Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees

Options
  • 21-08-2007 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

if i were to start in a course in september and quit in a relatively quick time, would it still mean i'd have to pay full fees for a course that i'd start the following year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

______ wrote:
    if i were to start in a course in september and quit in a relatively quick time, would it still mean i'd have to pay full fees for a course that i'd start the following year?

Best to check with the registrations office of the college you withdrew from...

When I started in DIT, they told us we had a period of grace, whereby you could withdraw from the course and would not be eligible for fees in your next course...

But again, it may differ. So best to just get in contact with someone from the Registrations Office, I'm sure they could easily clear this up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

mcauley wrote:

When I started in DIT, they told us we had a period of grace, whereby you could withdraw from the course and would not be eligible for fees in your next course...

i dropped out of dit 3 weeks after registration and i do not have to pay fees for my new course this year if that helps at all

edit; i got my registration fee back and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

forgot to mention i haven't actually done any courses in college this is just looking like something thats very likely to happen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok, there are three things that happen... If you drop out after christmas, you have to pay full fees the following year, if it's before Christmas then you have to pay half fees and if it's in first month or so then you get free fees following year...

I'm not 100% sure on this, but when i was in first year, i hated my course, wanted to drop out and had all this figured out, it was end of October you had to drop out to get free fees for following year... (i ended up transferring college instead)

Your best bet is to talk to someone like your guidance councillor from your school or ring up the college you'll be going to, they'll be able to give you the best advice...

Yeah, you have a few weeks or a month of grace in which if you don't like your course you can drop out and still have your 'free fees'. If you stick it through 'til January and then drop out, you will have to pay for half a year but the rest is free. If you decide to drop out, don't just not go to class - you will need to sign a form, or else (if you drop out after a month) you will be assumed to have stayed there for the entire first half.

If you aren't happy with your course, go see your tutor or student services area to ask if an internal college transfer is possible. Lots of people in college transfer course in first year (/me waves!) but you'll need to have the points and such for the course you're looking to apply into.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement