Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Math!

Options
  • 21-08-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

So here i am heading into second year computer science and i have to pick 3 option modules, all of the option are math courses and i'm finding the information provided on what is covered and how difficult they are (I'm not really good at math) lacking, i'm also wondering how interesting they are and how well they connect with computer science, some of them sound quite interesting.

I hope someone can help shed a little light on this for me. Below are my options, I'm liking the sound of 30290 and 20150.

MAPH20150 Vector Calculus
    MATH20030 Linear Models in the Sciences
    MATH30290 Mathematical Logic
    MATH30300 Group Theory and Applications
    MATH20140 Multivariable Calculus and App
    MATH20150 Graphs and Networks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Graphs and Networks ties in nicely with computer science imo and is worth taking.

For the rest i don't currently see the point in them with regards computer science (i took linear models in the sciences and multivariable calc). Maybe i'll find a use for them this year, who knows ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

That was what i was thinking. :)

I have to choose one of the first 4 above do you have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nellybelly

Maths Logic would be pretty relevant to computer science, and it's quite interesting (I'd almost say fun...but that would be too nerdy) if you are that way inclined.

I would think vector calculus might seem a bit strange if you're not really into maths. Multivariate calculus might be an easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't remember having the option of math logic last year (that doesn't mean it wasnt there, i was sick of logic at that stage already so may have just ignored it :p ).

It might indeed be the one to go for.
    Linear models in the sciences was fairly handy, didn't do an awful lot of work and passed it. The rest of the top 4 i don't know anything about, hopefully someone here can advise you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

linear models is supposidly very easy
    i'm doing it myself this year, as well as the vector calculus, multivariable calc & app

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Now what exactly is Group Theory and its Applications (MATH30300)? the description given is vague!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Group theory is rotten, don't take it. Mathematical Logic connects quite well with the Foundations of Computing and Program Construction courses you have to take in 3rd year, so that could be worth it. I didn't find the math physics version of vector calculus to be too difficult when I took it as part of 2nd Math Sci, but it's not very relevant to CS.

Advertisement