Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

labrador versus springer?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

im getting a dog soon and looking for either one of these.i plan to use it for a bit of roughshooting but mainly as a good fun pet.

What are the charateristics of each dog and how would they differ.is there any good or bad points between the two breeds ?

great forum by the way very informative.I just saw the thread about the governmant ban on the "dangerous dogs".Pure lunacy.pitbulls or german shepards arent dangerous!its the owner who makes them so.Rant over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

labs can get very fat quickly if not given enough exercise. iv'e also met more grumpy labs than i can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Springer all the way.
    Loyal, very good natured, good with kids, will run forever with you, eager to work and play.
    Our springer left for the big kennel in the sky a few months ago. Would definately reccomend them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

yeah thats right the majority of older labs ive seen are tubby but im wondering is this just cause they dont get exercised enough.i heard they are prone to it more-so than other dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

My active parents had a lab untill he left the departure lounge at 18 years. He was never really fat, if this fella is traipsing around the hills shooting I reckon the lab is as good as the springer.

Are all springers hyper and happy? Do they ever relax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Springers are very relaxed when not in "hunting" mode. They could power-nap for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Springers are very relaxed when not in "hunting" mode. They could power-nap for Ireland.

Right, fair enough, didn't know that. I have a Weimaraner, takes ages for him to calm down, paces around the house a lot, sniffs every corner, generally makes a pain in the ass of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

There are good qualities in both.

You do have to watch the food intake of the labs. All my labs where never
    fat or excess weight also they had all been neutured/spayed. Also excercised every daily.

Springers are known to be hyper but have a friendly happy disposition and also require excercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

We used to have a Springer and I have to say he really didn't like the kids playing around him. It put him in a really bad mood (snapping and growling). Other than that, a lovely dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mongo19

Labs all the way, i ve had 1 for 8yrs now since she was a pup,males generally tend 2 have issues with weight rather than bitches. Labs are so laid back and easy going in my experiences and show bundle loads of loyalty and companionship!!

Go 4 a lab(bitch)-all d way my son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silvermoon

We have 2 springers and they are fantastic pets.

One is 14 and the other 2.

Both fantastic with kids.

Have huge energy and always on the go - especially when young!

Will eat absolutely anything and I do mean anything.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Good luck:D

• Advertisement

thanks for the info

I think i'll go for either its just a matter of actually finding a good one for not outrageous money.

Another thing:anyone have a radio fence fitted?Im gonna buy one sometime soon.The old folks dont want a fence cause it wont look nice and this way he/sh will get to play one the back lawn and the front lawn!:D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Might be no harm to ask about these breeds in the shooting forum. I have no experience with gun dogs.

Do a search on radio fences on boards, and many threads will come up. They arent an easy solution, the dog will have to be trained to it... and you have to make sure the batteries are changed regularly. It doesnt stop strange dogs wandering in either, which can also be a problem. However many people use them with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Springers all the way. Most of the guys in the local gun club have them.

thanks fits!i might just do that.
    thats a good point about the radio fence.maybe it might be better in the long with a fence or closed of section of the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Springers can sometimes get very fat too, I've seen some very tubby springers who are gundogs! We used to have a springer and they're very loyal dogs and full of energy, they are great for coming back to you. They're very energetic dogs so make sure they're well trained to prevent any overexcitable behavior or aggression etc.

Not into shooting myself but we own an English Setter who we got from a shelter cos she was gunshy and she's great at stalking birds and is very trainable. She just lies around the house all day like a couch potato but once you take her out for a walk she has tonnes of energy and could run all day! She has a very sweet nature too.

Oh and don't forget to accustom them to loud noises to prevent gunshyness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Remmy wrote:
    im getting a dog soon and looking for either one of these.i plan to use it for a bit of roughshooting but mainly as a good fun pet.

What are the charateristics of each dog and how would they differ.is there any good or bad points between the two breeds ?

great forum by the way very informative.I just saw the thread about the governmant ban on the "dangerous dogs".Pure lunacy.pitbulls or german shepards arent dangerous!its the owner who makes them so.Rant over!

Wanna save a puppy's life...

Here's a litter of Springer puppies looking for new homes;

http://www.dogsindistress.org/homes-needed.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mairt wrote:
    Wanna save a puppy's life...

Here's a litter of Springer puppies looking for new homes;

http://www.dogsindistress.org/homes-needed.htm

Go with Mairts idea-and if you want a lab you can get 1 there also..get the dog you want plus save it from certain death.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Have owned two labs great dogs,one male,one female.Never had any issues with their weight.Cant understand why people do??If your feeding them too much thats the owners fault,if their not getting enough exercise then once again thats the owners fault.

Remmy,

The Ashtown pound is full at present and all large dogs are presently on the danger list.

Have a look through the forum on dogsindistress.org;

http://www.neighbours.ie/prospecthill/showthread.php?p=3846#post3846

If you can't find a dog you'd like to keep, you can foster one until the DiD.org people find it its new 'forever home'. Sort of like you taking a breed for a test drive!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

My last dog was a springer lab cross :D she was amazing.

• Advertisement

Mairt,
    That foster care thing sounds like a good idea but i just know at the end of the 3 weeks i would be too attached.That link you gave me was M.A related .

Remmy wrote:
    Mairt,
    That foster care thing sounds like a good idea but i just know at the end of the 3 weeks i would be too attached.That link you gave me was M.A related .

Oh sorry about the Martial Arts link. Here's the DiD.org forum;

http://www.dogsindistress.org/whatdiddo.htm

For the last ew months I was on the search for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, searching hi & lo for a breeder but the people here put the idea of rescueing a dog to me, but I was against it at first.

Then I found 'Jericho' in Ashtown and saving him has been more rewarding than I thought possible.

Advertisement