Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a new car in Sept? What % of loss is this?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

I really need a car and Im considering a new Golf low end car.

How much of a % loss is this?

Can I req a garrage custs me a deal on one of their second hands now and throws me a 08 in Jan?

I just dont want a second hand car that causes me $ in repair is all.
    I have a budget of 15 - 20K and 15 is a huge gamble so Im thinking new.

Are Golfs and their resale worth the $ new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Buy one of the ex-rentals coming back in Sept. They can't have been abused that much in their short lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

ballooba wrote:
    Buy one of the ex-rentals coming back in Sept. They can't have been abused that much in their short lives.

Eh ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

What % does a car loose in one year?

On that basis I will cut a deal on a new one and a loaner til 08 Me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Sorry I'm probably missing the point, why buy a low-end golf as you put it spending €15-€20k on a car that will not attract many 2nd hand buyers, plus loosing a couple of grand in the first year on depreciation.

Would you not be better off spending your hard earned money on something a little older (couple of years) that has the alloys, leather, multiple airbags, the type of premium spec that a buyer will be looking for in another couple of years?

I mean I bought a €120,000 car 6 years later for €20,000, I know myself it'll never stop depreciating but hey I didn't lose the biggest chunk of the value, I drive my cars until they fall apart anyway, sell them on for a couple of hundred then go again.

Just a thought, go see a reputable VW dealer and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no garage will lend you a car till '08, very few will even do a deal for an 08 car due to uncertainty on how the VRT system is going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

worded wrote:
    Can I req a garrage custs me a deal on one of their second hands now and throws me a 08 in Jan?

If you are lucky enough to get a saleman to bid you the time of day you will be doing well, not to mind getting a loan of a car for 4 months.

I tried buying a new car 18 mths ago (I had €25k of used notes to hand out!) and I felt like a beggar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ballooba wrote:

Oh yeah:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Looks like I forgot the smiley. D'oh! ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Alt GR 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Buy the car you want instead of worrying about resale values and keeping it for the next owner - that's my motto! :D

(I registered a car on the 21st of December once. I refuse to keep up with the Joneses :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

No one has answered the question - is there an % even approx that a car
    looses in its first year? and second year?

Im considering a second hand car - but its just sweet to get a new one with a full warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Look at the price of a one year old one now on some of the car web sites :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

colm_mcm wrote:
    no garage will lend you a car till '08, very few will even do a deal for an 08 car due to uncertainty on how the VRT system is going to change.
    Why whats happening to the vrt system.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

worded wrote:
    No one has answered the question - is there an % even approx that a car
    looses in its first year?

The reason no one has answered the question is that there is no easy answer. Some cars depreciate 40% in the first year, some only 10%. In extreme cases (mainly in hard to get supercars) , the second hand value of a car might be higher than the new price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    Why whats happening to the vrt system.
    ?

... no one knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy a cheap old car like a Fiesta or Polo now and sell it on privately in January. You will probably loose very little on the car between now and January as depreciation will have almost bottomed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

maidhc wrote:
    ... no one knows!
    Ah ok.

Advertisement