Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY wooden floor any help????

Options
  • 21-08-2007 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

hi,
    i have few question about floor. as i don't have any experience in wood so may be i can pick your brains.
    i want to have wooden floor in my kitchen dinning area and entrance hall on concrete base floor without any level problem, in total i need around 33 sq.m wood.
    1. question what type of underlay would be better?
    (door_frame_hand_saw_2.jpg
    this one i found in B&Q 56€/9.5 sq.m.

2. can any one comments on bamboo floor price 29€/sq.m?
    3. how about about waterproofing do i need waterproofing?
    4. and most important Its DIY.
    any comments any suggestion would be very helpful. and last thing that picture is from ultimatehandyman . co . uk and says nothing about glue do i need to glue plunks or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

there are leaflets in B&Q giving info about the different types of underlay
    they recommend you use damp proofing if putting floor onto concrete...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

B&Q have a DVD for about €3 which explains the whole process of laying laminate and real wood flooring. It explains the different types of underlay and their applications. Gives a full demo of laying floors from start to finish. Looks very good to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah the info in there is great, maybe the lads in the Wood work forum could advise on costs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hhmmm ok sure i bought a diy book not very helpful 34€ to bin.
    he explained solid wood floor in few lines and how to lay them thats all:mad: do you know the name of that dvd? and in what section it is if you don't mind please

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey Wasim,

Im going to go off topic but I think its some good advice.

From what I can see lately you are pretty much renovating a house.
    Take it from someone who learned the hard way, do one job at a time and dont even think about another one until the first one is finished, completely.
    Otherwise you end up in the middle of too many jobs and the house will not feel like its progressing at all.

This can be very depressing and demoralising.

Go around the house with a pen and paper to each room.
    Write down what needs to be done.
    Figure out whats best to do first (like install spotlights before you tile the floor above,etc) and then work on each job ticking them off as you go.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

GreeBo thanks for your advice but i m not that slow to do one job a time.
    second its not a renovation project just a newly build house where i need few small small things.
    i dont want to buy pen today paper tomorrow.
    GreeBo wrote:
    Hey Wasim,

Im going to go off topic but I think its some good advice.

From what I can see lately you are pretty much renovating a house.
    Take it from someone who learned the hard way, do one job at a time and dont even think about another one until the first one is finished, completely.
    Otherwise you end up in the middle of too many jobs and the house will not feel like its progressing at all.

This can be very depressing and demoralising.

Go around the house with a pen and paper to each room.
    Write down what needs to be done.
    Figure out whats best to do first (like install spotlights before you tile the floor above,etc) and then work on each job ticking them off as you go.

Hope this helps.

so gusy instead of buying bamboo i end up buying solid oak in B&Q and i also have that b&q video about solid floor installation and i think sticky underlay is best option for me and easy as well. other options which is glue, secret nail i don't really feel comfortable. still open to get any idea or suggestions.

Advertisement