this
    secularism? To me secularism means
    thinking for ourselves and fully comprehending
    the outcome of our actions, it is a sign
    of Ireland's maturity that we increasingly
    do so rather then depend unquestionably
    on authority, His organisation is the
    prime example in Ireland of an authority
    having too much power over people
    and abusing its position, socially,
    politically and in relation to child abuse.
    He seems to pine for that era and wants
    to compete for influence with the mass
    media rather then see us more worldly
    aware.

By suggesting Northern Ireland should
    reduce it corporation tax to the same
    level as our own he goes against reports
    from CORI who question whether our low
    corporation tax shares the wealth fairly
    and provides us proper levels of social
    and public services. His concern for our
    emptiness and stress ignores that it is
    the relentless pace needed for the low
    tax Celtic Tiger which has made us live
    to work rather then work to live. He even
    suggested in his speech that financial
    institutions have social and moral authority?

To me the secular project is separation
    of church from state which some mistake
    as having as being complete, but with
    90% of primary schools still run by the
    Catholic church an unconstitutional
    monopoly through lack of choice in education
    still exists.

Earlier in the year the Taoiseach warned
    against 'aggressive secularists' although
    he still hasn't come up with any examples
    of any but I think I can warn Mr Brady
    of influence from aggressive materialists
    like Mr Ahern

its a bit rambling but.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Perhaps we should ask the good Archbishop how much his house is worth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm also betting he has a maid to cook and clean for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Galvasean wrote:
    Perhaps we should ask the good Archbishop how much his house is worth.

I think he's just a tenant, so that would be like criticising a council house tenant in Dublin because 'their' house is valued at a crazy amount.

PDN wrote:
    I think he's just a tenant, so that would be like criticising a council house tenant in Dublin because 'their' house is valued at a crazy amount.
    Serves me right for taring them all with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PDN wrote:

two words woods deal...

here a version of the article to make it more clear what I was trying to say

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/10943925?view=Eircomnet&cat=Top%20Stories
    There was clear evidence that "many people are getting tired of the emptiness and stress of a life built predominantly on secular and consumerist values".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I would forgive him but I'm secular, so I think I'll kick his face in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Well he is having a go at physics/mediums, the old "you stop believing in God and start believing in anything" argument, and the founder of Irish Physics Live has responded. Check out the examiner article

So I reckon we should get out the loungers crack open the beers sit back and enjoy the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's a good letter, but I suggest you change 'as having as being' in the second-last paragraph.

Although I am very much in agreement with him that Tarot cards, fortune tellers etc. are a bunch of baloney, as an atheist I find his comments slightly ironic considering his position in the church.

Laugh a minute uber catholic David Quinn and Irish Physics Live Tom "3 million profit last year" Higgins just going at it on the Last word. I'm telling you guys, just sit back, let them rip each other to shreds had we can pick over the remains at our leisure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Laugh a minute uber catholic David Quinn and Irish Physics Live Tom "3 million profit last year" Higgins just going at it on the Last word. I'm telling you guys, just sit back, let them rip each other to shreds had we can pick over the remains at our leisure

that's known as sitting on the fence..

Spyral wrote:
    that's known as sitting on the fence..
    No its not.
    Quinns main argument against physics/tarot was there is no evidence its works, sound familiar?
    Higgins main argument in favour was that people were sick of being told what to do by men in dresses so they choose to ring physics live (to be told what to do by a someone reading prompt cards at 2.50 a minute) and sure its all just a bit of fun anyway
    All this led to a flurry of texts pointing out the inconsistencies in both positions, which were easier to spot than shooting fish in a barrel, more like the fish were dead and floating around the surface and the gun was a blunderbus.
    Thats what I'm suggesting, wait for the fish to float

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

MoominPapa wrote:
    Quinns main argument against physics/tarot was there is no evidence its works, sound familiar?
    Higgins main argument in favour was that people were sick of being told what to do by men in dresses so they choose to ring physics live (to be told what to do by a someone reading prompt cards at 2.50 a minute) and sure its all just a bit of fun anyway
    That sounds interesting, alright.

Gonna give it a listen - "Last Word" archives here. :)

ps Third link on the page - 6pm file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

MoominPapa wrote:
    No its not.
    All this led to a flurry of texts pointing out the inconsistencies in both positions, which were easier to spot than shooting fish in a barrel, more like the fish were dead and floating around the surface and the gun was a blunderbus.
    Thats what I'm suggesting, wait for the fish to float

nah what disappoints me is they could have reacted to his first speech in america and discussion about secularism but no a middlebrow discussion about tarots cards is what became of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

why do all the atheists care anyway if you're an atheist then you dont beleive in a religion so therefore why do you give a toss about a religous leader

second in Catholicism of which he is the leader of in Ireland things like fortune telling are considered to be bad. He is informing his followers of that in case they dont know as well as making those who use them think about it a bit more.

Spyral wrote:
    second in Catholicism of which he is the leader of in Ireland things like fortune telling are considered to be bad. He is informing his followers of that in case they dont know as well as making those who use them think about it a bit more.
    Is taht all he is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Spyral wrote:
    why do all the atheists care anyway if you're an atheist then you dont beleive in a religion so therefore why do you give a toss about a religous leader

Mostly because we have to live with them. The majority of people continue to be theists.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

MoominPapa wrote:
    No its not.
    Quinns main argument against physics was there is no evidence its works, sound familiar?

Physics doesn't work?

Oh dear...

bluewolf wrote:
    MoominPapa wrote:
    Quinns main argument against physics was there is no evidence its works, sound familiar?
    Physics doesn't work?

Oh dear...

The quote function is so harsh on the uncorrected typo - still, either way, I don't think you need to worry. There's no evidence that things not working precludes you getting a job in them, as both sides of the debate amply demonstrate...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Has EVERYONE on this thread mispelled "psychics" or is there actually a phoneline you can call to enquire about the workings of gravity or the Big Bang Theory?

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Has EVERYONE on this thread mispelled "psychics" or is there actually a phoneline you can call to enquire about the workings of gravity or the Big Bang Theory?

Taurus: you will continue to feel the attraction of large masses. Invisible forces will make things fall to the floor if you let go of them, perhaps on your foot. Your lucky number is 9.81.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

JC 2K3 wrote:

No phone, just post on the Creation thread over on teh Christianity board. :eek: :D

No phone, just post on the Creation thread over on teh Christianity board. :eek: :D

Certainly it's sometimes the intellectual equivalent of what psychics do to your wallet. Still, I wouldn't go over just now, it's a bit...intense.

warningly,
    Scofflaw

Yeah well Galvasean mistyped "that" here:
    Galvasean wrote:
    Is taht all he is doing?
    :D
    Anyway, one misspelling was at 6:50am and the other was after a really heavy day in work,honest:o
    Now: GET BACK ON TOPIC:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

MoominPapa wrote:
    Yeah well Galvasean mistyped "that" here:
    Oh yeah, have a go at the dyslexic guy.

Advertisement