Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

learning to drive for my test(again)

Options
  • 20-08-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there, I am currently taking lessons (again) for my driving test for the second time! But I am going to a different instructor and I have been told a couple of contradictions between the two and I was wondering if I could get your opinion....
    When reversing around corners, you are hardly ment to use your wing mirrors and only look out your back window- which is really hard to do in my car !
    First guy told me just use mirrors and second guy told me not to use my mirrors and to rely mainly on looking out the back window!

And do you think the kind of car you drive will have an effect on how your test goes? I.e. I drive a brand new mini cooper, should I take the test in the instructor’s car??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My instructor says wing mirrors to judge where you are on the corner then as soon as you actually start to swing the corner you need to look out the back window aswell to make sure there is nothing behind you and it also helps you're straightening up.

Re the car, I'll be taking my test in my instructor's car because his is smaller and I am used to doing my manoeuvres in it. Also because it's older it's kind if rickety and you can hear more when you change gears and over-rev. It's up to you really, I feel I drive 'better' in his than I do in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

When I did my test in march, i only looked out the back window to check quickly, i used wing mirrors and rear-view mirrors mainly (along with checking the blind spots) and I got through it no bother. My instructor never said what i was doing was wrong, and the tested didn't mark me down for anything at all on it.

You do need to look out the back window, but you don't have to be constantly looking out it.

I used the passenger side mirror to straighten the car up (had it angled slightly downwards so I could do this) and found it very easy to do that way.

As for the car - i would do it in your own, as long as you have been practising in it. I did all my pre-test stuff in my own car, and I had been drivign for 9months in my own car so i knew how it 'behaved' in regards clutch control, timing of gear changes et cetra. I don't see the point in doing it in someone elses car unless you have to, or really are more used to the other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tauren wrote:
    I don't see the point in doing it in someone elses car unless you have to, or really are more used to the other car.
    Some people can be a bit complacent while driving their own vehicle but when they get into an instructor's car they are more psychologically focused on doing things correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Some people can be a bit complacent while driving their own vehicle but when they get into an instructor's car they are more psychologically focused on doing things correctly.
    I found the test and the need to pass more then enough to focus myself! I think once you are used to the size and characteristics of your car you may as well stick with it, but i understand your point.

Advertisement