Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points Q

Options
  • 21-08-2007 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

What happens if you accept a place in a course and appeal LC results and you are downgraded and then don't have the required points for the course
    I know it's unlikely and why would you appeal if you had the points but maybe you wanted a scholarship or were just being a spa.
    Considering you would have already started the couse when the appeal comes through I'm guessing nothing would happen
    Any suggestions, I'm just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Last year, there were 9000 and something appeals, not one person got their grade eh downgraded, which is reassuring. It's meant to only happen if the original examiner was half asleep and failed to notice your answer does not comply with the marking scheme, or if your marks were added up wrong, ie. too generously.

I don't like the way loads of people who are safe in their first choice appeal subjects. I understand why 'I didn't deserve this grade', personal satisfaction or whatever, but the fact is, they're clogging up the system. Most colleges will start back mid sept, while appeal results are mid Oct, meaning if the person gets upgraded from appealing into their 1st choice, they sometimes aren't allowed start that year!

I think if you're appealing to try to get your first choice, you should get a High Priority sticker on your papers or something, while those who have their place secured and are only appealing for personal reasons, eh, don't get the sticker, and those results should come back later. It could work..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have no problem with people appealing, i myself appealed one of my results, it wouldn't have affected my course either way but i felt that if i was entitled to a certain mark, i would want it...

However, you do have a point, if people need the points for a certain course, they should be speeded through so that if the person does get upgraded they would not miss any time in college..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

floor_pie wrote:
    What happens if you accept a place in a course and appeal LC results and you are downgraded and then don't have the required points for the course

To actually answer the question, the answer is (as far as I know) once you have accepted, the place is yours- no questions asked, even if you are downgraded.....

Advertisement