Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingspan touching electrical cable?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is it ok for electrical cable to run close to kingspan insulation (touching it in some places)? or would I need to pass the cabel through some conduit.

I know there is an issue with insulation reacting with the sleeve of electrical cable but if memory serves me right thats just aeroboard insulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I don't see any guidance about this in the kingspan documentation.
    I can't forsee an issue as long as the kingspan and the wiring is secure.

What is the issue with the aeroboard? Was that to do with polystyrene balls being launched at the wiring when a gust blew and gradually etching the insulation away...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've never heard of an issue with this. I doubt very very much that there is one.
    We have had some cables "melt" before but typically that has due to a faulty batch of cable and not it reacting with anything in its installation environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It could be an issue if the cable was carrying a significant load current (10-15A) and was passing through the Kingspan insulation. Obviously the cable could overheat when surrounded by insulation and the insulation itself could be quite inflammable.

Otherwise no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

10-10-20 wrote:

What is the issue with the aeroboard? Was that to do with polystyrene balls being launched at the wiring when a gust blew and gradually etching the insulation away...?

The problem is that the plasticizer in PVC/PVC cable migrates into expanded polysterene, which causes the insulation to degrade.

AFAIK it only applies to expanded polysterene.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I do remember years ago that certain types of PVC cable reacted with certain types of insulation. The insulation was the aeroboard as you said and the decomposition of the cable was over many years.

Kingspan don't seem to be advising on this so I really doubt it would be a problem with their insulation. It certainly wouldn't bother me if it was my house.

If you're still worried contact Kingspan and ask the question

• Advertisement
Advertisement