Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't always connect to http - but can use google talk

• 21-08-2007 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Ok Vista Business on Dell Inspiron 6400
    I also have a belkin wireless router (but my prob, also occured before I installed this)

Ok when I connect to my network - either wireless or by network cable I get connected to the network and can use various programs like google talk, limewire, bittorrent etc

but I can't use internet, via IE or firefox, it keeps saying can't display page. etc - sometime I have to disconnect to reconnect anywhere between 2-10times to allow me to browse the web (I always know when I can use teh web, as skype connects, which it wouldn't have when no internet)

I also use McAfee security centre, and have tried turning off all firewalls etc before and still the same program

any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have the same prob on a Dell Latitude D610 that I have from work. It can connect to my router and I can logon to the router, but it won't find any internet pages.........I can however connect by all things not http........the only way I can access the web is to logon to work by vpn and surf the web this way.........not really an issue as I have computers at home for the web etc, but I would like to know the cure.

I had the problem with a Belkin Wireless G router and now with a Belkin Wireless N router, which replaced the old one. I doubt the router is the problem tho.

Inqui

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Could be a dns issue (DNS converts something like www.google.ie to its ip number).

Go to start -> run (or on vista type into the search bar) -> type cmd and hit enter.
    This should open up the command prompt.

Here type in "ping www.google.ie", if you get a reply in ms then you can rule out dns. If this replies with unreachable/unknown host (or something like that) try "ping 209.85.129.99" (thats the google.ie site as well just in numerical form). If this gives a reply in ms then you know its a dns error and we can go from there.

If neither work/both work then it's something else.

EDIT: If it is indeed a dns error please verify that you entered your correct dns server into the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Could be a dns issue ....

I tried this, and I could ping both the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

hmm ok, will have a think and hopefully get back to you with something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It COULD be a DNS server issue with your ISP. Try configuring your router to use openDNS.org

DNS Server 1: 208.67.222.222
    DNS Server 2: 208.67.220.220

Once you've done that, you may need to reboot your router and refresh your DHCP on computer

In command prompt
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Once done [might take a few minutes to update], surf to http://welcome.opendns.com/ to see if it worked. If so, try surf to any other page.

Setup router
    Setup Windows
    Setup Linux/Unix
    Setup Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hmm .. something weird went on
    I pressed 'Automatically connect to network' for wireless and now it connects everytime .... dunno what's going on ... but hey it works

Advertisement