Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I love living in Greystones

Options
  • 21-08-2007 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

There have been some negative aspects to some of the threads started on this site, so for the benefit of all those "glass is half full" people out there, here's your chance to let the world know what you like about living in this part of the world.
    For me, it's the sight of the Irish Sea as I come over the hill on the new road on a clear day.

Please try to keep this thread POSITIVE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

It's the wonderful selection of pubs that do it for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

oh I do like to be beside the seaside

(even if the beach is more grey gravel than golden sand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Well done yipper...no doubt you'll get some sarcastic responses from people trying to bring the tone down.

However, I have to say I love the way Greystones is managing to retain its small town charm and character in the face of massive change.

I think the selection of facilities and sports clubs for children and young people is outstanding and ever-improving. Thus making it a great place to raise your kids.

I also love walking from the south beach around to the harbour, no matter what the weather.

So many other things to add :D But I will give a few others a chance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

The excellent selection of restaurants do it for me.

Joliegood wrote:
    It's the wonderful selection of pubs that do it for me :D
    I was being flippant. I love the walk up Delgany Woods, Temple carraig and the Cliff Walk. People knock the North Beach but it has real wild feel to it, especially near the end of it. It's one of the best towns in Ireland for restaurants. I've heard recently that Cavistons are opening one here,that will be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thank you Yipper :) ....things were getting abit depressing on the site!!!!

I have to agree the view of the sea from the new road is great, there are not many places left where you can walk and have your pick of great restaurants wheather it be for breakfast, lunch or dinner. In a nut shell im delighted I made the move, now hopefully we can all enjoy the old and the new parts of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I love that some of the most beautiful countryside is on our doorstep and some amazing scenery is only a few minutes drive away.

I also like that I'm guaranteed a seat on the Dart into town every morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I love that some of the most beautiful countryside is on our doorstep and some amazing scenery is only a few minutes drive away.

I also like that I'm guaranteed a seat on the Dart into town every morning!
    i like the seat on the dart thing too!

and the variety of restaurants, wish there were more pubs tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

A combination of seascape, mountains at our doorstep,pubs and restaurants that rival city establishments for excellence. The mix of new arrivals allows everyone to ignore bs about blowins, etc. The generally friendly easy going nature about the place. And of course indian spice take away washed down with a huge choice of imported beer from O'Briens next door. Love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

Summer - even the wet ones. The festival. Being able to walk to the shops, to the beach, home from the pub ... The restaurants. The lights out on the sea at night and once in a while those great storms when you can watch the lightening over the water. The commute on the Dart in the morning especially seeing the goats on the rocks at Bray Head. This afternoon there was a seal swimming parallel to the beach and enjoying the sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I love the fact that it is such a pretty town and the Dart journey to Dalkey has to be the most stunning commute to work anywhere in the world.

The Irish sea - grey and angry mostly - but, always alive.

The food.

Cannot wait to be back..........

MrsA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Grovey

MrsA wrote:
    I love the fact that it is such a pretty town and the Dart journey to Dalkey has to be the most stunning commute to work anywhere in the world.

The Irish sea - grey and angry mostly - but, always alive.

The food.

Cannot wait to be back..........

MrsA

I love the harbour. I love the hills I think that is what everyone in Greystones love. you might be get a shock when you get back MrsA with 400 flats in the harbour :eek:

I love the food to and the old style shops. the people are friendly but it is a pity who they vote for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The 9A in the Cherry Blossom take away.. droool...

Having moved out of Greystones 3 years ago, this is one of the things I miss the most*

*(apologies friends and family still residing in 'Stones, but.. mmmmm 9A with fried rice..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Yup, the view of sugarloaf as you come up the N11 past Kilmac, I like to see what mood it is in as I drive home from anywhere, then the view of the sea as you come down the hill on the new road.
    I like a lot of the people in the shops in the village and the excellent coffee in our own Cafe charlesland.
    Cavistons is coming? that is fab-a-lous! Just the place for a few bits to have for brunch with the girls!

And I love the Happy Pear, just for being there with its mix of Ladies in plaid and tweed buying home grown greens and the hippies and resting actors in the cafe next door.

I love riding my bike on the cycleways, not so fond of the mainstreet but learning the short cuts around it, and I love the fact I can walk along the footpaths with a child on each hand, 3 in a row, all the way down to the beach.

I even love the Ivan bus! and all the crazy eastern europeans who live and work around here and get around in fleece jackets while we "locals" are pretending it is summer in our sandies and shorts.

Yup! I love Greystones!
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

its got everything...the sports facilities are unreal for a town its size..great restraunts & decent infastructure...i just keep thinking its all been build for a pretty rapid expansion of the area,which should be fine if planned thoughtfully

i just keep thinking its all been build for a pretty rapid expansion of the area,which should be fine if planned thoughtfully[/QUOTE] If a recent decision is anything to go by, then that's unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Folks, let's not turn this into another planning thread. Keep to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 CathD

The most stunning view of Greystones? Has to be that from Windgates.
    Just over the peak of Windgates hill on the way to Greystones, there is a turn into the left (the old cliff manor nursing home). Drive a few hundred meters along this road, and on the right hand side, there is a break in the field hedges and the view is absolutely amazing.

It is indeed Cath. There was an hotel there many years ago which also ran a night-club. It was a fairly run down spot and eventually went out of business. It would be amazing to have a house up there. The views are just spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

aye - the Cliff House Hotel, don't remember there being a nightclub there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

CathD wrote:
    Just over the peak of Windgates hill on the way to Greystones, there is a turn into the left (the old cliff manor nursing home). Drive a few hundred meters along this road, and on the right hand side, there is a break in the field hedges and the view is absolutely amazing.

I assume you mean this:

harbour.jpg

quite stunning

loyatemu wrote:
    aye - the Cliff House Hotel, don't remember there being a nightclub there though.It might have been more a disco sort of thing, remember an old neighbour telling me about fights afterwards on the back road to Delgany. I would have been far too young to go to it, even with fake i.d. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Darn, this thread makes me miss Greystones :(

...im home next week, really must take the time to take more photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I live at Windgates & the views are indeed spectacular. Bray head to the left, sea behind us & the harbour to the right. It's something I will never take for granted.
    I love the great restaurants we have here, the atmosphere walking through the town at the weekends. Looking at the waves against the rocks opposite the school when it's cold & windy.
    Most of all, I love driving home from work & no matter how tired & cranky I am, seeing the sugarloaf on the N11 always gives me a great feeling.
    I love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

I love the fact that there's still a "village" atmosphere even with all the recent expansion. I love watching the faces of first-time visitors as we drive them on the road from Bray so that the first view they have of Greystones is of the Harbour coming down the hill from Windgates and how impressed they (foreign and Irish) always are by it. I love getting the smell of the sea some days when I leave the house and being able to walk to the beach. I love the sense of peace I get no matter how stressful a time I've had in Dublin when I see the mountains ahead on the journey home.

WONDERFUL place to live!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Driving home through the Glen of the Downs any time of the year appreciating a natural forest (not many left) and then cresting the hill and seeing the Irish Sea open ahead of you.
    Its the perfect location, beside the city but hidden from it by Bray head and on the doorstep of some of the most amazing scenery in Ireland.
    So happy I moved here rather than into the urban sprall.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Our "friendly neighbourhood dog" started this thread back in Aug - amazingly it only got 26 happy posts - how come when its time to give out there a rakes of posts.

So maybe its time to remind ourselves why we picked a beautifual place like greystones to live in :D

Happy posts welcome! Sorry no negativity allowed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

I agree! love living in charlesland nice neighbours and a lovely house which isnt full of cracks and shoddy building work....despite what some bloggers think..dont mind that I might only get back what I paid for my house a year ago cause im not moving! looking forward to another nice summer in greystones:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Keep the positive vibes coming....

...and thanks to everyone for being so positive to date
    :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

CathD wrote: »

I'd disagree.The Best view of everything can be seen here.
    If anyone is feeling adventurous, I challenge them to experience it.

1)From DELGANY INN head NORTH, going upwards towards Kindelstown forest.Known by many as "Millionaires" road (No Explanation needed ;)).

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.132873&lon=-6.09426&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh

2) Keep heading up that road until BEFORE it veers WEST around Kindelstown Forest.
    (This could be tricky) Look for a Small Farmers gate between two houses on the RIGHT SIDE of the road.
    Approx here.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.144557&lon=-6.098458&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh

3) Jump over the Gate (If Ye dare!) and follow the grass path to the fourth field.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.147955&lon=-6.09623&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh

4)Your here.Now Let your eyes do the work!;)

Advertisement