Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oiling a Golf GTi

Options
  • 21-08-2007 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

Can anybody please tell me how often is considered normal to have to add oil to a '00 registered GTi (rough idea)?

I wouldn't be driving the s**t out of the car or anything, probably do about 800 miles a month on average and am finding I put a litre into it every 4 weeks or so.

I do check it with dipstick regularly but sometimes the engine calls for refill in between.

There's around 87.5K miles on the clock.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hi,
    I bought the same model new in 2000 and after about 6 months, I was putting in about 1/2 litre every 2000-3000 miles. I was doing around 2500 miles per month. I sold it with about 110K on clock and the same oil pattern persisted: I think it's just a VW thing although it sounds like yours is a little on the high side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am convinced it actually is a Volkswagon thing! And the cost of regular refilling of this highly synthetic oil can add up too! I handed over €18 for a litre in the local Statoil the other night.

Sounds like I'll just have to live with it as long as I have the car from what your saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

I owned a MKIV GTI for a year and a bit and I don't think it needed oil once, it never even asked for a service!

The turbo will use a bit of oil but once every 2,000 miles seems like there's a problem.

For example, my car has done 14,000 kms now and it needs a service within 1,000 kms but apart from that, it has not had a drop of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

A litre of oil every 800 miles is a bit much. Are there any signs of leaks?

My car has a similar engine to yours (1.8T 20v), it uses a little bit of oil, less then a cupfull every couple of k miles. My car has 34k miles on it.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Neilw wrote:
    A litre of oil every 800 miles is a bit much. Are there any signs of leaks?

My car has a similar engine to yours (1.8T 20v), it uses a little bit of oil, less then a cupfull every couple of k miles. My car has 34k miles on it.

Neil.

No signs of any leak/s. It was the first thing I looked for. The oil consumption of your car is nothing - and sounds perfectly correct. It's what I would be expecting but unfortunately mine seems to guzzle the stuff!

@MarkN

What are you driving at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

VAG actually quote acceptable oil consumption as 1L every 1000miles. While this is the worst possible case and most cars will use less it is not classed as excessive by VAG. It's also a pretty typical figure to be quoted for a modern engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Tanabe wrote:

@MarkN

What are you driving at the moment?

Audi S3. Oil checked regularly.

Advertisement