Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod problem

Options
  • 21-08-2007 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a problem with regarding terry from the after hours forum.

2 weeks ago there was a topic going about people being 'rickrolled'. Some claimed that they havnt been cought and others had and so on. Never the less, i stumbled across the ultimate one, which was really funny. I decided to post it on the same forum that contained the rickroll post so that the people who didnt get cought out would get cought.

The rickroll jumped across the screen, making it hard to click the close button, while rick astley(waht ever) danced his dance singing 'never gonna give you up'. To the average user closing the internet browser would be a daunting task, lucky for me years of programming, computer repair and my hons degree in computer science lead me to come up with this solution, if you hit ctrl + alt + del, then shut down your browser, the rickroll goes away.

Never the less, within minutes of posting the rickroll there was 10 or so replies, all of which were positive remarks and complements towards the post and how great it was. People were saying the post made their morning and that it cheered them up. There were no negative comments at all. The post was a hit, it made people happy in an unworkrelated mannor - job done!

10 minutes later i get a pm off of terry saying that i've been banned for a month from the AH forum. Which leads me to come to a few conclusions. the main one being that the chap has no sense of humour. That post did not merrit a ban.

Im not really fussed about the ban to be honest, but i would like it removed for convienience sake as the AH forum is part of my daily routine.

Cheers.

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I have posted said link below. Dont use if you dont understand the ctrl+alt+del function

here

Does that merrit a ban? And no not because its a terrible song

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hi red ice,
    I vaguely remember a comment somewhere on this.
    I think you were banned because of the inconvenience it could cause if someone clicked on it while at work for example.
    Have you discussed this with terry via PM and has he told you how long the ban is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

yea, a month.. tad extreme isnt it? A simple warning would suffice really. Boards.ie in all fairness isnt exactly something you should be doing at 'work', yet we all look at it. I can only assume terry was stung in work with it, and didnt have a clue what to do, so he took his frustration out on me with an OTT ban.

To make a point which might counter my arguement, that is the point of a rickroll... to catch people out, it was however posted on a sunday morning. That said, again, a warning, or a simple removal of the post would have been enough.

IMO that was bad moderating. Never in my seven years on boards.ie have i seen such a terrible call. The after hours forum is all stuff non work related isnt it? ergo stuff that gets posted on the after hours forum doesnt really have to be safe for work, otherwise the forum would conatain stuff thats work related.

Besides, its not like i dont have other accounts to view these boards on, i just cba to use them

Advertisement