Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greens in Power

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

Some GP achievements in Government off the top my head:
    * Massively increased investment in water and sewerage treatment.
    * New grants for wave energy research
    * New planning guidelines announced
    * Ireland's first carbon budget
    * Car Tax and VRT changes.
    * Announcement of minimum efficiency standards for light bulbs
    * A budget showing increased investment in rail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

eoinmadden wrote: »
    Some GP achievements in Government off the top my head:
    * Massively increased investment in water and sewerage treatment.
    * New grants for wave energy research
    * New planning guidelines announced
    * Ireland's first carbon budget
    * Car Tax and VRT changes.
    * Announcement of minimum efficiency standards for light bulbs
    * A budget showing increased investment in rail

You forgot backing Bertie to the hilt more than a lot of FF backbenchers. Maybe I'm forgetting things, but didn't their manifesto mention something about cleaning up politics? No, maybe I was imagining it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

barclay2 wrote: »
    I think they've been reasonably good, as someone who voted for them. Given their position as junior partner in a coalition, i cant expect their impact to be enormous.
    The PD's have shown its entirely possible, this is no longer a valid excuse.
    But they've brought in new housing standards that will make homes a lot more efficient (bringing them in at the END of a housing boom is unforunate timing but they cant do anything about what didnt happen 5 years ago),

Why didn't they do more about it five years ago? Continue to petition the government or introduce a bill of their own?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The greens have no doubt made a difference to how the government has been run, if only to oust the PDs and prevent Enda from being Taoiseach.

However, their mistakes have received a lot of media attention and they have received very little good press.

Their capitulation on Tara, their support of Bertie and the parliamentary party's support of the Lisbon treaty have all damaged their credibility, and in my view, as a green voter, they lost me after Tara and I would be very cautious about voting for them again.

It's a pity that you can only vote every 5 years and there isn't a resit paper for those who have made a mistake.

Advertisement