Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E.U licence do they work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

SCAM SCAM SCAM

These guys operate a couple of different site's, all offering the same thing

You will never see your foreign licence, and if you send them your irish one to them you will never see that again either.

`you do have to wonder what they will do with all of your info:
    Name
    Address
    D.O.B
    Credit Card Details
    Driving Licence
    etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The theory of it is ok as far as I know.

But I wouldn't trust them with my money or details.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There is no such thing. A driving licence can only be issued by an authorised body, and can't simply be bought online.

I seize these all the time and so do my colleagues.

Next I take the vehicle because the person is not insured to drive it (no licence = no insurance).

Finally I report the person with a view to prosecution for the above mentioned offences.

In short - don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

psni wrote:
    (no licence = no insurance)
    Thats a very broad statement and would depend on the juristiction and the insurance company.

i actually looked into this a few months back, i already have a fullirish licence (Cat: A1, A, B, C1, C, D, D1, M, W) and i was looking to exchange it for a Polish or other EU licence,

Well.. long story short, i found another website offering the same thing, after research, i found a site that had reviews of the company and they were all bad.
    The company operates under a few differnt names, and basically your money just vanishes.

To be honest, it all does sound do'able.. but it is just a scam.

If someone wnats to try it out.. be my guest, but be sure to keep us informed.

• Advertisement

http://www.drivers.com/article/644/

read that ..it will tell you everything you need to know about these licences

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Thats a very broad statement and would depend on the juristiction and the insurance company.

I'm not aware of any motor insurance company within the EU who will insure a driver without a licence. At the very least, a provisional licence is required, but what the OP was referring to isn't even that.

I agree that 'no licence = no insurance' can be seen as broad, but taken within the context of the example I hope it seems less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jamesdoyle

i think you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

pa990 wrote:
    i actually looked into this a few months back, i already have a fullirish licence (Cat: A1, A, B, C1, C, D, D1, M, W) and i was looking to exchange it for a Polish or other EU licence

Nothing to stop you doing that. EU mutual recognition. If I were to go about it, I'd do it myself or with assistance of close friends.

Some things don't last the translation. My former sister-in-law was Japanese with a Japanese licence. One of her entitlements was for a (maximum) 80cc motorcycle. When she exchanged it for a UK licence, it came back with a fully unrestricted category A.

I'm entitled to use my UK licence, so I do. I wouldn't buy a licence because that would be obtaining one by deception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jamesdoyle

how do i know they are reg.
    is there any way to find out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/drivers/apply_IDP.htm
    DVLNI do no issue IDP's. These are issued by

* AA (Automobile Association)
    * RAC (Royal Automobile Association)

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/drivingpermit/
    An International Driving Permit is recognised internationally and allows the motorist to drive a motor vehicle without further formality.
    An International Driving Permit (IDP) is available to Irish Residents, with a current full Irish Driving Licence. Each Licence is valid for one year from date of issue.

You can get them in other countries too, if you have a full license.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit
    Converting your driving licence to an Irish driving licence
    If you are not from any of the following countries/States but you do hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you can drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit. (A temporary visit is regarded as a period not exceeding 12 months). If you will be resident in Ireland for more than 12 months (and again, are not from any of the following countries/States) , you will need to go through the full driving licencing procedures (see 'How to apply). Since 1 January 2003, you are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when motoring in Ireland.

Licences from EU/EEA States are recognised, licences from these countries/States are also recognised:

* Australia
    * Gibraltar
    * Isle of Man
    * Japan
    * Jersey
    * South Africa
    * South Korea
    * Switzerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tracyyy

James I got a licence from them last month it took ages to come though but it did in the end. I was really worried about as my friends told me I had been scammed. I think there is some people scamming but this company is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tracyyy wrote:
    this company is okay.
    How can the following be "okay"?

(from www.eulicences.com)

Ideally, you should be driving on a licence that is issued in a different E.U country to the country in which you are resident and driving for a number of reasons. The main reason is to make it more difficult for the authorities to log a permanent record of your driving licence and driving history should you be prosecuted for driving offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

tracyyy wrote:
    I think there is some people scamming but this company is okay.

Edit: I just noticed that this is your first post, tracyyy. Not associated with the site in question by any chance?

in any case, the following doesn't sound "okay" to me:
    Q. Can I still get an E.U. licence if I only have a provisional licence?

A. When we make the application process we only submit partial information from your driving licence for the forms we have to fill out. They do not ask for full information of the licence. The countries we apply to are not as sophisticated as the UK for example.

Q. Can I put extra categories such as motor cycle entitlement or HGV on the genuine licence?

A. Yes you may choose what categories you wish to have on your licence, but please don´t declare to us that you don´t hold these entitlements if you are speaking with one our agents.

Q. Why haven't you been shut down by the Police?

A. We are by definition working within grey areas! It is the nature of the aforementioned loophole which allows us to operate as we do. Whilst we do not expect the loophole to be everlasting we are confident that we are working safely within the law!

:eek:

Like others have said, it's not "okay". You are either a troll, or in possession of a worthless novelty card which was not issued from an authorised body. We confiscate these all the time if they are produced.

You have been warned!
    tracyyy wrote:
    James I got a licence from them last month it took ages to come though but it did in the end. I was really worried about as my friends told me I had been scammed. I think there is some people scamming but this company is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

psni wrote: »
    There is no such thing. A driving licence can only be issued by an authorised body, and can't simply be bought online.

I seize these all the time and so do my colleagues.

Next I take the vehicle because the person is not insured to drive it (no licence = no insurance).

Finally I report the person with a view to prosecution for the above mentioned offences.

In short - don't do it.

In short pal you shouldnt be taking their vehicles because of the insurance , No licence still means they are insured. You can maybe seize their vehicles if the dont have a licence but the fact that you havent a clue why your seizing theses peoples vehicles shows....... Just to think of All the vehicles you have taken illegitimately and when they find out, OOOh hope they dont read this post. Batten the hatches.....

Article 2

1. Each Member State shall take the necessary measures to ensure that any statutory provision or any contractual clause contained in an insurance policy issued in accordance with Article 3 (1) of Directive 72/166/EEC, which excludes from insurance the use or driving of vehicles by:

- persons who do not have express or implied authorization thereto, or

- persons who do not hold a licence permitting them to drive the vehicle concerned, or

- persons who are in breach of the statutory technical requirements concerning the condition and safety of the vehicle concerned,

shall, for the purposes of Article 3 (1) of Directive 72/166/EEC, be deemed to be void in respect of claims by third parties who have been victims of an accident.

However the provision or clause referred to in the first indent may be invoked against persons who voluntarily entered the vehicle which caused the damage or injury, when the insurer can prove that they knew the vehicle was stolen.

Member States shall have the option - in the case of accidents occurring on their territory - of not applying the provision in the first subparagraph if and in so far as the victim may obtain compensation for the damage suffered from a social security body

The long version basically states you are insured. So the long and short of it is they have right way and you dont.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Cool Cat

Anyone know if this site is for real or just a scam ?

http://fastlicence.net/

Your answer is here
    Cool Cat wrote: »
    Anyone know if this site is for real or just a scam ?

http://fastlicence.net/

Hi there. We only do what those in authority tell us we can do.

Read this for more information. If you still believe the action of seizing cars for no licence and/or insurance to be against EU law, you are free to complain to the appropriate Policing Board.
    pirelli wrote: »
    In short pal you shouldnt be taking their vehicles because of the insurance , No licence still means they are insured. You can maybe seize their vehicles if the dont have a licence but the fact that you havent a clue why your seizing theses peoples vehicles shows....... Just to think of All the vehicles you have taken illegitimately and when they find out, OOOh hope they dont read this post. Batten the hatches.....

Article 2

1. Each Member State shall take the necessary measures to ensure that any statutory provision or any contractual clause contained in an insurance policy issued in accordance with Article 3 (1) of Directive 72/166/EEC, which excludes from insurance the use or driving of vehicles by:

- persons who do not have express or implied authorization thereto, or

- persons who do not hold a licence permitting them to drive the vehicle concerned, or

- persons who are in breach of the statutory technical requirements concerning the condition and safety of the vehicle concerned,

shall, for the purposes of Article 3 (1) of Directive 72/166/EEC, be deemed to be void in respect of claims by third parties who have been victims of an accident.

However the provision or clause referred to in the first indent may be invoked against persons who voluntarily entered the vehicle which caused the damage or injury, when the insurer can prove that they knew the vehicle was stolen.

Member States shall have the option - in the case of accidents occurring on their territory - of not applying the provision in the first subparagraph if and in so far as the victim may obtain compensation for the damage suffered from a social security body

The long version basically states you are insured. So the long and short of it is they have right way and you dont.!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

psni wrote: »
    Hi there. We only do what those in authority tell us we can do.

Read this for more information. If you still believe the action of seizing cars for no licence and/or insurance to be against EU law, you are free to complain to the appropriate Policing Board.

You are wrong and right, i dont think you know how the site is supposed to work.

You can not, under european law, take the car off anyone who used this service. Its not possible, it would be a breach of european law.

The point is, this site is not giving you a fake, it is not selling you a licence. You pay them to apply for a licence in a forgein country.

So you recieve a full licence issued by the country in question. It is a licence, the person is insured, and you cant take their car.

I think the site is a scam, and no one should use it as they probably will never see their money again, But if it works like stated, then it is just a huge loophole and neither the psni nor the garda could do much about it, other than urge the european commision to close the loopholes.

maybe read the site? as a moderator informing people of the legality?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Beware of sites that claim to be using a loophole and saying it's legal - it probably means they haven't been prosecuted yet or are in a different juristriction, here we have seen many businesses operating totally illegally and only desisting when the full force of the law was applied.
    From my previous post you can exchange many licenses for an Irish one legally ( D.900 form need ;) )

Also if it was legal why would you pay €600 for a €25 license ????

http://www.eulicences.com/faq.html
    Q. Can this really be legal?

A. We fill out the application forms required to process your application. We are submitting the details you provide to the issuing department acting on these details. You don´t need you to lie on the forms! Just give us the information required. We are exploiting a legal loophole but it is legal for the moment. This may change at anytime!

Q. How much does it cost?

A. Anywhere between 400 Euros to 600 Euros depending on your choice of application process, you may want the full exchange service for your native country (see Payment Page).

COST OF AN IRISH LICENSE
    Fee of €15.00 for a three year licence or €25.00 for a 10 year licence.

HOW TO GET AN IRISH LICENSE
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/full_driving_licence
    f you are exchanging a current full driving licence issued by another EU member state or issued by a designated "recognised state" for licence exchange purposes, you must also submit a D.900 declaration form (pdf), which is available from your local Motor Taxation Office. On this form, you must make a declaration that the licence you are surrendering is both valid and current.

Section 115 of the road traffic act 1961 - Nop. 24 fo 1961 - provides that any person applying for a provisional licence shall not furnish false or misleading information in connection with such application. Any person contravening this requirement is liable to prosecution and penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Most likely if they'54 sending out licenses, they've got an office with a credit card printer somewhere and are printing them off on that. You'd be better off paying £15 and getting one from one of those sites where underage kids get their IDs.

Those eulicensedotwhatever sites are honey pots for morons. At least they're a clever way of getting idiots who've clocked up driving bans to surrender their licenses...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Funny how this got ressurected by mr ProdigalSon referring to it as a "service" GUFFAW, the same day it was featured on the RTE news as a scam.
    The licences ARE FAKE.
    The gardai, the British police, the DVLI and the licence office in the Custom House are all aware of this site and they have said these "liscamses" are not legal.
    So if you have one of these, you dont have a licence, you are not insured according to the terms of your insurance company and the police force of any country should feel free to do what they like with your vehicle and let you argue the toss in court at our own leisure.
    And the gardai have said they are looking out for them so if you are caught driving with this instead of a real licence, a s***load of trouble is on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ren0O

nobody has credibly answered the oiriginal question and im still a little clueless, i would question what wil just said considering a few months previous the authoritys were saying its a genuine loophole in the law and this company was legitimately getting people full irish driving licenses and the goverment were trying to have eu law changed so not to realise until months later its a scam just selling fakes is rubbish and highly unlikely imo, either its a coverup to stop people using the service them or they finally closed the loophole but the company was once legit according to the newspapers and press at time, they transfer an irish provision to one of the accession eastern european states who have no provisional license system so you get a full for their country and is in turn transferred back to a full irish driving license,

and what Capt'n Midnight is saying is absolute rubbish too, i dunno if you got your full driving license for 15.00 euro but you must have been dreaming at the time, the cost of the test, the license, getting lessons to kick bad habits and know what to watch out for andf time wasted and taken off to do all this stuff not to mention a waiting list costs hundreds and theirs still probably about a 40-50% chance you will fail on average so 500 aint expensive in context if it is a genuine,

traccy never replied so could be from the company considering it his first post so cant put credit on his staement either i guess.

So can anyone who actually knows what their talking about or has used it tell me if it is genuine or not rather than people who havent a clue making silly statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Gosh...another freshly-registered, one-post poster trying to make a case that it could be above board.

How....convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ren0O wrote: »
    im still a little clueless,
    That says it all really

too funny, you think im a company affilate or something? get your head out of a rubbish bin it was above board and was all over the radio & media last November ironically almost no one heard about it til then, if you dont want to take my word for it back track to old news articles before opening your mouth.

bonkey wrote: »
    Gosh...another freshly-registered, one-post poster trying to make a case that it could be above board.

How....convincing.

not trying to convince anybody, never said it was genuine i said it was going on legitimately trough the loophole and our government was trying to stop it thats a fact (check old newspaper articles i can give you links if you cant mange to find any), your not even irish, so its beyond me why your even posting or have a clue about affairs over here so just go away and let someone nice answer the question, as for my posts im sorry i dont have as many as some internet nerd like you who spends their time trying to demean people online, get a life and you have my pity.

so does anyone actually know the current situation with this in eu law and ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Ren0O wrote: »
    your not even irish, so its beyond me why your even posting or have a clue about affairs over here

I think you should learn the difference between nationality and nation of residence.
    I think you should also consider that one does not need to be of a nation to have a clue about that nations affairs.
    so just go away and let someone nice answer the question, as for my posts im sorry i dont have as many as some internet nerd like you who spends their time trying to demean people online, get a life and you have my pity.
    Given teh amount of name-calling and insulting you've just engaged in, targetted at me, I would suggest you save your pity for yourself. I, at least, am not hypocritical enough to name-call whilst complaining about the tone that others engage in.
    so does anyone actually know the current situation with this in eu law and ireland?
    A member of the police has posted here, clarifying that this is a scam, and that the issued 'license' (if you even get one..some just take the money and run) is not valid.

If you don't accept that as clarification, perhaps you'd be good enough to define what would. Ultimately, this is an internet forum. No-one should trust their decisions on legality on what anyone says here. If you want absolute clarification, contact the authorities.

• Advertisement

firstly he is psni which is not Irish police its northern Irish (ie. United Kingdom)

secondly he didnt clarify anything (im starting to think you actually dont bother reading any of the replys just scan trough 1 or 2 words) he didnt refer to this website sepcifically and may never have even heard of it (by the sounds of it you never have either and just trying to pick a fight) he just said that you cant buy a license it can only be issued from an authorised body what this company were doing, which is actually totally irrelevent to the topic considering the whole thing is about one company filling out your applications and paperwork to exploit the loophole so the authorised body would be issueing it to you. Their not selling licenses their exhanging provisional for full licenses trough transfers to eastern european countries.

thirdly he may not even be a police officer altough he probably is by the sounds of it

your right you dont need to be of a nation to know of its affairs but you obviously dont have any insight or information about this, im just asking a simple question of which you dont know the answer and your just here picking a fight so please go away.

so anyone know if its currently being exploited as it was here before christmas or have the authorities closed it down yet?

Advertisement