Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stokes fails to report for u21 duty

• 21-08-2007 7:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

Givens up in arms as AWOL Stokes misses Nuremberg rally

THE brief but colourful career of Anthony Stokes took another twist last night when the Sunderland striker failed to report for under-21 international duty.

After incurring the ire of Roy Keane for missing a rendezvous time for a club match, Stokes has now earned a black mark from Republic of Ireland under-21 team manager Don Givens.

Givens was furious to learn that his side would not have the 19-year-old Dubliner with them for tonight's friendly against Germany half an hour after the player's were due to meet.

The Black Cats starlet failed to show at the appointed time when the UK-based members of the Irish squad assembled at London City airport to fly to Nuremburg.

Upon ringing the player, Givens discovered that Stokes had withdrawn through an unspecified injury and the manager is livid with both the player and the club for the situation.

"I rang Anthony on his mobile to ask him where he was and he said: 'I'm in Dublin, did the boss not get in touch with you?'" explained the Irish under-21 chief.

"I told Anthony than I'd heard nothing and he said: 'Well, I picked up a knock on Saturday and the boss told me twice that he'd sort it."

"My reaction was that it was also his responsibility to phone me. I'm very disappointed to find myself in that position," said Givens.

"As soon as the squad was announced Blackburn were on to me to tell me that Keith Tracey was injured and offered to send me the results of his scan. That shows how thorough they are.

"I'm very disappointed to find another Premier League club not behaving in a similar fashion."

Sunderland's medical staff contacted the FAI on Saturday to withdraw Paul McShane from the senior squad but Givens has been unable to track any notification of Stokes's injury. "The Sunderland physio rang the FAI straight after the Wigan game about McShane's injury and I find it hard to understand why if Anthony was injured it wasn't said then," said Givens.

Treatment

"I also find it a little hard to understand that if Anthony Stokes is injured what is he doing in Dublin? Surely he should be back at the club getting treatment.

"What really annoys me is that it has denied another player a place in the squad."

Givens has named his side for tonight's game with Patrick Cregg earning a recall after a year out of the side.

IRELAND (Under-21 v Germany) - Randolph (Charlton); Kane (Blackburn), O'Halloran (Aston Villa), Keogh (Bristol City), O'Dea (Celtic), Cregg (Falkirk), S Quinn (Sheffield Utd), Gleeson (Wolves), O'Brien (Celtic), Rooney (Stoke City), Clarke (Ipswich).

taken from here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Now I see why Wenger sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Poor form alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

thats not the players fault surely though

if the manager says he'll sort it, he should do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Givens giving him a roasting by the media, classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

event wrote:
    thats not the players fault surely though

if the manager says he'll sort it, he should do
    Why is he in Dublin if he is injured?

• Advertisement

True enough . . . almost as if his manager has no respect for the international team . . . oh hold on . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

True enough . . . almost as if his manager has no respect for the international team . . . oh hold on . . .
    Or maybe he thought it was sorted - as Sunderland immediately informed the senior side McShane would not be available. Lets not go hammering people without knowing the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

CiaranC wrote:
    Why is he in Dublin if he is injured?

how would i know?

sure maybe he is home visiting family

Tauren: what does the Sunderland people informing the Irish team of Mc Shanes injury have to do with Stokes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

One of my friends knows Stokes well from the Ireland under age scene and if what Ive heard is anything to go by, this was his own doing and he wont give a toss either.

• Advertisement

Tauren: what does the Sunderland people informing the Irish team of Mc Shanes injury have to do with Stokes?!
    Well, if sunderland are informing the FAI of one player withdrawing, why would they not inform them the other was too. It is reasonable to assume that Keane told whoever is responsible for informing the national associations of these matters to sort both the mcshane and stokes issues at the same time. Maybe, just maybe, it is not keane showing a lack of respect of the national side.

Ok but it is alo Keanes responsibility that the team find out, as both manager and informing Stokes that he would, If the team wasn't told, blame lies with Keane.

To be honest Tauren, might be a little harsh on him to automatically think that it is lack of respect, but given his history what else am i meant to think?!

Ok but it is alo Keanes responsibility that the team find out, as both manager and informing Stokes that he would, If the team wasn't told, blame lies with Keane.

To be honest Tauren, might be a little harsh on him to automatically think that it is lack of respect, but given his history what else am i meant to think?!
    well we have differing views regarding his history, so we aren't likely to come to an agreement.

I agree that the ultimate responsibility for team affairs lies with Keane, but miscommunication happens.

Agbonlahor didn't turn up for the English Under 21's, and it turned out Martin O'Neill had told he'd sort it with Pearce that he could hook up with the squad a bit later. This didn't happen, for whatever reason, but there was no outcry that O'Neill had no respect for the english national side.

well if i was english, i would have had issues with O'Neill

No you wouldnt because he didnt play for United, face it.

Archimedes, don't tell me what i think, please.

but given his history what else am i meant to think?!

Well, you did ask :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

stay on topic lads, gettin annoyed at this constant bickering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I seem to recall Stokes being fined/banned by Keane for missing the Sunderland bus last year. Sounds to me like he's lacking discipline.

Big time, everything I've heard about him suggests he has something of an attitude problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He has a column in the Star on mondays, must pick it up next monday and see what he says for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tbh it's nobodies problem but Stoke's. if he wants to fudge up his career because he as a few delusions of grandeur or whatever then let him.

Advertisement