Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel worksheet reference question

Options
  • 21-08-2007 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Very simple 1st year question, but I'm using the wrong terms in help & google so turning to y'all.

I have local cell references e.g. "=G2" in a worksheet in Excel. Worksheet is called "MySheet1". I also have MySheet2 and MySheet3.

How do I reference to cells on other sheets? E.g. on MySheet3 I want to refer to cell G2 on MySheet2 - what's the syntax?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the simple question :)

- Alastair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sheet1!C3 etc. Use the sheet name followed by the exclamation or you could just use the mouse to do it for you.

EDITED :Doh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Trojan wrote:
    Hi guys,

Very simple 1st year question, but I'm using the wrong terms in help & google so turning to y'all.

I have local cell references e.g. "=G2" in a worksheet in Excel. Worksheet is called "MySheet1". I also have MySheet2 and MySheet3.

How do I reference to cells on other sheets? E.g. on MySheet3 I want to refer to cell G2 on MySheet2 - what's the syntax?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the simple question :)

- Alastair.

=MySheet2!G2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Or click on the cell you want to edit, type = then click on the sheet name at the bottom and then the cell you want and hit enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

If you want to make a refernece to cell C2 in Sheet 1, click into the cell where you want to make the refernece e.g you want to refer to it in Sheet 2, enter = and then click on the sheet you want to refer to, then the cell you want to refer to, actually quicker than typing it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cheers guys.

For the record, the correct syntax is
    ='MySheetName'!G2

Leaving out the single quotes also works, but they're added automatically (at least by Excel2007).

Thanks again for the rapid help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You should also be able to use square brackets [] instead of single quotes, if you so prefer.

They're not strictly necessary unless you have some sort of crazy multi-linking thing going on and your files and/or sheets have names with spaces in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

seamus wrote:
    You should also be able to use square brackets [] instead of single quotes, if you so prefer.

They're not strictly necessary unless you have some sort of crazy multi-linking thing going on and your files and/or sheets have names with spaces in them.

Yeah - the square brackets are used to refer to another file rather than another tab in the same workbook...

If you had file1.xls and file2.xls then to refer to file1-Sheet2-C2 within file2 you'd use '[file1.xls]Sheet2'!$C$2

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm getting a little confused. I thought Excel used some degree of dotted notation. Maybe I've been spending too much time with SQL Server... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Why use confusing dots when you can use [ ] ' ' ! ?

Advertisement