Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert

Options
  • 21-08-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have a seventeen year old brother who has just finished Transition year. This meantthat he made the most of it and did absolutely nothing. He spent the summer working with a carpenter. He now wants to give up school and wishes to pursue his career as an apprentice carpenter. I am looking for help to persuade him to stay in school and am looking for reasons to do so. I am just wondering has anybody got any insight into this and can help me to persuade him to finish his leaving cert. I know school is a drag but I am sure that most of you recognise the importance of finishing your leaving cert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If he's not interested in school full stop then no amount of persuading will make him want to go to school and work.

The leaving cert can make life a lot easier for people if they do well in it, but just going to school because your parents tell you to and getting 50 points isn't going to get you anywhere, it's just a waste of 2 years IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I have a seventeen year old brother who has just finished Transition year. This meantthat he made the most of it and did absolutely nothing. He spent the summer working with a carpenter. He now wants to give up school and wishes to pursue his career as an apprentice carpenter. I am looking for help to persuade him to stay in school and am looking for reasons to do so. I am just wondering has anybody got any insight into this and can help me to persuade him to finish his leaving cert. I know school is a drag but I am sure that most of you recognise the importance of finishing your leaving cert.

Theres nothing wrong with a career in carpentry. Some people are just better suited to a practical career like this one. Unless you believe strongly that he would be better off seeking an academic career then hes free to do what he wants. The chances are if he does the LC he wont put much effort into it because he will believe he wont need it if he still wants to become a capenter in 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Lots of money in carpentry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Being in a trade can be a better plan then being a suit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If he has an offer of a carpentry apprenticeship now and would be looking for one following the Leaving anyway, he'd be mad not to take it now.

Once he has his carpentry papers, no one asks whether he did the Leaving first or not. He'd also be earning.

TBH it sounds like he used TY for exactly the right purpose, to become clearer in his head about what he wants to do.

The only proviso would be he makes sure that it is a proper registered apprenticeship he gets, which involves attending college. If he's not registered, it's not an apprenticeship. This may seem obvious, but a lot of young people are caught out by apprenticeship offers that are really only glorified labouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

spurious wrote:
    If he has an offer of a carpentry apprenticeship now and would be looking for one following the Leaving anyway, he'd be mad not to take it now.

Once he has his carpentry papers, no one asks whether he did the Leaving first or not. He'd also be earning.

TBH it sounds like he used TY for exactly the right purpose, to become clearer in his head about what he wants to do.

The only proviso would be he makes sure that it is a proper registered apprenticeship he gets, which involves attending college. If he's not registered, it's not an apprenticeship. This may seem obvious, but a lot of young people are caught out by apprenticeship offers that are really only glorified labouring.

College they get paid to go to. Lucky so and sos :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well, do try and persuade him to stay on in school, cos having a Leaving Cert is great advantage. However, if this is a no-go, and he has his heart set on doing this carpentry, then encourage him in this. The LC is not the be-all and end all of a persons life. Maybe the academic side of life doesnt suit him, but each to their own. An apprenticship like this would be great, he'd be out earning, working, paying his own way through life. Talk to him about it at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Mushy wrote:
    The LC is not the be-all and end all of a persons life.
    How many times have I read this on this boards? However much it's true!!

Let him do carpentry, he's been working in the field so he knows he'll like it. He'll have a secure job, good pay and will enjoy doing it. People his age aren't stupid and know when they see themselves working in a career. Let him do it and encourage him.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

Hey Linda ... please here me out. When I was in school I had friends that gave up after the junior,4th yr and 5th yr and in the middle of each.

I think that if he wants carpentry he will have 2 years of it done by the time his friends finish school.

He is 17 so in 4 years time he will be 21 when qualified which is normal. Some will be qualified at 20 as they started at 16.

I think you need to ask him this.

Is he doing all higher level? All ordinary or a mix ? Then see is he would be capable for the High points which is hard.

Will he take your advice and go half-heartedly into the LC ?

I had some people in my year that got 100 points and then went on to do a trade. And they had no intentions of going to college.

Does your bro see himself as an office worker? (not that thats all college degree's lead too)

Carpentry is a good trade with plenty of money to be made in it.

Once he serves his time he will be rolling in it. (some are on a grand a week)

If in the end he doesnt like carpentry he can always go back and do the LC and with a sister like you I know you would help him.

Peace out

Advertisement