Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Irish housewarming gift

Options
  • 21-08-2007 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Greetings! I'm a newbie from Illinois, USA with a question I hope you will be able to help me with. A good friend's family is moving to a new home and I would love to get them a very traditional Irish housewarming gift. The problem is I don't know what that would be. I've heard everything from a lump of coal to a Bridig's Cross. I respect this family very very much and would like to be able to give the history of the gift at the time of giving. If anyone has a suggestion, I would be grateful. Hope you all are well and thank you in advance for your time.

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Alot of "Traditional" Irish gifts in general can be hideously stereotyped and not have any real relevance to anything other than to try con tourists e.g. - Remind them of home with "Genuine" Sods of Irish Turf etc.

Off the top of my head a common enough housewarming gift could be one of those "Bless This House" style plaques, generally though these would be more suited to an older home owner.

Personally I usually go with a nice bottle of wine (or spirit if I know what the home owner drinks).

Hope this helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The first time you visit someones house you should bring a box of teabags. Not quite the same thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

A Dublin tradition that my Granny did for my Mam and then my Mam did for all of us when we moved into our first homes :
    A bag of food (bread, milk, meat and other essentials), a bag of coal and a purse with a small amount of money. As far as I know it is a Dublin tradition and the gifts are given in the hope that you never go hungry, cold or penniless in your new home.
    You could update this idea and bring a nice basket of tempting posh foods, a Bord na Mona firepack and some shiny coins. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

jos28 wrote:
    the hope that you never go hungry, cold or penniless in your new home

That's lovely!

Don't forget a 'good luck in your new home' card.

Advertisement