Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who's responsible for our roads ?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I recently watched a program about the German Autobahn's and was shocked at how much effort they put into the network, they have even invented and built a machine to automate the cleaning of the reflectors on the roadside.

I was just wondering who's responsible here NRA, local clowns ?
    Not a day goes by that I don't see some sh*te lying about on the M50 and theres a load strap from a truck in on the middle of the off ramp for the M1 for the last 2 years.

Is there any agency in Ireland tasked with keeping the roads here clean and free of sh*te or this something else you don't get in a "low tax" economy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

RobAMerc wrote:
    local clowns ?

Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought the NRA was responsible for motorways and N-roads and the local muppets for the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Stephen wrote:
    I thought the NRA was responsible for motorways and N-roads and the local muppets for the rest?

kind of...they sometimes argue with each other to avoid work though:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Its basically the NRA and the local Co. Councils. I believe funding comes from the NRA and is granted to the Council for road upkeep and maintenance. New road projects, motorways, bypasses and road expansions are handled by the NRA, but with the input and consultation of local councils. Most "Local Clowns" work hand in hand with the NRA for a large part of their Job. Certainly our road maintenance program could do with a boost of efficiency, other countries put us to shame, especially when you consider how much we actually PAY to drive on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ninty9er wrote:
    kind of...they sometimes argue with each other to avoid work though:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Its not an issue of doing more work, its getting the funding to do it, or having to do more with the same budget. Blame the esteemed people you promote in your sig for that............:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

astraboy wrote:
    Its not an issue of doing more work, its getting the funding to do it, or having to do more with the same budget. Blame the esteemed people you promote in your sig for that............:rolleyes:

I beg to correct you...such disagreements have been blamed for a lovcal high profile lack of pedestrian crossings on what is an N road, but no longer the main Limerick-Dublin according to the NRA, bothe had the funding but neither wanted to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I get frustrated with the potholes on the roads just like the one that buckled 2 of my alloys on the Fairyhouse road. See pics attached, including some other hapless victim in an E46.:mad:

There are 2 huge potholes on the road that runs parrallel to the main Dublin airport runway on the way to the sharp left turn before that tiny village near the airport control tower. Wheel killers for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nasty.

There is a nice little piece of road distinegration happening in Kilmeaden Co Waterford, the whole village stretch, which is on the N25 was nicely and at great expense of money and time resurfaced two years ago a small area of about a metre square started to sink and then crack, then the crack opened and then the boyos came along and threw a load of hot tar into it so the surface is now bumpy.

When the first frost hits (assuming trucks don't destroy it first) the whole thing will break apart fill with water and what started as small annoyance will be a great big danger.

At which point someone from the council with a can of yellow spray paint will mark the resurfacing area and the whole thing will start again until they dig out the area down to the base rock and do a proper job.

Which will be never.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

mike65 wrote:
    ...then the boyos came along and threw a load of hot tar into it so the surface is now bumpy.

A common sight. And as you mention the rudy lot will start breaking up in no time. Ive seen this time and time again.

Advertisement