Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo or Quasqui

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I sold my 6 month old company one with extras for the same price as a new one with extras.

Supply and demand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That shows as much about the publics lack of interest in cars overall, as well as how remarkably sucessful Toyota Ireland are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote:
    That shows as much about the publics lack of interest in cars overall, as well as how remarkably sucessful Toyota Ireland are.

People are interested in cars that suit them. They research the different models and buy what they consider most prudent. e.g. there are good and valid reasons why the Rx8 or BMW 750iL are not big sellers!

Toyota for the most part don't give a flying feic for the views of people on Boards, but concentrate in what the public want.... and that is why they have become the largest car manufacturing concern in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

spudulike wrote:
    So for about the same money I could get a 1.6 Petrol Mondeo (base model) or a 1.5 Diesel Nissan Quasqui.

What would you do????

If you're a woman get the squashie. if you have two kids get the mondeo. If you're in none of the categories get something else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    I sold my 6 month old company one with extras for the same price as a new one with extras.

Supply and demand!

Fools and their money? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

maidhc wrote:
    People are interested in cars that suit them. They research the different models and buy what they consider most prudent. e.g. there are good and valid reasons why the Rx8 or BMW 750iL are not big sellers!
    They are niche cars ?
    maidhc wrote:
    and that is why they have become the largest car manufacturing concern in the world.
    not yet actually - and just because they sell more than anyone else doesn't mean there better than anyone else. -
    Brittany Spears might sell more records than Van Morrison - does that mean shes better ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    just to give my 2c worth on a few opinions:

Mondeo: I drove the 1.8 TDCI and was impressed by the steering, found the interior of the LX a bit nasty, but I'm sure the higher spec models are beter trimmed.

Had an S40 1.6 SE for a week, and as stated previously the boot is very small. Also interior space is quite limited, the seats are very comfortable, but IMO the price is too high for a Corolla sized car. It is very well built inside, but at the end of it, it's just a high spec Focus. Complete lack of cupholders is a bit strange as well.

You could get a new Corolla Luna 1.4 D-4D for the same price as a new Avensis 1.6 Strata, with everything the Avensis has plus armrest, leather steering wheel and gearknob.

That's a rather blatant piece of cheap marketing, even for you Colm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fools and their money? ;)

Buying a brand new Mondeo may not be the cleverest thing to do with your money either Henry considering the high depreciation it suffers from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A car that barely depreciates is almost as bad as one that depreciates loads (from a private sale p.o.v.)

Who in their right mind would buy a 1y.o. Avensis etc. for only €1K less than a brand new one with an extra years warranty?

RobAMerc wrote:
    They are niche cars ?

not yet actually - and just because they sell more than anyone else doesn't mean there better than anyone else. -
    Brittany Spears might sell more records than Van Morrison - does that mean shes better ?

Just because some people don't like a particular brand doesn't make them an inferior product.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Just because some people don't like a particular brand doesn't make them an inferior product.

I don't like them because I think they are an inferior product - but I am looking for a bit more from my car than I do my fridge.

bazz26 wrote:
    Buying a brand new Mondeo may not be the cleverest thing to do with your money either Henry considering the high depreciation it suffers from.

I agree bazz. Buy a used one.

p.s. Same logic applies to all cars of this class.

RobAMerc wrote:
    I don't like them because I think they are an inferior product - but I am looking for a bit more from my car than I do my fridge.

Inferior product to what may I ask? I just don't see that much of a difference in what these cars are competing with.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but at the end of the day that is all it is. And you may look for different things in a car to other people but that doesn't make their choice any less relevant or inferior imo.

To some people a car is not the centre of their world and as such they choose one that will give them as less bother to their daily life as possible. Someone has to sell them such a product and Toyota have done it very well over the years. At the end of the day people need cars like they do fridges (as you put it), which car, fridge or tv you choose depends on what you want or need. Doesn't make one any less inferior to the other.

I am not going to get into this with you here bazz, but as an out and out car nut - ( I mean since I could walk not since I bought a new car), I can honestly say hand on heart that Toyota's do nothing for me.

They have had a few exceptions, mk1 MR2, Supra and of course the mk1 Twin Cam, but on a whole even talking about them bores me senseless.

I presume people who buy them buy their cars the way I buy a fridge - I listen to the sales man and then go for middle of the road abilities and cost.

RobAMerc wrote:
    I am not going to get into this with you here bazz, but as an out and out car nut - ( I mean since I could walk not since I bought a new car), I can honestly say hand on heart that Toyota's do nothing for me.

They have had a few exceptions, mk1 MR2, Supra and of course the mk1 Twin Cam, but on a whole even talking about them bores me senseless.

I presume people who buy them buy their cars the way I buy a fridge - I listen to the sales man and then go for middle of the road abilities and cost.

I suppose whatever floats your boat.

I did also state that they were not generally available, to be fair, if someone is familiar with the spec on an Avensis Strata, which is essentially the same spec as it was launched with in 2003, it's much quicker to list the extra kit than to list everything a Corolla Luna has as standard. If I was advertising something, surely I would plug an Avensis, which I can get!

I did also state that they were not generally available, to be fair, if someone is familiar with the spec on an Avensis Strata, which is essentially the same spec as it was launched with in 2003, it's much quicker to list the extra kit than to list everything a Corolla Luna has as standard. If I was advertising something, surely I would plug an Avensis, which I can get!

colm_mcm wrote:

You just did! :D

Advertisement