Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo or Quasqui

Options
  • 21-08-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

So for about the same money I could get a 1.6 Petrol Mondeo (base model) or a 1.5 Diesel Nissan Quasqui.

What would you do????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

spudulike wrote:
    So for about the same money I could get a 1.6 Petrol Mondeo (base model) or a 1.5 Diesel Nissan Quasqui.

What would you do????

neither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

spudulike wrote:

What would you do????

thats like saying, which is better, hanging or drowning? neither being a good option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AFAIR, a diesel Qashqai is about €26K.

Do you have to buy new? You could get a very decent used car for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

I'm open to suggestion. What we're after is a reliable safe family car.... any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

the Octavia has a great boot .. how about that? :D

If it is new I would go with the Mondeo with out a shadow of a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well one thing worth noting is that the Qashqai is not a big car. The boot is no bigger than your average hatchback, and two people in the back is more than enough.

From your original selections I would guess you are not a motoring enthusiast, so what about these? :

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=761450

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=763288

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=742082

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=680347

Just suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

whippet wrote:
    the Octavia has a great boot .. how about that? :D

It sure does. Was on holidays recently and we hired out 2 rental cars, one of them being an Octavia. About 80% of the bags ended up in the Octavia. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Weird comparison as both cars are totally different in function.

I would avoid a 1.6 new shape Mondeo, 110bhp is simply not enough power to pull that large heavy body around. Also LX spec is pretty basic, terrible cheap looking plastic wheel trim, black exterior door handles look and no climate control, horrible imo. If you are bothered about the lack of power at least have a look out for a demo Zetec model. Ford dealers have plenty for sale now after the launch of the car so you should be able to get a decent deal on one.

The Nissan Cashcow (as it is known) is based on the Tiida platform. Smaller than the Mondeo. Don't really know too much on it other than they seem to be popular and are hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Do you just like the look of these two motors? I
    know there is a ridiculous waiting list for the Cash Cow, it'll be next year before you get a new one AFAIK.
    If you are just looking for a car in general then let us know the following:

- how much you have to spend

- largest engine size you'll tax & run

- petrol or diesel

- oldest you'll go e.. 1-2yrs etc.

- intended use, e.g. 3 kids & a dog/family run about/mile muncher for work etc.

- anything you really want from the car or a "must have"
    e.g towing ability/leather interior/Air Con/sun roof, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

spudulike wrote:
    I'm open to suggestion. What we're after is a reliable safe family car.... any ideas???
    Avensis 1.6 Strata. Has plenty of gadgets, plus as it looks the same as the more expensive models, nobodys gonna know that really its the same as the poverty spec(base spec) model with alloy wheels and fog lights.
    Being a Toyota it will never go wrong, and its as safe as a house, with 9 airbags as standard. Or if you do high enough mileage, a diesel Strata.

The 1.6 in the Avensis is reasonably quick, the Avensis weighs only 1245 kg, the Mondeo weighs around 200 kilos more, so therefore the small engine in the Avensis isn't as bad as one might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

With this choice it has to be the Ford simply because the Nissan has the lamest, most pointless TV advertisement in recent memory. It is so bloody kack it isn't even funny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

E92 wrote:
    Avensis 1.6 Strata. Has plenty of gadgets, plus as it looks the same as the more expensive models, nobodys gonna know that really its the same as the poverty spec(base spec) model with alloy wheels and fog lights.
    Being a Toyota it will never go wrong, and its as safe as a house, with 9 airbags as standard. Or if you do high enough mileage, a diesel Strata.

The 1.6 in the Avensis is reasonably quick, the Avensis weighs only 1245 kg, the Mondeo weighs around 200 kilos more, so therefore the small engine in the Avensis isn't as bad as one might think.

No way José. It's slow. No need to talk about the driving dynamics here. All been said before.

Ah come on, the OP clealy is not interested in cars. Therefore Driving Dynamics are of no importance and neither is power. I know the 1.6 Avensis(or indeed any Avensis) won't set the world alight, but it is Irelands best selling car in its class by a mile, and the OP wanted a car thats 'safe and reliable', in which case the Avensis ticks both boxes very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

*sits on fence* to avoid accusations of being biassed towards the obvious choice.

Anyone looking for brilliant driving dynamics from a heavy family car with a 1.6 engine is looking in the wrong place whether it be Mondeo or Avensis, etc.

I would not recommend either if you do alot of driving outside urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

So it's a family car, no pets ! will be used for kid and work car (eventually) - that's about 250 kilometers mon-fri. Weekends tend to do alot of driving visiting families - mabey another 300 per weekend.

Would have gone for avensis - but my brother has the same car - so looking for something a bit different. Plus will be trading in a corolla so would like a change from Toyota.

Performace isn't a bug deal, but don't want a really sluggish ride either. Comfort is important - that 250 kilometers a week includes the M50 !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    Anyone looking for brilliant driving dynamics from a heavy family car with a 1.6 engine is looking in the wrong place whether it be Mondeo or Avensis, etc.

I would not recommend either if you do alot of driving outside urban areas.

Driving dynamics of the new Mondeo are class leading bazz. Admittedly the 110bhp 1.6 isn't powerful. Ford should have sold the 125bhp version, but haven't (so far). Crazy decision.

c. 600 kilometres a week? I'd buy a lightly used diesel.

The Volvo S40 is supposed to have some of the most comfortable seats around. Boot is a bit small though.

Driving dynamics of the new Mondeo are class leading bazz. Admittedly the 110bhp 1.6 isn't powerful. Ford should have sold the 125bhp version, but haven't (so far). Crazy decision.

c. 600 kilometres a week? I'd buy a lightly used diesel.

I'm not denying that but it is of little relevance in a heavy car with a 1.6 litre engine so in that context it is a mooted point.

Very few people will throw these cars around to their limits to prove which has better driving dynamics so on that point there is very little between them imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

These cars wouldn't be naturally in the same sector normally.
    the Qashqai was designed to be a competitor for the focus I think more so than the Mondeo.

Given the mileage your doing and given the strong residuals you'll get from it I would have to say the Nissan - I think I would probably go for the Mondeo myself simply because it would be a better car to drive but thats a heart not a head decision.

I would avoid the Avensis as I am still alive thank god, although a second hand option would probably make better financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

RobAMerc wrote:
    I would avoid the Avensis as I am still alive thank god, although a second hand option would probably make better financial sense.
    Em.. that's abit cryptic. Do you mean that they are for old people? If I was looking for a family car I'd go for the Avensis. I drove a Passat for a year before I decided I was too young for it. I bought the least sensible car I could find then. A LWB Landcruiser commercial.

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm not denying that but it is of little relevance in a heavy car with a 1.6 litre engine so in that context it is a mooted point.

Very few people will throw these cars around to their limits to prove which has better driving dynamics so on that point there is very little between them imo.

Matter of opinion only. My view is that lower powered and specced cars appear to be the norm in the Irish market. Probably VRT based thinking.

People tend to drive quite quickly even in lower powered vehicles, and therefore handling is critical.

If you never test the cars abilities, an Avensis may be ideal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ballooba wrote:
    Em.. that's abit cryptic. Do you mean that they are for old people? If I was looking for a family car I'd go for the Avensis.

No, I mean I don't like them
    But for the OP a second hand one might be a good choice.
    You could be right about my criptisim though, apologies.

600 km a week is about 400 miles a week isn't it? Well thats about 20,000 miles a year. I change it from a petrol Avensis to a diesel Avensis. A diesel version of any car of that typre is a much better choice as its way, way faster than any petrol of similar power, and obviously the superior fuel economy that comes with it too.
    Or alternatively, a Mazda 6 Diesel(though they are a noisy car), old Mondeo or new Mondeo Zetec TDCi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

COuld be worth checking how much VRT would be on a new Mondeo import. The base spec in the UK is the 125bhp 1.6 with cruise control as standard.

just to give my 2c worth on a few opinions:

Mondeo: I drove the 1.8 TDCI and was impressed by the steering, found the interior of the LX a bit nasty, but I'm sure the higher spec models are beter trimmed.

Had an S40 1.6 SE for a week, and as stated previously the boot is very small. Also interior space is quite limited, the seats are very comfortable, but IMO the price is too high for a Corolla sized car. It is very well built inside, but at the end of it, it's just a high spec Focus. Complete lack of cupholders is a bit strange as well.

You could get a new Corolla Luna 1.4 D-4D for the same price as a new Avensis 1.6 Strata, with everything the Avensis has plus armrest, leather steering wheel and gearknob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    You could get a new Corolla Luna 1.4 D-4D for the same price as a new Avensis 1.6 Strata, with everything the Avensis has plus armrest, leather steering wheel and gearknob.

Not a bad option considering the Corolla is as almost big as the Mk1 Avensis. The 1.4 won't win too many performance records, but definately a more sensible suggestion than that hideous nissan thing.

The Corolla is only 3in shorter than the current Avensis, and mirror to mirror, they're the same width. The Avensis has much better use of interior space though, and the higher seating position makes rear legroom a lot bigger.
    The diesel Corolla would be quicker and more efficent than the 1.6 Avensis.

Corollas of any description are very difficult to buy at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Corollas of any description are very difficult to buy at the moment though.

I was offered a 12 mth old one recently for about 1500 less than a new one! :eek:

Advertisement