Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

French Learner Plates

Options
  • 21-08-2007 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Since learning to drive ive become more conscious of the driving of other drivers, of car makes and particularly learner drivers, can anybody tell me the difference between the two French Learner plates, Have seen both an A and two people stickers ona recent holiday and want to know the difference....thanks
    learners.jpg

cant find a picture of the other one but it looks like two cartoon people.....:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Probably some sort of graduated driver licensing system like what they have in Canada and the US

link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AFAIK the "A" means accompaineé ie the driver is a learner accompanied by a qualified driver.

Much like Ireland, officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Cool thanks for the replies so far.....any suggestions on the sticker with two people on it??

Sorry my first post was inaccurate.

The red A is used for the first year after passing your test. The conduite accompagnee is as our L plates, learning with an licensed driver (must be over 28 and hold a B license for min of 3 years) next to you.

Interestingly if the car is stopped at a checkpoint both the driver and his "teacher" may be breathalysed. If the teacher is over the limit he is prosecuted as if he were driving. I wonder if that holds true in Ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Hagar wrote:
    Interestingly if the car is stopped at a checkpoint both the driver and his "teacher" may be breathalysed. If the teacher is over the limit he is prosecuted as if he were driving. I wonder if that holds true in Ireland?

Not sure of the exact law, but I'm pretty certain it would be an offence of some sort.

I read somewhere about 12 months of learning and clocking up 3000km too. Doesn't appear to do anything for road safety as their driving behaviour / accident record is as bad as is here :rolleyes:

On the upside, it's not in the Portuguese / Greek league. :D

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote:
    I read somewhere about 12 months of learning and clocking up 3000km too. Doesn't appear to do anything for road safety as their driving behaviour / accident record is as bad as is here :rolleyes:

You're right about the 12 months and 3000km.

The driving over here would put the fear of God into you. In general they are very good on motorways but stone mad on ordinary roads. They do not know the meaning of courtesy for other drivers. Most of the time it's like the chariot race from Ben-Hur.:D

Funnily enough they are very good in their awareness of cyclists / bikes. I was told it's because most French people would have started off on scooters at 14. My soon who is 13 has already passed his scooter test in school, yes it is part of the school curriculum, and is expecting a scooter for his birthday. I'm a bit worried about that TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Hagar wrote:
    You're right about the 12 months and 3000km.

The driving over here would put the fear of God into you. In general they are very good on motorways but stone mad on ordinary roads. They do not know the meaning of courtesy for other drivers. Most of the time it's like the chariot race from Ben-Hur.:D ....

And that's not to mention the often bizarre priorité à droite (right-side priority)

Advertisement