Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine - five yearsr or six years?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

How does UCD decide between who gets to complete the degree in five years and who gets to complete it in six?*

*= e.g. would a person with A2's in all three sciences (bio, phys and chem, all H level) but was just abrely at the cut off for points be allowed do only five?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Its only offered to those 590 - 600 points applicants with 2 or more sciences I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Yep that and sometimes if you've done a year of a related course. I do physio and someone went to 1st medical year + I don't think they had the 590/600 points normally needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

So if you get 590-600 you do the degree in 5 years and less than 590 you do it in six. Sounds a bit daft.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    So if you get 590-600 you do the degree in 5 years and less than 590 you do it in six. Sounds a bit daft.

No if you get 590-600 you get the option to do it in 5, you can still do pre-med if you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

That's still daft, their is little difference between 580-590-600 points as it may be "On the day exam" last June which caused such an increase....Stupid system.

• Advertisement

Lucas10101 wrote:
    That's still daft, their is little difference between 580-590-600 points as it may be "On the day exam" last June which caused such an increase....Stupid system.

Agreed, would make a lot more sense to let people with 2/3 A1s in the sciences in, I think eventually they want pre-med phased out in UCD, and somebody somewhere came up with this. I do think there is some degree of flexibility, like I was saying about someone I knew who did a year of physio, and to my knowledge if someone has to wait a year cause they went up in re-checks but had already missed too much college, they're generally allowed to go straight to first medical year.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

dajaffa wrote:
    Agreed, would make a lot more sense to let people with 2/3 A1s in the sciences in, I think eventually they want pre-med phased out in UCD, and somebody somewhere came up with this. I do think there is some degree of flexibility, like I was saying about someone I knew who did a year of physio, and to my knowledge if someone has to wait a year cause they went up in re-checks but had already missed too much college, they're generally allowed to go straight to first medical year.

I don't think UCD want to phase out PRE MED I'm a med student and seriously that thing is there for one thing and one thing only money. Trekking foreign students in to do very basic subjects just so they can get the $30k out of each of them for an extra year. 33 foreign students in Pre MED = 1 million plus the government grant for each Irish Student. When I was in Pre MED we had 9 hours a week total class time. It has changed with modularization but still remains a joke for Irish students and a large bank loaner for foreigners.

Advertisement