Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Probably a simple question

Options
  • 21-08-2007 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Got a small oil leak in my car. I was told to buy something to slow it down. So i bought Redex StopLeak.

Now, what i want to know is, do i just simply pour it in with the oil already in the car or do i have to do something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You'd be better off to get the leak fixed. Anything else is simply cutting corners, tbh. At the very least you should know what is leaking and what the implications are if the leak gets worse..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It will be getting fixed, but the mechanic wont be able to do it until Thursday. His uncle died so is out of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

I'd be very reluctant to put anything other than oil into the engine. If this stuff, which I've never heard of, so don't know how it works, will plug a leak it may also bung up an oil channel affecting the flow of oil over the moving parts which it is meant to lubricate. If it is, as you say, a small leak I'd just keep an eye on your oil level and top up as necessary until your mechanic can get to look at it. Believe me, a few litres of oil is alot cheaper than a new big end bearing.

Advertisement