Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Degree!

Options
  • 21-08-2007 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi folks,

I just wanted to post a question here regarding my education situation and see if anyone can advise me.

This year I returned to full time University education following some time away, working in a senior position in an organisation. College hasn’t gone well this year – I found the course material fine but I find exams very difficult and this impacted on my overall performance. Looking dispassionately at my likely results I reckon I will be getting either a pass or a 3rd.

I had my heart set on a postgraduate course in a similar area to my Undergrad. The course requires a “good degree, normally a 2.1”. However, if I present for the course with a pass degree what are my chances of getting in? My CV is quite good and I have some relevant industry experience in the area and I feel I can present myself well in an interview if offered one, but is that worth anything with a poor degree?

My friends have been supportive and say that fee-paying taught masters often take in students with less than the required results, and this course seems undersubscribed as the University have contacted me several times to confirm I am still interested.

Can anyone offer some dispassionate advice or personal experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

If you search in this forum, you'll find a number of posts like yours, and in general the responses varied between "it varies" and "probably, pending an interview with the course coordinator". In my experience, postgraduate courses here are starved of people with considerable relevant industry experience, with many people fast-tracking from straight from their degree, or within a year or two.

Some courses offer a H-Dip programme that is quite tightly knit into the taught masters; if you do badly in the Masters you can "get out" with a H-Dip, or if you do well in the H-Dip course-work component you can "upgrade" to the Masters and complete the course-work difference. Taught masters are used by some colleges to allow disciplines changes so can be quite flexible.

All things considered, it's probably best to go talk to the course coordinator. If there's a research component, and you have ideas, then all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ox

CathalMc, thanks for that response. Just to give an update for those interested, I contacted the course co-ordinator and stated my case and he took my side and agreed to make and support a case to the Programme Board, so he's pretty optimistic.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

and to give you further hope....
    I've only a pass degree but have been accepted onto just about any masters Ive applied for, even though all were seeking honours degree..some straight off, some took a bit of persuasion..ie my experience, relevance to work etc - just starting a masters at ITB even though they rejected me at first..I kept at it till they agreed :) So I'd say you'll be grand ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

I've only a pass degree but have been accepted onto just about any masters
    just starting a masters at ITB even though they rejected me at first.

Eh, ITB?

IT Blanch I assume.

• Advertisement
Advertisement