Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is liable for damage to a house?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I'm renting,

and I'll be brief, I had a shower, got dry and sat on the top cover of the toilet to put me socks on and it broke.

It was the cheapest plastic tat that a rented house usually comes with and broke under a normal use.

Do I have to replace the bloody thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Depends on the landlord. They can usually just take anything that was caused outside of general wear and tear. From experience id say its unlikely the landlord will notice a seat missing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Make your own with toilet paper from now on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Motosam wrote:
    I'm renting,

and I'll be brief, I had a shower, got dry and sat on the top cover of the toilet to put me socks on and it broke.

It was the cheapest plastic tat that a rented house usually comes with and broke under a normal use.

Do I have to replace the bloody thing.

Sitting on the cover of a toilet seat is not normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

It's broken, down to inappropriate use (although using it for such uses is a common occurrance) - if it was me, I'd be replacing it with "..the cheapest plastic tat that a rented house usually comes with".. Fair is fair :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ciarsd wrote:
    It's broken, down to inappropriate use (although using it for such uses is a common occurrance) - if it was me, I'd be replacing it with "..the cheapest plastic tat that a rented house usually comes with".. Fair is fair :)

As would I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I would replace it like for like

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Replace like with like, or the landlord will get the most expensive shiney one out of your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kearnsr wrote:
    Sitting on the cover of a toilet seat is not normal use.

Never heard this before.:confused:
    So you never sat on one while putting on your socks for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

daveirl wrote:

It's for annoying wimmin, by placing in the upright position;)

Seriously though OP, just replace it with the cheapest think you can find, as others have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or even better: get a wodden one. You're able to sit on the wooden ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'll go to a house due to be knocked and take one.

Thats it, if it survived that its better already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

daveirl wrote:

You know when you flush. A fine spray of "stuff" :D gets thrown up. You won't see it or feel it but it's there. That's why they recommend you don't keep your toothbrush within a few feet of a toilet, because not everybody puts down the seat when flushing.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f02/web2/stan.html

daveirl wrote:

A toilet set cover is to cover the toilet seat. Most of them are tin plastic. I wont sit on one casue chances are I'd go through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I hate it when landlords furnish a house with matchstick furniture then moan if it gets broken. If something breaks due to normal use its the landlords fault for buying cheap.

bobbyjoe wrote:
    I hate it when landlords furnish a house with matchstick furniture then moan if it gets broken. If something breaks due to normal use its the landlords fault for buying cheap.

Again its not normal use in this case

Advertisement