Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New doors

Options
  • 21-08-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Some advise if anyone Can Would be great, just ordered new doors for the house. Being supplied and fitted by Dublin door store, , the thing is they will be delivered and fitted some time around the end of september, however as we are in a Bungalow and the loo is downstairs, The loo door and the second bedroom door have that weird frame above the door, you know that ones that usually have frosted glass or something in them, ( I Can get a picture if needed) The doors will come with all the surroundings etc, But we have to somehow remove these frames from Above the doors and replace them With plaster board( its not a big area maybe 1and 1/2 foot by 1and a 1/2foot kinda Space, Now the thing is Im not to bad With the hands but When it Comes to plastering or polyfiling Im next to useless. Any ideas whats the best way to go about this? Where to begin, with out having to hire a carpenter or plasterer etc?

Cheers all

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

plasterboard will probably be fine
    have you tried just painting the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks

Well the idea is to make it back into a normal wall as such above the standard door frame As there is arcatrive coming to go Above the doors so We need to make them look like a standard door, if you know What I mean
    Dublin Door store said they could give me the number For a carpenter , but after forking out over 2 grand for 6 doors, spending money on a carpenter and trying to get the Same style/colour wood for the two above door panels isnt going to be a option,,,

hmm where to begin..

:)

R

if you can post a picture it might help us but going on why my parents house looks like...
    you are going to need to cut the frame back to the "normal" height (where the cross beam is)
    Then you need to take a look and see whats joining the two plasterboard sheets now that you have removed the frame.
    There is probably (hopefully!) a stud right there that the frame was screwed/nailed to.
    screw/nail a new piece of timber the same width as the stud to the stud and use this to fix your new pieces of plasterboard to.
    do the same on the other side, tape and skim the joins and happy days

there wasnt that easy (to write) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NanoNano

I know you said you want it to look like a normal wall but here's another idea. I saw somewhere plastic that you can stick on to the glass and it looks like frosted glass. It will let light true but you can't see through it.
    The advantage is, it's just really easy.

Thanks Nanonano and Greebo

Heres some photos to give yeh an idea, The bathroom is already Really light so the glass dosnt matter ,

The stud, yeh thanks greebo , sounds like the way forward

r

• Advertisement

with the first picture (as the door is essentially in a corridor) you will probably get away with just covering that section with a piece of plasterboard, the architrave will cover where the plasterboard meets the top of the door frame

The other door looks like it will have to go the studly route ;)

Excellent , never thought of that thanks Greebo

Will look into just covering the first one and the work on ths stud route for the second.

Most excellent.. Owe yeh a pint :)

R

though the inside of that room might look a bit weird...
    depending on the finish you are looking for you might need to go the stud route on both doors

hmm Taken down the arcatrive thats at the back of the door tonight so will have a look and See , If i can get away with it and it turns out alright and ends upwith less work for me then i will go with that route otherwise will have To go the stud route,

Are there premade covers that would cover this kinda thing?
    Been Watching loads of Buy old house and do it up kinda programmes lately and seemed a fashion At one point to just cover and entire door with a flat timber sheet .,...

Once again thanks

R

Advertisement