Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fault on car after service?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I had my car serviced there last week and when I drove it home a warning light popped up on the dash that I'd never seen before so I brought it to the garage who serviced it yesterday and they said it's to do with a valve that will need replacing at a cost of 100 quid.

The light had never come on before and I am not sure now if they did something to it when they had it (maybe not on purpose but it's odd the fault only appeared when I was driving it home from the service) and they don't seem to be budging.

Does anyone know the best way to approach this with them? I know it's 'only' 100 quid but it's the principle.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ellscurr wrote:
    I had my car serviced there last week and when I drove it home a warning light popped up on the dash that I'd never seen before so I brought it to the garage who serviced it yesterday and they said it's to do with a valve that will need replacing at a cost of 100 quid.

The light had never come on before and I am not sure now if they did something to it when they had it (maybe not on purpose but it's odd the fault only appeared when I was driving it home from the service) and they don't seem to be budging.

Does anyone know the best way to approach this with them? I know it's 'only' 100 quid but it's the principle.

Thanks in advance.

what is the name of the
    part or what does it do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The exact same thing happened to me and when I returned to the garage the fixed it for free. Surely if they gave the car a good service it is something they should have noticed? I wouldn't expect to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks...the last time the garage serviced it (the only dealership for miles, not like I have a choice!) they broke something but fixed it for free when I took it back. Now they are adamant I'll have to pay for this valve to be replaced.

The warning light has to do with emmissions and the valve is presumably related to this. They didn't give me a name, sorry.

ellscurr wrote:
    Thanks...the last time the garage serviced it (the only dealership for miles, not like I have a choice!) they broke something but fixed it for free when I took it back. Now they are adamant I'll have to pay for this valve to be replaced.

The warning light has to do with emmissions and the valve is presumably related to this. They didn't give me a name, sorry.

its the erg valve
    is it an opel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I think that's it...and it's a VW.

• Advertisement

ellscurr wrote:
    I think that's it...and it's a VW.
    either a wire got broke / interupoted and then its on them or the valve wore out/jammed or coated in carbon

its always happening

pay them but ask for the original part cos "a mate" wants it

it should be clear whether it is coked up or was damaged

its the most annoying bit on modern cars

Advertisement