Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic ticket

Options
  • 21-08-2007 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

*Not sure if this is the right forum so if not, please move to appropriate forum*
    I had a friend who had been going to a place she was not too familiar with. She was came down the end of a road to a T junction. To her right, there was a pub with an entrance onto the road she going to be turning onto. Across the road (directly across from the entrance/exit) there was a 'No right turn sign'.
    Yet, directly in front of her there were no signs indicating a one way street. Because of the the sign she saw, she assumed it was a one-way street, so she turned left as the only sign indicated no right turns.
    About 100 metres down the road there was a gaurd that pulled her over. He said she was going the wrong way, to which she apologised and said she had looked for signs but only saw one indicating she could have only turned left, since right was no allowed.
    He took her details, came back and said he was issuing her a ticket.
    She asked about penalty points and he said he didn't know.:eek:
    She asked how much the ticket was and he said he didn't know. :eek:
    He told her it was going to be sent in the post and she has a certain amount of time to pay it.
    She didn't get any slip of paper indicating this had happend. Nor info about the officer who gave the ticket, nor the cost, penalty points etc.

I have a few questions regarding this, besides the obvious, how the **** doesn't this guard know the cost, or the penalty points involved?

We are going back with a camera to take a picture of the intersection where the signs should be. If there are signs showing one way, then it is justified.
    However on the chance that it clearly is not marked, I suggested she fight it.

-If she fought it and lost, are the consequences still the same? (ie; fine does not increase, etc) I am assuming she can simpley represent herself?

-Would it not be proper procedure to give a ticket to the driver then and there? This would show: the offence, the fine, the penalty points, the guard issuing the ticket, time of day and location??????

-If she fought it I would assume that particular guard would have to show up since he is the sole witness issueing the ticket. The fact she has no record of who it was that gave her the ticket is somewhat frightening. Any guard could then show up in court.

I've had the misfortune of having to fight some traffic tickets before in another country, and won, but no idea what happens here?
    I have noticed they have a ticket book when they're blocking traffic checking everyone's road tax, and occasionally handing paper tickets out. I had figured it would be the same with other traffic offences?

Thanks to anyone can answer some of these and offer advice. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

DrChoda wrote:
    *Not sure if this is the right forum so if not, please move to appropriate forum*
    I had a friend who had been going to a place she was not too familiar with. She was came down the end of a road to a T junction. To her right, there was a pub with an entrance onto the road she going to be turning onto. Across the road (directly across from the entrance/exit) there was a 'No right turn sign'.
    Yet, directly in front of her there were no signs indicating a one way street. Because of the the sign she saw, she assumed it was a one-way street, so she turned left as the only sign indicated no right turns.
    About 100 metres down the road there was a gaurd that pulled her over. He said she was going the wrong way, to which she apologised and said she had looked for signs but only saw one indicating she could have only turned left, since right was no allowed.
    He took her details, came back and said he was issuing her a ticket.
    She asked about penalty points and he said he didn't know.:eek:
    She asked how much the ticket was and he said he didn't know. :eek:
    He told her it was going to be sent in the post and she has a certain amount of time to pay it.
    She didn't get any slip of paper indicating this had happend. Nor info about the officer who gave the ticket, nor the cost, penalty points etc.

I have a few questions regarding this, besides the obvious, how the **** doesn't this guard know the cost, or the penalty points involved?

We are going back with a camera to take a picture of the intersection where the signs should be. If there are signs showing one way, then it is justified.
    However on the chance that it clearly is not marked, I suggested she fight it.

-If she fought it and lost, are the consequences still the same? (ie; fine does not increase, etc) I am assuming she can simpley represent herself?

-Would it not be proper procedure to give a ticket to the driver then and there? This would show: the offence, the fine, the penalty points, the guard issuing the ticket, time of day and location??????

-If she fought it I would assume that particular guard would have to show up since he is the sole witness issueing the ticket. The fact she has no record of who it was that gave her the ticket is somewhat frightening. Any guard could then show up in court.

I've had the misfortune of having to fight some traffic tickets before in another country, and won, but no idea what happens here?
    I have noticed they have a ticket book when they're blocking traffic checking everyone's road tax, and occasionally handing paper tickets out. I had figured it would be the same with other traffic offences?

Thanks to anyone can answer some of these and offer advice. :)

he didn't give her a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

this sort of question must be pretty high in the list of the top 10 questions on this forum... ;)

if she fights and loses, the number of penalty points accrued doubles (right to fair trial my fupping hole)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

Wossack wrote:
    this sort of question must be pretty high in the list of the top 10 questions on this forum... ;)

if she fights and loses, the number of penalty points accrued doubles (right to fair trial my fupping hole)

OMG!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Not very democratic

He said the ticket will be in the post. Nothing else. Wouldn't or couldn't answer any questions.
    Just got back from the area and there were tree branches on the left side blocking the no entry sign.
    However, based on the fact that the justice system here would double penalty points if found guilty in court is probably not worth fighting.
    Fear the state I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

well with trees blocking the sign post I think you've a very strong case personally - but Im no legal expert...

take plenty of photographs anyway, with a film camera (even just a cheap disposable one), as Im not sure if digital ones hold up in court (read that somewhere, sounds like b/s but...) just in case something nasty does arrive on your doorstep (like a politician)

the whole doubling penalty points, gardai not saying whats happening, being in the dark over the offenses, checking your mail for the next few months hoping not to miss a 'possible' fine notification situation is all bollocks imo - im only glad Ive not fallen afoul of it (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Wossack wrote:

You do not get penalised for going to court, you get a discount for not going. A small point, but still.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

actually the points would be tripled 1 -> 3

(sorry for the bad news)

any chance of you posting pics of the junction
    and or say where it is
    the description is confusing, seems like she couldn't go left or right???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

DrChoda wrote:
    We are going back with a camera to take a picture of the intersection where the signs should be.

Please post the pictures here.

Advertisement