Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aux input to Car radio

Options
  • 21-08-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anybody know if its possible to connect an Aux input (for an MP3 player)
    into a standard car radio? If so any websites or info on how it is done? The car radio in question is a Clarion DB168R.

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

No im pretty sure on that one you cant. You would need to get one that has an aux in or a lot of headunits with an input for a cd changer can be used as an aux in with an adapter cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

It'll probably work out cheaper to replace the headunit with a new one that has AUX IN on the front (not to mention SD card & USB support). Otherwise you're looking for something like these...

http://www.partydown.com/aux/auxinput.html
    http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Does anyone know of any other way of connecting an mp3 player to the car stereo?

I have one of the wireless FM transmitters but I find it rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Does anyone know of any other way of connecting an mp3 player to the car stereo?

I have one of the wireless FM transmitters but I find it rubbish.

buy a decent head unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

If you've got a tape deck just use one of these...

du09_2003.jpg
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=10432&doy=21m8

But yeah, maybe it's time for an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I find the Dension Ice Link FM to be a lot better than FM transmitters, it plugs into the aeriel socket in the back of the headunit and also charges the ipod. presuming it's an ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

My understanding is that it using any FM transmitter results in analogue sound. It defeats the purpose of paying €200-300 for a digital music player to get FM analogue sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

some of the old head units have an aux in at the rear of the unit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Sony GT series head units have an aux in on the front. It's a great idea in theory but a bit messy in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

@OP your headunit has no aux input so one cant be added,id reccomend the icelink over an ebay fm transmitter but new headunits can be picked up for sub €100 nowadays with usb or front jock input,only difference is they wont charge your mp3 player like the icelink would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mickd wrote:
    My understanding is that it using any FM transmitter results in analogue sound. It defeats the purpose of paying €200-300 for a digital music player to get FM analogue sound

many people buy MP3 players because of the amount of music that can be stored on it. how the sound comes out is usually secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

mickd wrote:
    What are you on about? The headphone jack on any MP3 player is gonna be analogue. There's no such thing as digital headphones. Also, the "aux" input on any car stereo or hi-fi is analogue.

Advertisement