Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any big new technologies or price drops coming before febuary??

Options
  • 21-08-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I am about to do my first ground up build and I was wondering are there any new significant technoloy's coming out between now and the start of febuary? I would prefer to build now, but if there is anything that warrents waiting I would not mind waiting till febuary at the latest. I know PCI-E 2 is supposed to be coming out, is that within the time frame? I want this build to last for as long as possible. I know its impossible to future proof in the world of pc's but I am going to give it my best shot.

Also does anyone know if there are going to be any big price drops?? When are the AMD quad core phenoms comeing out? They should trigger an intel price drop.

All help and oppinions are much appreciated.

Cheers
    Chris.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thats 6 months down the road, ofcourse there will be some significant leaps in technology by then. You will probably see much higher clocked, dual and quad chips with more cache. Faster ra,. faster graphics card. You know what its like.

As for the amd chips they will be out the end of this year...hopefully:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_phenom

And as always there will be another pricedrop at the end of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Hmmm ok, I'm not so much concerned about clock speeds increases of Cpu's and gpu's in their current families, its the new technologies that i am more interested in. Basically if its upgradable , I am not really too bothered about it as I can just upgrade in the future, its stuff like PCI-E 2, that cannot be upgraded to that I am concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

the new intel Penryn will be out and will have 40nm core's and a quad core will be on the 1 die.nividas new gfx's will probly be out.seagate may have realsed there new 300tb hard drive.drr3 ram will be cheaper and faster.amd will have realsed there "barcalonoa" chips and there new chipset.the new x38 chipset will be out for intel sli.

thats all i can think of.

awhir wrote:
    the new intel Penryn will be out and will have 40nm core's and a quad core will be on the 1 die.nividas new gfx's will probly be out.seagate may have realsed there new 300tb hard drive.drr3 ram will be cheaper and faster.amd will have realsed there "barcalonoa" chips and there new chipset.the new x38 chipset will be out for intel sli.

thats all i can think of.

Thanks man , this is the kind of stuff I am talking about. I remember reading about Penryn, what are the main advantages to it over current 1333 Mhz FSB chips? I am assuming it will be using LGA 775 aswell? Are you being seriouse about a 300TB HDD?Thats crazy !!! The Mobo I am looking at supports DDR2 and 3 so I think I will Just go with DDR 2 for the moment. Is the only difference between the P35 and the X38 suppport for SLI? Is the overclocking supposed to be alot better for X38?

not full sure about when the new seagates are out read about it awhile back..

havent been really reading up on the x38 chips set but i know it will have PCIE-2 and full DDr3 compatilbillity.looking at your pc specks now i reccomend you to upgrade.........ur about 8years out of the loop :D

ps:sorry bout spelling.

• Advertisement

LOL I am actually running an Athlon 64 3200 with 6600gt atm.

Do the Current P35 boards with DDR 3 not have full DDR3 compatability.

dont worry about spelling , I am far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Almost all p35 boards are dd2 and ddr3 compatible. Others are just ddr2 or just ddr3. Fantastic boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I remember reading about Penryn, what are the main advantages to it over current 1333 Mhz FSB chips? ?
    Less power consumption = cooler = more overclockable.
    I am assuming it will be using LGA 775 aswell?
    Correct. After Penrynn, Nethelem will be moving the memory contorller on to the cpu, requiring a new socket, but that's ~12 months away.
    The Mobo I am looking at supports DDR2 and 3 so I think I will Just go with DDR 2 for the moment.
    That seems sensible. I don't see worthwhile DDR3 coming along for at least 12 months.
    Is the only difference between the P35 and the X38 suppport for SLI? Is the overclocking supposed to be alot better for X38?
    There's still some doubt about sli support. However it will have PCI-e 2.0 (faster transer rates and more power supplied), and support for faster bus speeds ie more overclockable. The first boards will be too expensive (€200 for a basic model), but should trigger a price drop in existing p35 boards.

sorry my bad about x38 its not sli it is crossfire as a sli licence costs too much and intel have gone with ati.
    ---
    Intell officially announced the release date of the high end chipset named X38 Express being the 23th of September. According to motherboard manufacturers and vendors, mainboards centered on Intel's X38 chipset will be available starting in early September. The date announced by Intel is referring to reviews and performance numbers concerning the new chipset. According to the news site DailyTech, this situation is similar to the one encountered when the P35 Express mainboard chipset was launched as motherboards were available for sometime before Intel finally decided to officially announce the chipset's release. The X38 Express chipset is the new top of the line mainboard chipset for the Intel platform and it comes as the continuation of the Bearlake line of products that includes the G33 and the P35 Express chipsets. The older 975X Express chipset is targeted for replacement by the X38 Express as the 975X made its debut along side the Pentium D Presler processors and it shares a number of common elements with the older 945 and 955X Express chipset families.

The Intel X38 Express chipset comes with a number of new features as the introduction of the PCIe 2.0 standard to the LGA 775 based computing platform. The new PCIe standard offers greater data transfer bandwidth than the current PCIe standard as it eliminates the encoding /decoding overhead of the previous standard. The PCIe version 2.0 allows motherboards to reach a total of four gigatransfers per second. As the X38 Express supports dual full-speed PCIe x16 expansion slots, multi graphics cards setups are possible. The chipset surely supports the ATI CrossFire multi-GPU technology and while it may also offer support for NVIDIA's SLI Technology, this is only a rumor.

According to Intel's specifications, the X38 Express chipsets work only with DDR3 memory, but most motherboards manufacturers may include support for DDR2 as well in order to gain a bigger market share. Motherboards equipped with the new Intel chipsets will probably become available in a few weeks and some estimate that an entry level solution will sell for about $200, while higher end models may reach $300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well there are rumors that there may be X38 chipets with an NVIDIA MCP (chipset) bolted on this is what would give SLI support to the motherboard so you could have a situation with normal X38's and SLI enabled X38's out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement