Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The downward spiral of taste

Options
  • 21-08-2007 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

It occurred to me last night while flicking through the music channels, that todays taste in music is possibly the worst of any era. For example, Mika. How this guy even got near a recording studio is beyond me. Its pure camped up, earaching **** at its lowest. Lyrics that don't make any sense, terrible backing tracks and songs that seem to be designed just to irritate anyone who listens to them.

Then you've got your "Indie" bands, who all sound exactly the ****ing same as each other, but it seems to be the cool thing to be into this now. Just look at Pete Doherty. He's a ****ing smack head who makes some of the worst music ever (in terms of both musical and lyrical content) yet people are obsessed with him????

Of course then, there are the likes of Cascada. Bland dance music with no soul whatsoever but it seems to sell by the bucketload.

I've never been a fan of music that gets played on the radio, but if I was to pick one single year in which the radio was actually listenable it would be 1993. Back then, songs had melodies that would stick in your head for years to come and music didn't seem as ridiculous as it does today.

The above post may sound bitter, but its just my reflection on what the music of today is like. Do you think we'll ever get a return to quality, or are people now just too stupid and too concerned with the current trend for it to ever change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's always phenominal music being released, it's just never in the charts. You just have to look a little deeper than what's pushed in people's faces by record companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think you're getting old!

Personally I can't listen to today's crap either. Indie music is probably the worst offender in terms of lacking any sort of originality.

Of course there still are decent musicians out there, just most of what is on the pop scene is drivel. Quite recently I have discovered dance music and there really is some amazing stuff, if you sift through the likes of tiesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Of course, and its only away from the mainstream where you will find any good music nowadays. I think with the current state of "pop music", its fans are doomed to a life of crap taste. I mean, anybody who finds Mika listenable in anyway does not deserve to have a pair of ears..

What can you do? There are a lot of stupid people out there. I mean, people actually watch rubbish like Big Brother, so there has to be a musical equivelant of such an intellectual drainage ditch.

There's nothing you can do. Its just a shame to see whats being passed as music these days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. There's always good music being made and there's always ****e music being made. Sometimes you have to look harder for the good stuff.

I suppose not everyone realises what a genius Devin Townsend is. Or for that matter, has ever even heard of him.

Devin Townsend is indeed a genius ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Part of the problem with music is how easy it is to get anything at all out. That and the fact that we have become complete slaves to the marketing of it. Sandy Thom is a very good example - extremely average but a huge success. Most music stations operate off playlists and also reflect the fact that the music buying public "appear to be" aged between 9 and 16.

Easy access also means lots more music and there is some pleasure in "discovering" new stuff. Dig around and you'll find stuff more to your liking.

DarkJager wrote:
    Devin Townsend is indeed a genius ;)

All is not lost if there's still Devy to be listened to. :)

There's still a few of his albums I've not got yet though, so that's something to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DarkJager wrote:
    It occurred to me last night while flicking through the music channels, that todays taste in music is possibly the worst of any era. For example, Mika. How this guy even got near a recording studio is beyond me. Its pure camped up, earaching **** at its lowest. Lyrics that don't make any sense, terrible backing tracks and songs that seem to be designed just to irritate anyone who listens to them.

Then you've got your "Indie" bands, who all sound exactly the ****ing same as each other, but it seems to be the cool thing to be into this now. Just look at Pete Doherty. He's a ****ing smack head who makes some of the worst music ever (in terms of both musical and lyrical content) yet people are obsessed with him????

Of course then, there are the likes of Cascada. Bland dance music with no soul whatsoever but it seems to sell by the bucketload.

I've never been a fan of music that gets played on the radio, but if I was to pick one single year in which the radio was actually listenable it would be 1993. Back then, songs had melodies that would stick in your head for years to come and music didn't seem as ridiculous as it does today.

The above post may sound bitter, but its just my reflection on what the music of today is like. Do you think we'll ever get a return to quality, or are people now just too stupid and too concerned with the current trend for it to ever change?
    Well done Darkjager, you've just described in a couple of paragraphs what I absolutely abhor about the state of music today. And that's pious snobs that are so worried about what other people are listening to rather than getting on with and enjoying their own thing.

I'm sorry but why the hell do you give a sh1t what other people listen to? There is more music about at the moment than their ever was.

I suppose there has always been people like you that seem to be more obsessed with other people are listening to rather than getting on with whatever floats your boat.

Sh1t music (whatever that is? Just cos you don't like it doesn't mean it's sh1t) has always been around but there has always been amazing music available too, sometimes you just need to search for it.

Sometimes my head spins with the thought of the amount of music out there that I'm trying to get through, there isn't enough hours in the day.

Bazmo: I'm not at all obsessed with what other people are listening to, and frankly I couldn't give a ****. The point of my post is not to pick holes in peoples tastes, but a personal opinion on the degradation of the quality of music being released. Make no mistake about it, it has hit rock bottom regardless of what you or anyone else considers to be good music.

Music (even commercial pop music) had a bit of soul and flair to it once. Todays cesspool of talent is all sold on shallow, lifeless songs. Music is a powerful artform and as such, has the potential to make you feel emotions. But on the flipside, it also has the potential to dumb the audience down, particularly the vapid, empty crap that is being played on radio stations every single day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

BaZmO* wrote:
    Well done Darkjager, you've just described in a couple of paragraphs what I absolutely abhor about the state of music today. And that's pious snobs that are so worried about what other people are listening to rather than getting on with and enjoying their own thing.

I'm sorry but why the hell do you give a sh1t what other people listen to? There is more music about at the moment than their ever was.

I suppose there has always been people like you that seem to be more obsessed with other people are listening to rather than getting on with whatever floats your boat.

Sh1t music (whatever that is? Just cos you don't like it doesn't mean it's sh1t) has always been around but there has always been amazing music available too, sometimes you just need to search for it.

Sometimes my head spins with the thought of the amount of music out there that I'm trying to get through, there isn't enough hours in the day.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

DarkJager wrote:
    Bazmo: I'm not at all obsessed with what other people are listening to, and frankly I couldn't give a ****. The point of my post is not to pick holes in peoples tastes, but a personal opinion on the degradation of the quality of music being released.
    So you're not worried about what other people listen to, yet you're concerned about what's being played on the radio and what's being released? Is that not a contradiction?

DarkJager wrote:
    Make no mistake about it, it has hit rock bottom regardless of what you or anyone else considers to be good music.
    I'm sorry but that's just bullsh1t. There is so much good music around at the moment and as myself and other people have said, you just need to look harder for it.

Have you heard of a band called Dimmu Borgir? Probably the greatest band around at the moment making truly original, groundbreaking and aw inspiring music. Don't know how you can say music has hit rock bottom when you've got bands like that doing their stuff.

Music on the radio might have hit rock bottom at the moment (in your opinion) but seriously, who gets their "music to buy" lists from commercial radio?

Music (even commercial pop music) had a bit of soul and flair to it once. Todays cesspool of talent is all sold on shallow, lifeless songs
    I think you're looking back at history with rose-tinted glasses.

Music is a powerful artform and as such, has the potential to make you feel emotions. But on the flipside, it also has the potential to dumb the audience down, particularly the vapid, empty crap that is being played on radio stations every single day of the week.
    It's the most powerful artform in my opinion. That's why it's important to seek out and find music that inspires you and reach you on a level that the sh1te being played on the radio can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

BaZmO* wrote:
    Have you heard of a band called Dimmu Borgir? Probably the greatest band around at the moment making truly original, groundbreaking and aw inspiring music. Don't know how you can say music has hit rock bottom when you've got bands like that doing their stuff.

But how many times have you heard them on the radio. I have never heard of them for example.

So DarkJagger is correct, 90% of music these days is awful crap and its that 90% that gets the radio air time.

Of course there are good bands out there but they don't get radio or tv time at all.

Yes I've heard of Dimmu Borgir, and its defo some of the most interesting music I've heard in a while. Its excellent. I'm not going to go quote for quote with you Bazmo, I have my opinions and you have yours.

As for criticising others taste, I think the post has been misunderstood. I'll try to explain it better as it seems to be causing some confusion.

The music that is being released currently, has no depth to it. No lyrical depth and no musical depth. It seems all you have do nowadays is get a generic beat for whatever music style you're aiming for, add some lyrics (they don't need to make any sense at all) and you've got a song in the charts. It just seems that people are willing to settle for any old **** nowadays. Artists don't seem to be bothered with pushing the creative envelope anymore, they just go with the sound that their genre is currently putting out. Seems to be "if it sells, then don't change it". Nobody is willing to take risks with their music anymore.

As for the underground music scenes, they are constantly evolving and I totally agree that the best music is found there. These artists aren't worried about money, or number 1 chart positions and as such the music really has a soul to it. They're doing it for the love of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

there will always be crap music, always be cheesy music and always be crap music that was crap 5years ago but someone will put a beat to it and re-release it and it will still be dung.
    but there is good music out there, sure its not easily accessed on the surface, but were in the digital age now with myspaces and legal downloading, i personally think its easier now than ever to source and find new and old "good" music to listen to.
    there will always be a market for naff pop and dodgy indie while people continue to live celeb/tabloid obsessed consumer driven lifestyles, but its just that a lifestyle thing, it runs much deeper than music. once you develop a taste for a certain blend of music its runs like a continuous education of finding more and more you like, thats whats good about music......plus all you have to do is listen too it, bit easier to learn than history :)

Vegeta wrote:
    So DarkJagger is correct, 90% of music these days is awful crap and its that 90% that gets the radio air time.
    Then why listen to the radio if you don't like what they're playing? I really can't get my head around that. :confused:

And how can you say that 90% of music that is released today is crap? Have you listened to 100% of music that has been released?

DarkJager wrote:
    I'm not going to go quote for quote with you Bazmo, I have my opinions and you have yours.
    I don't particularly want to go quote for quote with you either but hey, that's what happens when you post on a public forum.

DarkJager wrote:
    The music that is being released currently, has no depth to it. No lyrical depth and no musical depth. It seems all you have do nowadays is get a generic beat for whatever music style you're aiming for, add some lyrics (they don't need to make any sense at all) and you've got a song in the charts. It just seems that people are willing to settle for any old **** nowadays. Artists don't seem to be bothered with pushing the creative envelope anymore, they just go with the sound that their genre is currently putting out. Seems to be "if it sells, then don't change it".
    This music that you're listening to that has no soul, no depth, no originality, where are you listening to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Vegeta wrote:
    But how many times have you heard them on the radio. I have never heard of them for example.

Of course there are good bands out there but they don't get radio or tv time at all.

When you look at what television is churning out and "enjoying" massive audiences the the music scene today is understandable! Big brother, Celebrity Jigs, Celebrity You're a Star, Rose of Tralee, Eurovision Song Contest etc. are plain rubbish.

As Macartney once said when asked if he would consider writing a song for the Eurovision he came up with "Sorry, but I only write music!"

Look at the long list of absolute talent that was Woodstock...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Being honest, every generation has had a load of crappy forgettable, but yet popular music. The thing, is that the majority of it, has been forgotten, while the good stuff has survived.

That's why it seems music from the 60's and 70's was better.

• Advertisement

While it doesn't bother me, I do know where Dark Jager's coming from. Pop music today has pretty much hit a new low, considering the Crazy Frog single made it to number one a while back.

But I also agree with Bazmo, because with Dimmu Borgir and Devin Townsend and absolutely thousands more great bands out there creating new music today, that's actually fantastic, I think there's no reason to complain about the state of music in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

You never had to look past the mainstream to find at least some good music, though. This is the first era(post summer 2001, since that's when stuff like Gorillaz and Origin of Symetry was released) since the 50s that has had almost no inventive popular music from new bands in the charts. Anything decent is from older bands, and even then they tend not to be as good as they once were.

Not to mention the "underground" isn't necessarily much better. It's like yesteryear's mainstream music - which means better, but not what you'd except to find outside of the mainstream.
    I was recently surprised to find that goth rock hadn't died out and turned into repetitive electro like I thought it had, though.

If you're into Alt Rock, check out some bands like Autumn or Cinema Strange.

It seems Goth Rock and Alternative Rock is getting poised to make a bit of a comeback.

Blisterman wrote:
    Being honest, every generation has had a load of crappy forgettable, but yet popular music. The thing, is that the majority of it, has been forgotten, while the good stuff has survived.

I think it's very easy to fall into that trap, thinking that it only seems like music today is worse.

It's still possible to look, objectively, at the number of good new songs and artists and compare it to our current era, completely ignoring all the rubbish stuff. When you do that, the later part of the 60s and the 70s do certainly come out on top.

Rozie wrote:
    It's still possible to look, objectively
    And how do you do this?

BaZmO* wrote:
    And how do you do this?

The very basis of this topic acknowledges a certain form of objectivity. If you don't agree with that, then maybe it's not the best topic for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Blisterman wrote:

This is very true! Someone made the point in another thread that we don't remember the hair metal from the 80s, we remember Metallica, Megadeth, Testament etc. The hair metal may have been top of the charts but the good music stood the test of time!
    I find myself that the Internet has been fantastic for picking up music that I would never have been exposed to otherwise. Recently I ordered some CDs that contained (amongst others) bands from Germany, USA, Sweden, Switzerland and England. I'm also listening to two Polish bands at the moment. I've no idea what the lyrics are about but the music is great :) None of the bands in question have been anywhere near the music charts or music television but to varying degrees they all strike a chord with me (pardon the pun).
    I rarely watch music television or listen to the radio simply because I dislike having the choice of what to listen to or watch. I have no idea what Mika, Cascada, Tiesto or Pete Doherty sound like. I have however been exposed to the genius of both Dimmu Borgir and Devon Townsend (cheers Karl!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Sean_K wrote:
    Quite recently I have discovered dance music and there really is some amazing stuff, if you sift through the likes of tiesto.

i'm the same. listening to the likes of radio soulwax and so on makes me wonder how tiesto and the other drivel out there manages to be popular at all.
    I suppose not everyone realises what a genius Devin Townsend is. Or for that matter, has ever even heard of him.

i know some big fans of metal and rock generally and they've never heard of him. i rectified that problem though. i don't even think it's his musical talent that's special, it's his hair.

Rozie wrote:
    The very basis of this topic acknowledges a certain form of objectivity. If you don't agree with that, then maybe it's not the best topic for you.
    That's bullsh1t, music and all arts are subjective. Do you honestly think that you're gonna get a debate about music where the people involved are going to be objective?

The only way you can be totally objective to music is to base your judgments on facts and the only facts would be sales. But if you do do that, well then in the context of the original argument the music being released today, especially in the pop charts in far superior to anything alternative, which is nonsense.

At the end of the day what constitutes as good music, or bad music for that matter, is a totally personal thing. If you don't like an artist's work well then you don't hang one of his paintings in your hall, so therefore if you don't like what's being played on the radio put a CD on that you do like. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Thumped.com had a great article on there a while back called something along the lines of "Why Popular Music is **** and **** Music is Popular". It was an article to end all articles but I can't seem to find it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sean_K wrote:
    I think you're getting old!
    Then I must have started getting old in 1991 because the last time there was decent music in the charts, in my opinion, was 1990 - when I was 12. I think I know what DarkJager means - chart/pop wasn't always sh*t. I was watching a thing on VH1 two years ago - every number one from 1980 to 2005. In the early eighties there was stuff of an unbelievably high calibre in the top ten/five - people such as Blondie, The Specials, Madness, Dexy's Midnight Runners, The Jam. Up to 1990 there was plenty of crap but there were regular gems in the charts too (not indie getting into the top ten - just good pop music). That stopped in the early 90s. I'd disagree with DarkJager on 1993 - it got bad earlier. It got really bad in 1996 when there was the likes of OMC (How Bizarre), Deep Blue Something (Breakfast At Tiffany's), Fool's Garden (Lemon Tree), Macarena etc. Bleak. And yeah, Mika is SH1TE!

Advertisement