Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage Meals

• 21-08-2007 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

What other meals contain sausages besides coddle and bangers on mash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Toad in the hole?

Does Chorizo count?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

student dinner!

chop up some sausages with a siscorrs (i dont care how it's spelt) fry em, stir in sauce + pasta = mmmmmmmmmmm cheapy crap yumminess

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Gently fry onion and garlic and chopped up sausages in oilve oil until browned. Add mixed wild mushrooms, thyme and dried chillies.
    Get rid of excess water and cook 'til mushrooms done.
    Cook up some pappardelle pasta
    Mix in large knob of butter into sausage mixture with some of the pasta cooking water
    Mix together pasta and sausage mix adding Parmesan cheese

Eat :)

Thanks Jamie !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Sausages basted in either a curry or bbq (or wahtever really, knock yourself out) paste. grilled or baked and served with noodles or chips. You can add a sauce if you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ponster wrote:
    Gently fry onion and garlic and chopped up sausages in oilve oil until browned. Add mixed wild mushrooms, thyme and dried chillies.
    Get rid of excess water and cook 'til mushrooms done.
    Cook up some pappardelle pasta
    Mix in large knob of butter into sausage mixture with some of the pasta cooking water
    Mix together pasta and sausage mix adding Parmesan cheese

Eat :)

Thanks Jamie !
    That sounds yum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A good winter dish. Freezes easily too so you can make it, then freeze some for later

454g good quality sausages (can be garlic and herb or other flavours if you want)
    100g smoked back bacon rashers
    1 large onion/2 small onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    40g 'no-soak' lentils (I use green "continental" lentils, but brown will work too)
    500ml meat or veg stock
    1 Small tin of chopped tomatoes
    Salt and pepper to season.

Dry fry the sausages in a non-stick saucepan for 5 minutes, then throw in the chopped onion and garlic and fry it for about 2 minutes more. Add the rest of the ingredients into the saucepan and bring it to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes or so until the lentils are soft and cooked.

A nice bit of hot, crusty bread goes well with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I do a similar thing, but add some finely diced carrot and celery as well (but no tomatoes) a good sprig of thyme and finish off with a tub of sour cream or creme fraiche. Again, serve with hot, crusty bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A similar dish

Cook sausages long and slow in a frying pan until oozing sticky juices.
    Cook some puy lentils in boiling water until tender
    Take sausages out of pan - chuck in lentils and coat with juices
    Add chopped parsley
    Plate up
    Slice sausages and place on top of lentils
    Dress with good quality balsamic vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

4 clonakilty sausages. George Forman. 2 Slices of McCloskey's batched bread. Perfection

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Jamie Oliver's Sweet Cherry Tomato and Sausage Bake:

2kg of lovely ripe cherry tomatoes - mixed colours if you can find them
    2 sprigs each of fresh thyme, rosemary and bay
    1 tablespoon of dried oregano
    3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
    12 good-quality Cumberland or coarse Italian pork sausages
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

How to make sweet cherry tomato and sausage bake:

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Get yourself an appropriately sized roasting tray, large enough to take the tomatoes in one snug-fitting layer. Put in all your tomatoes, the herb sprigs, oregano, garlic and sausages. Drizzle well with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss together, then make sure the sausages are on top and pop the tray into the oven for half an hour. After this time, give it a shake and turn the sausages over. Put back into the oven for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how golden and sticky you like your sausages.

Or put a layer of Worcestershire Sauce in a dish, roll sausages around in it and bake at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes, turning once or twice. Works very well for cocktail sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mmmmm! I've got to stay away from threads like this! :)

On saussies, do punters have a fav brand/type? I bought a 10 pack of Shaws this week and I have to say very nice and a bit bigger than the usual Denny-type bangers.

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

mike65 wrote: »
    Mmmmm! I've got to stay away from threads like this! :)

On saussies, do punters have a fav brand/type? I bought a 10 pack of Shaws this week and I have to say very nice and a bit bigger than the usual Denny-type bangers.

Mike.

Shaws are nice but I think nothing compares to Superquinn sausages, especially the jumbo ones. Sometimes I buy their sausagemeat and make my own sausage rolls then freeze them. Yummy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Jamie Oliver's Sweet Cherry Tomato and Sausage Bake:

2kg of lovely ripe cherry tomatoes - mixed colours if you can find them
    2 sprigs each of fresh thyme, rosemary and bay
    1 tablespoon of dried oregano
    3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
    12 good-quality Cumberland or coarse Italian pork sausages
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

How to make sweet cherry tomato and sausage bake:

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Get yourself an appropriately sized roasting tray, large enough to take the tomatoes in one snug-fitting layer. Put in all your tomatoes, the herb sprigs, oregano, garlic and sausages. Drizzle well with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss together, then make sure the sausages are on top and pop the tray into the oven for half an hour. After this time, give it a shake and turn the sausages over. Put back into the oven for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how golden and sticky you like your sausages.

Or put a layer of Worcestershire Sauce in a dish, roll sausages around in it and bake at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes, turning once or twice. Works very well for cocktail sausages.

Made this sausage and cherry tomato bake during the week - OMG it's delicious, had it with mash then for the next night I added a few chilli flakes and had it with pasta and garlic bread

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I experimented a little a while back and threw in 12 Superquinn sauges (the best), a tin of tomatoes, a tin of kidney beans, a tin of butter beans, some mixed herbs, garlic, coarse ground black pepper, a dash of chile powder, and a couple of other spices. 'Twas nice!

There's also a sausage and bread bake that I've enjoyed before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was in Superquinn when I bought the Shaws, I looked at the sheer flipping size of the mothers (surely they could double for a truncheon) and the price and decided I'd take the middle path - not too cheap, not too expensive.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Make this a fair bit....very tasty..

A quick pasta supper with warm, mildly spicy flavors that are perfect for a cool fall or winter evening.
    ingredients
    1 pound penne or medium shells
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    8 hot Italian sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    3 tablespoons grainy mustard
    Pinch of crushed red pepper
    1 cup thinly sliced basil
    directions
    Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Make this a fair bit....very tasty..

A quick pasta supper with warm, mildly spicy flavors that are perfect for a cool fall or winter evening.
    ingredients
    1 pound penne or medium shells
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    8 hot Italian sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    3 tablespoons grainy mustard
    Pinch of crushed red pepper
    1 cup thinly sliced basil
    directions
    Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the pasta and basil and toss to coat. Serve at once.

This looks yummy, I'd like to make it over the weekend. One question, by crushed red pepper do they mean crushed red peppercorns or paprika? Sounds strange to me!

Watna

I use dried crushed chili....just a small amount, gives it a nice bit of heat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

@Billyblanks, how many does that serve? Sounds nice & easy but I'd only need to make it for one.

JohnK,

That is for 4 people. I half the amount of ingredients, that usually gives me enough for 1 dinner and a lunch the next day..

If that still seems too much just put less pasta in.

By the way you dont have to use 'Hot Italian sausages'(they are good) I tend to use different sausages each time, all seem to work well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Cheers Billy, think I'll give that a go during the week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Go into local chipper , order sausage and chips meal , eat. yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deediddums

Chorizo and Bean Stew

Clove of Garlic,

Onion,

Chorizo sausage sliced,

Herb and pork sausage sliced,

Tin of tomato,

Kidney/mixed/cassoulet beans,

Red wine (large glass)

Put olive oil, onions and garlic (finely chopped) in saucepan and allow to sweat. Add the chorizo and allow to fry so that most of the fat is released, if it starts to stick add a good dash of red wine. In a mixing bowl dust the chopped sausage pieces with chilli and paprika. Add them to the pan and cook thoroughly. Add the rest of the wine.

Add the tomato and beans, a good pinch of sugar and some salt and pepper. Leave to simmer or transfer to a casserole dish and leave in the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There's a lovely polish stew made with polish sausage (can't remember the name, large and spicey) with hard boiled eggs in it called Żurek. Delicious. You can buy the ingredients in any Polish store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BBurek

Advertisement