Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Lies

Options
  • 21-08-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

After being bombarded with "broadband now available!" flyers and phone calls, I decided to give NTL a try (I currently am lucky enough to get Eircom DSL). After signing up for their broadband max (6mb/sec) and eagerly awaiting the install, I receive this message:

"Thank you for your online order, unfortunately the broadband service you requested is not available as yet at your address. When this changes you will be notified via the post. NTL does provide the Digital TV Select Package at your address: €9.99 for the first 3 months, thereafter €25.99 would you still be interested in going ahead with this?"

What the %% is that?! They've notified me via post for months that broadband would be available. Is this just a slimey tactic to try to get me to subscribe to their TV package?

Sorely disappointed in Dublin 18! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

NTL royally f****d me over with this. Ordered BB off them in the new apt. I had to order cable as well, although i never watch de telly. They installed the cable but couldnt install the BB. After three months of hassle they finally admit they cant install BB but that hasnt stopped them charging me full whack for cable TV Ive never watched (as opposed to the reduced price for the package i ordered)

And to add insult to injury they now spam my letterbox telling me that BB is available at this address :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The reason is that they have limits in the amount of BB customers in any one area ! They release an area for BB and once the quota is met they have to refuse further customers, but they don't co-ordinate this properly so marketing keep spamming and pissing people off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JpMaxMan

Wow! Feeling better now that they at least e-mailed me! What a bunch of crooks!

The reason is that they have limits in the amount of BB customers in any one area ! They release an area for BB and once the quota is met they have to refuse further customers, but they don't co-ordinate this properly so marketing keep spamming and pissing people off !

It must really suck for so many people to want your service that you have to turn them away. What is behind this limit? Do they need to bring the fiber closer in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

JpMaxMan wrote:
    It must really suck for so many people to want your service that you have to turn them away. What is behind this limit? Do they need to bring the fiber closer in?

Only so many people can connect before the service goes to pot for everyone.

• Advertisement

Only so many people can connect before the service goes to pot for everyone.

So tighten the ring - bring the fiber in closer! Come on already! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

JpMaxMan wrote:
    So tighten the ring - bring the fiber in closer! Come on already! :)

They started with fiber in Tallaght some years ago and then ran out of money. AFAIC they are still just patching up the origional copper coax some of which is thirty years old ! At least that was the story when I worked for them (I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

Terrible company to deal with. One of the worst I think internationally.
    Can only think of 2 other companies in my lifetime that have been even worse to deal with.
    If you can, stay far far away. There must be another company that can offer broadband in your area?

Also, it's not just about area caps. It took me ages to even order cable with them in a new apartment. Multiple order dates, etc. They tried to tell me it wasn't available even though I had a big stupid looking NTL box sticking out of the wall in two rooms. Of course, when you ask them to remove the box on your wall, it all of a sudden is available.

DrChoda wrote:
    Terrible company to deal with. One of the worst I think internationally.
    Can only think of 2 other companies in my lifetime that have been even worse to deal with.
    If you can, stay far far away. There must be another company that can offer broadband in your area?

Also, it's not just about area caps. It took me ages to even order cable with them in a new apartment. Multiple order dates, etc. They tried to tell me it wasn't available even though I had a big stupid looking NTL box sticking out of the wall in two rooms. Of course, when you ask them to remove the box on your wall, it all of a sudden is available.

Wow, unbelievable responses here. Looks like I may have really dodged a bullet! I think I'll stick with Eircom DSL! I just couldn't resist the 6mb/sec! I'm such a bandwidth slut! :D

Uh oh, now I'm scared. What to do!? After all the negative posts...

Here's what I think I'm going to do... I am going to get the service and run some side by side tests to the Eircom DSL as far as bandwidth, latency, up time, etc and post them back here for others.

Follow-up e-mail from NTL:

"Your address was sent away to double check the services available to you. They have come back this morning to advise there is broadband available to you. Apologies for the mix up. Your order can be processed this morning, would you like me to go ahead with this?

Kind Regards

NTL Online Sales"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

JpMaxMan wrote:
    Here's what I think I'm going to do... I am going to get the service and run some side by side tests to the Eircom DSL as far as bandwidth, latency, up time, etc and post them back here for others.
    As far as I know, you have 7 days to evaluate their service without obligation, but don't hold me to that.

However, I have had many, many, many internet providers and the service was always great for the first month or two, only to go way, way, waaaaaaaay downhill.

Well folks, I thought I'd give you an update as this debacle is now closed. Last week they had called and scheduled the install for Friday. Nobody showed up all day. Friday evening I received a cheery phone call from NTL, "congratulating me and welcoming me to their service." I explained that the person had never shown and his response was that he'd "log the call." The original install date (before they falsely told me broadband wasn't available) was on Saturday. I figured I'd give 'em Saturday to see if they showed up.

Again, no show on Saturday. I then wrote them an e-mail saying that I didn't want to do business with them, if they couldn't even make their install dates how would they be if I had a service problem!

This (Monday) morning the NTL installer shows up. Hah! Ok, I think, last chance. I tell him I had canceled, but that if he had everything here and was ready to go I'd still give it a try. Your man says, "yeah, ok, if you canceled I can't do anything I'll have to ring back to NTL and see what they say." After he rang NTL he said, "I'm terribly sorry, but I can't do the install."

Hah! Strike 3. Now I realize I canceled so I don't blame the guy, but the NTL folks could have seen the opportunity to win a customer. I know, I know, I must be high. <sigh>

Well I'll try again next year.

Advertisement