Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pain Of Salvation (Swedish Progressive Metal)

• 21-08-2007 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

If you've not heard them before, here's the song Handfull Of Nothing, from the album One Hour By The Concrete Lake.

I really only got into these guys last year, as one fellow here recommended them to me, seeing as I was a big fan of Dream Theater, and I was blown away, so I nabbed an album right away. Got even more into them, got another couple of their albums, and while I was at the Download festival, I snagged the rest of their discography. I love the sheer phenominal mix of styles, sometimes it can sound very Dream Theater inspired, or Faith No More, Meshuggah, Opeth kinda influences seem fairly present, aswell as some Queensryche, or even Folk and Funk influences. It's not all that evident from that one song though, you'd really need to hear a full album of theirs.

Anyone else here like them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Yep, one of my favorite bands.
    Best vocalist out there IMHO.
    Saw em in Amsterdam last March and they were amazing, should be released on DVD early next year.

Hard to say which album is best for starting on cause they are all different. Maybe Remedy Lane for Dream Theater fans, BE for Ayreon/Blind Guardian fans.
    I'd avoid Scarsick for starting though.
    Listen to some more here.

What do you think of their guitar solos Karl? I'm not a big fan of em in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i like perfect element album a lot.

on scarsick they have a kinda disco track (track 7???), when they played it at hellfest the crowd didnt what was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah yeah, it was yourself who introduced me to them, Out Of Order. Damn good recommendation, has to be said.

Smackbunnybaby: Yeah, the song is Disco Queen! I would've loved to have seen that! Although I'd have sympathy for anyone who was tripping at the time, maybe they thought they ended up at a different festival entirely? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Love this band, really great sound.. Seem to be a lot of my favourite bands mentioned here recently - makes me very happy! :D

Do any of tou guys like The Tea Party or Threshold? Got into The Tea Party after they supported Queensryche in 2000 & Threshold after Bloodstock Indoor in 2005. Another 2 great bands..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

i remember someone on the RHCP board reccomended them to me ages ago. Since then I've been a fan. Really good band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Did this thread come about after this comment? :)
    Anyway, I quite like them. They are obviously highly talented musicans to be able to change styles so effortlessly. With regard to the comment on which album to start with, I'm listening to Scarsick right now and I think I prefer it to the others. Mind you, I've never really listened to Blind Guardian or Dream Theatre so maybe I'm just being awkward.

Seeing as this thread was posted about 8 hours previous to your comment, yes. Yes it did.

Oral Slang, no, don't know The Tea Party, but I think I remember seeing Threshold at Bloodstock. Can't remember much of that festival at all though, as I was unbelievably drunk at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

These guys are great. Remedy Lane is their only album I own and it's nothing short of excellent. I've been contemplating getting more of their stuff, so if Remedy Lane is anything to go by I'm in for a treat. :D

Get Entropia as fast as possible! Awesome album.

Get Entropia as fast as possible!

Erm....ok :p

• Advertisement

Was gonna post this in a new thread, but thought too many random people would suggest bands I don't like, so thought I'd post it in a thread about music I do like!!
    Can someone recommend some good albums I could buy from Amazon. I got £70 in vouchers for my birthday, so am putting together a wish list:
    So far I have:
    Antimatter: Leaving Eden & Saviour
    Pain of Salvation: Entropia (didnt have that one Karl, so I said I better get it as fast as possible):)
    Labyrinth: Six Days to Nowhere
    Sonata Artica: Unia
    Epica: The Divine Conspiracy (pre-order)
    Iced Earth: Framing Armageddon (pre-order)

Used to love trawling through shops & websites, but too darn lazy at the minute!

Oral Slang wrote:
    Iced Earth: Framing Armageddon (pre-order)

Don't bother with this one. I've listened to the leaked version and it's by far the worst IE album. RIP Iced Earth.

I wouldn't actually bother with Unia either, it's very limp and almost passionless.

Placed order earlier on - here's what I got in the end:

Sonata Arctica - Unia (give it a try anyhoo)
    System of a Down - Hypnotise (dunno why I never got this)
    Manowar - Battle Hymns (only have this on vinyl)
    Katatonia - Live Consternation cd & dvd
    Antimatter - Leaving Eden
    3 inches of blood - Fire up the Blades
    Labyrinth - 6 days to nowhere

A bit pissed off as I had loads picked from one seller on market place & then it turned out that you can't use gift vouchers when you're buying from them. Will just have to pick up the rest of the albums I wanted separately..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Ah yeah, it was yourself who introduced me to them, Out Of Order. Damn good recommendation, has to be said.

Smackbunnybaby: Yeah, the song is Disco Queen! I would've loved to have seen that! Although I'd have sympathy for anyone who was tripping at the time, maybe they thought they ended up at a different festival entirely? :D

Cheers Karl, I've gotten into loads of bands from your contributions here. Opeth are the first that come to mind. Dimmu Borgir are top of my list to check out at the moment.

Ha, disco queen was excellent when I saw em live, everyone attempting John Travolta moves :D

Yeah, I was even more disappointed with Unia than Sonatas last album.

Cheers Karl, I've gotten into loads of bands from your contributions here. Opeth are the first that come to mind. Dimmu Borgir are top of my list to check out at the moment.

Ha, disco queen was excellent when I saw em live, everyone attempting John Travolta moves :D

Yeah, I was even more disappointed with Unia than Sonatas last album.

Glad you like some of the stuff I've mentioned. If you're getting a Dimmu Borgir album, then I highly recommend Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, it's an incredible album.

As for Sonata, I quite liked Reckoning Night, it was a hell of a lot better than the new one. I've probably listened to Unia about twice, so I hate to say it but I think it was a waste of money.

Advertisement