Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I love living in Greystones

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Because the sun has shown the last 3 weeks and I'm as brown as a cookie..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 horselover

joeybloggs wrote: »
    I'd disagree.The Best view of everything can be seen here.
    If anyone is feeling adventurous, I challenge them to experience it.

1)From DELGANY INN head NORTH, going upwards towards Kindelstown forest.Known by many as "Millionaires" road (No Explanation needed ;)).

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.132873&lon=-6.09426&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh

2) Keep heading up that road until BEFORE it veers WEST around Kindelstown Forest.
    (This could be tricky) Look for a Small Farmers gate between two houses on the RIGHT SIDE of the road.
    Approx here.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.144557&lon=-6.098458&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh

3) Jump over the Gate (If Ye dare!) and follow the grass path to the fourth field.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.147955&lon=-6.09623&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh

4)Your here.Now Let your eyes do the work!;)

These fields are private property! We regularly find beer cans and rubbish where members of the public have trespassed and littered. Many wild animals also live here - please do not trespass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

loyatemu wrote: »
    oh I do like to be beside the seaside

(even if the beach is more grey gravel than golden sand)

The beach is sandy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

I love that no matter when i walk down the main street I will always see someone i recognise... not so easy to say since ive moved to bray :(

Oh and i love that greystones is prettier than bray, I miss that!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

girliegirl wrote: »
    Oh and i love that greystones is prettier than bray, I miss that!

Have to agree with you on that, we'd have loved to have stayed in Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I'm from Bray and am regularly in Greystones as my other half lives there. I have to say I do love the view form Windgates when I'm driving down to see him, especially if it's has been a sunny day and there's that pinky.orange sky over the harbour!

If I was at the stage of being able to by my own home, I'd definitely look to Greystones... and also people in greystones have been nicer to me than here in bray when asking can i leave some business cards in or put up a little notice for my business!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rocketman1

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread, I know it is old but I live in Bondi, Sydney and plan to move back home this summer, after 6 years here. We are from Dublin and Galway and have 2 small ozzie kids. We are picking randomly where to live, for some reason Greystones came to mind and after reading this thread we have decided Greystones it is. So excited, it sounds like everything we are looking for. If anyone has any more recent thoughts (post recession) I'd love to hear more about family life in Greystones. Especially if you have any thoughts on the national schools. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep, having lived in Oz a long time, I settled here in Greystones. There's a large community of people from everywhere which has overridden any ''blow in'' parochialism. Have to say i love it. It has a real village feel which is of course non existent in Australia. Close to sea and mountains. There's never any excuse for not getting out and doing healthy things. Good restaurants, coffee shops. "0 mins from Dundrum SC. DART to city or 40m drive on a sunday. The town has been hit by recession but far less than other ghost like towns. if anything, it's woefully undersold and so has huge potential to get even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rocketman1

Thanks so much, great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Born and bred here- 26years. I love cycling along the cliff walk (you gotta be brave and fit to do so :D). I enjoy the scenery where we are blessed by forests, hills, the sea and the access to the abundance of mountains in the Garden of Ireland. It's great to head out hiking with friends, playing on the astro turf pitches near Charlesland or just meeting up for lunch/coffee and a chat.

There are plenty of sports facilities around the town for young and old. So much to do that it is unfortunate I don't take advantage of them. A lovely library for studying and allowing your kids to sit down and read some stories to them. There are some events on during the summer for adults and kids alike. ;)

It is also great to have access to Wexford and Dublin by rail or road. You don't need to drive back and forth between the airport as you have the Aircoach. So you can easily hop on to a flight to go abroad for a short break if Ireland is a bit too much sometimes.

There are more schools, organisations etc being created every year. The harbour is not what it useta be but they are improving it now and again (Sisk need to whip the wallet out). But overall I don't have much to complain about the place as the place just improves every single year with more and more families joining our community from all different countries. It's great to see people from many different cultures and hear them in their rapid mother tongue while they shop in Lidls. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Don't think there was a swimming pool when this thread started...so we've got one of them now too.

After the summer we just had, with the beach attracting great numbers of people, I think we all have a lot to be thankful for:
    - friendly community spirit
    - numerous sporting activities
    - great views and walks
    - astrofluff - where would we be without his advice???
    - low crime rate
    - lowest commercial vacancy in the country
    - one of the best places to live in (2008 poll as far as I can remember)

Move anywhere else?? - I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

great selection of coffee shops/restaurants and a nice selection of milfs aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 asterix74

Hello to all, I am looking a place where to live with my family and at the moment Greystones is in the head of the list.
    I am from Italy and moved in Ireland in June. I live and work in Dun Laoghaire, it is a nice area but a quite expensive.
    My family (2 kids, a daughter 5 years old and a son 11 months old) is going to move in January so I am looking for an accommodation and a school for my daughter. The first month I lived in Bray, but I don't like it. Greystones is nicer, everything is green, there are a lot of sport activities to do, but I am afraid it is too small for us (we live in Pescara, a city in the middle of Italy with about 200k people).
    Please, tell me we (mainly my family) will enjoy Greystones.

PS: I am sorry for my english!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wayne_M

asterix74 wrote: »
    Hello to all, I am looking a place where to live with my family and at the moment Greystones is in the head of the list.
    I am from Italy and moved in Ireland in June. I live and work in Dun Laoghaire, it is a nice area but a quite expensive.
    My family (2 kids, a daughter 5 years old and a son 11 months old) is going to move in January so I am looking for an accommodation and a school for my daughter. The first month I lived in Bray, but I don't like it. Greystones is nicer, everything is green, there are a lot of sport activities to do, but I am afraid it is too small for us (we live in Pescara, a city in the middle of Italy with about 200k people).

You will love it -there's a nice, relaxed vibe around the place, plenty of activities for the kids, great restaurants - and a great café culture. Best of luck with the move!

Well it really depends what you family love. Greystones has plenty of activities for adults and children. The place is small in comparison to your previous home city in Italy, but it doesn't mean you need to spend all your time in Greystones. If you want to travel to other places over the weekend, you've got the train and buses to go on trips to Dublin City or drive to other major cities. I lived abroad in a city of 120,000 people but the place still felt small because it was an inland country city in South Korea. I'm not too fond of metropolitan cities (but funnily enough I'll be moving to Seoul early next year), nonetheless, I try my best to go hiking or do other interesting (outdoor) activities away from large cities.

So what do you family want from a city/town?

red_bairn wrote: »
    Well it really depends what you family love. Greystones has plenty of activities for adults and children. The place is small in comparison to your previous home city in Italy, but it doesn't mean you need to spend all your time in Greystones. If you want to travel to other places over the weekend, you've got the train and buses to go on trips to Dublin City or drive to other major cities. I lived abroad in a city of 120,000 people but the place still felt small because it was an inland country city in South Korea. I'm not too fond of metropolitan cities (but funnily enough I'll be moving to Seoul early next year), nonetheless, I try my best to go hiking or do other interesting (outdoor) activities away from large cities.

So what do you family want from a city/town?

Thanks for your reply.
    That's a good question. I am looking for a city/town can offers many activities for my kids.
    When a family moves the wife is the one could suffer more. I work, my daughter goes to the school; my wife couldn't find what to do mainly because we don't have friends here. I think shouldn't be difficult for her make friends with other mothers, but at the beginning the language could be an obstacle.
    as you say in the weekend we can go in the town, travel to other places (I would like to visit many places).

Thanks for your reply.
    That's a good question. I am looking for a city/town can offers many activities for my kids.
    When a family moves the wife is the one could suffer more. I work, my daughter goes to the school; my wife couldn't find what to do mainly because we don't have friends here. I think shouldn't be difficult for her make friends with other mothers, but at the beginning the language could be an obstacle.
    as you say in the weekend we can go in the town, travel to other places (I would like to visit many places).

Trust me. There are plenty of things for the kids to do here. Your wife doesn't need to worry as well because there are many things that they can't involved with here. She can friends through groups or activities that can take up here. Does she have any special hobbies or sports she enjoys? How about the kids? What do they like?

When I was kid/teenager I never stuck to one activity and have tried out for football, rugby, rowing, the scouts, Karate, Tae Kwon-Do and I went to the Summer Project during the summer (which is like a kids camp where you can play lots of sports, do art & crafts classes and much, much more). I went swimming regularly with friends at the South Beach and harbour. We also played football on the green (area) in our housing estate.

If your kids are interested in some "radical" sports, there is a skateboarding park nearby in Charlesland. You can use rollerblades/bike there. The mountains in Wicklow are also great for mountain biking. Trust me. There are plenty of things to do here. I just can't get into somethings as I lose interest or fear of injuring myself. :D

I would love to get back in to Tae Kwon-Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Thanks for your reply.

There is no shortage of activities for kids (and moms!) in Greystones. My wife is very involved in child and adult athletics and would be happy to help. Plenty of ball game sports available as are swim related activities. The town is very cosmopolitan and has good transport links to Dublin (train and bus fares are a bit more expensive than from Bray though!).

@fat-tony: thanks for your kindness

My daughter (5 years old) plays tennis and my wife at the moment doesn't play anything as we have a little son ... but she was going to the gym before my son born.
    I am playing tennis in the Glenegeary Tennis club and I know there is one tennis club in Greystones too.
    Thanks to all to giving me all these nice information.
    On Wednesday I am going there to view an house ... fingers cross!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Best of luck tomorrow - hope you find what you are looking for.
    Maybe see if you can spend a few days out here?
    Just potter about the town, don't be afraid to say hello to folk as you walk (OK I still get a few odd looks - but for the most part received well).

Red_bairn summarised it well - for kids there is a mass of things to do especially if you think outside of the box. Added to all of that there are some amazing walks or running routes. Mountain biking, road biking, some great forests all within easy reach. Something to not discount is golf - I have lost track of the amount of clubs around me here, but one of my out-laws only took it a few years ago when the kids were all in school - she is loving it and doing really well with the competitions. Also a great social scene for those that enjoy it with regular meet ups. A number of gyms in close proximity (all a bit overpriced for the moment), a few swimming pools too (far cry from there just being Pres years ago). Reasonably public transport - but in most cases this is a small town and on a good day you can walk to most places easily enough - with a huge range now of great coffee shops to take a load off...

Just down the road you have the Wicklow mountains in easy reach with Glendalough, Djouce, Enniskerry, the Breaches (?) in Kilcoole, Sugarload (Big and Little) - list just goes on. Mix into that the local photography club (not sure how active they are) and the combinations are endless - there is a thread here with examples of photos you might find interesting.

Am sure there are downsides too, as there are everywhere but they are pretty consistent - cold and wet (although it does feel like we have our own microclimate somedays); Wicklow has high radon levels (easy to check though); you still have to work to pay the bills - so all the usual really ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have a look here, various photos from Greystones Camera Club. I hope you find a house in Greystones or surrounding areas. As someone who has lived in the area for 63 years I can vouch for the above posters positive comments on Greystones.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/greystonescameraclub/

Unfortunately, the appointment to view the house for tomorrow has been deleted ... the house is gone!!!! :-(
    That's started to be stressful!!!

@pixbyjohn: I am a photo amateur and I was looking for a camera club in Greystones. I'd be happy to join to the club if I will move there. Some photos are amazing!!!!

Advertisement