Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need information on emigrating to Australia....

• 21-08-2007 4:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Me and my friend want to emigrate to Australia sometime. We're not entirely sure on how to do it or what's involved! Can we just go there and search for a job or do we have to get a job before or get citizenship before? I'd really appreciate some help as this is an important time for me and I don't want to get there and be sent back!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

start on the Backpacker Visa. Do this quickly as there is going to be an election soon and I have a sneaky suspicion that the Trade Unions are just bullin to Fcuk this country up and regress us back into the dark ages of the 70's.

but at the the moment its quite easy to become an Australian

FFS they let ME live here, so standards are low:)

if yer fit, healthy, speak english and have any form of trade or qualification
    then entry will be easy at the moment.

however once the unions get control smart arse foreigners who think they're better than the local bogens with their worldly experience and qualifications will be shunned in order to protect those union members uncapable of adapting or evolvin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Hmm, what type of trade or qualifications would these be? I'm only a young lad so I haven't much behind my name. I've worked in a few places and have my junior and leaving cert, but I would say I have a "Trade". This is what worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So Glad wrote:
    Me and my friend want to immigrate to Australia sometime.

You can't!

EOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Slow coach wrote:
    You can't!

EOT.
    Heh. :)

OP, try here, here, here and here.
    Plenty of reading for you in those forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

well a trade or qualification would help cut through the mountains of paperwork which arise after you get here and decide you want to stay, however if yer Young and Irish just come over on the 2 year backpacker visa, find a job you like, get a sponsor (Aussie company that like you and want to keep ya) and yer laughin, best bit of advice I could give you is to avoid Sydnry if you're going that route and try some of the smaller townd around SEQ/Gold coast.

what sort of work experience do you have??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Go on the working holiday visa first. That gives you a year over there, and with the restrictions that you can only work for a one employer for a maximum of six months. The year will give you the chance to figure out if you actually like it. Then the best option is to try and find a job or agency that is willing to sponsor you. This means that they pay for a four year visa, but obviously you then have to work for this employee for four years, or get another employee to take over the sponsorship (not sure how this works exactly but is possible). The other options said is to get a skilled visa however these require you to have a qualification and/or relevant work experience (2/3/4 years). Look www.migration.ie and try get in contact with them. The will be able to explain the best options for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Slow coach wrote:
    You can't!

EOT.

He can on the other hand emmigrate to Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Slow coach wrote:
    You can't!

EOT.

Reminds me of, "So is you on here on holiday?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAI1nAV37kE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Collie D wrote:
    He can on the other hand emmigrate to Australia

Or emigrate, even! Or migrate. But, yes, deffo not immigrate. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Oh bollix! Messed up the spelling there! *hides head*

Yeah, my working experience.....about 4 month in a factory making chemicals, about 2 weeks in a hardware shop (work experience) and 2-3 months in a video rental store. Nothing serious. I suppose it's best to get the back packer's thing, then work my way in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

So Glad wrote:
    Oh bollix! Messed up the spelling there! *hides head*

Yeah, my working experience.....about 4 month in a factory making chemicals, about 2 weeks in a hardware shop (work experience) and 2-3 months in a video rental store. Nothing serious. I suppose it's best to get the back packer's thing, then work my way in.

Without wanting to sound mean, but your work experience wont count for anything. When i said work experience it was for a number of years in a skilled field. What the consider skilled fields can be found on their web sites. The best bet I would say is the back packer thing and tyr get sponsored but get in touch with the site i linked to earlier thats your best bet for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Go on the working holiday visa first. That gives you a year over there, and with the restrictions that you can only work for a one employer for a maximum of six months. The year will give you the chance to figure out if you actually like it. Then the best option is to try and find a job or agency that is willing to sponsor you. This means that they pay for a four year visa, but obviously you then have to work for this employee for four years, or get another employee to take over the sponsorship (not sure how this works exactly but is possible). The other options said is to get a skilled visa however these require you to have a qualification and/or relevant work experience (2/3/4 years). Look www.migration.ie and try get in contact with them. The will be able to explain the best options for you.

How does the visa system for Australia , New Zealand and Canada work. If i applied on my qualifications and experience and get a visa based on those would i have to get a job in those fields. In my case it would be Engineering/telecomms. So i got the visa could i automatically enter those countires and search for work or would i need to have a job before i enter. And what if the only job i got was not in those fields/professions. Does that mean i have to gave up the visa?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So Glad wrote: »
    Need information on emigrating to Australia....

The first rule of travelling to Australia club is that you do not talk about Australia when you return.

The second rule of travelling to Australia club is that you do not talk about Australia when you return

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1121 should be able to answer any questions you have folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement