Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Freeze on New Licences Pending Court Case ???

Options
  • 21-08-2007 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi All,

I have just been told that our local super will not be granting any new pistol licences until some high court case has been decided on. I was advised (fair play to the local Sgt.) not to apply until this has blown over. To apply now will only result in a refusal, etc etc. Yes, I know what you are thinking, Super and Sgt. are in it together etc etc, but I have every reason to believe that he is on the level. Apparently several other supers are of the same opinion? Anyone?

Maybe I was under a rock for the last however long, but could someome take a few minutes to fill me in one this court case, if any? The last one I know of was in 2004.
    This one is supposedly similar, i.e. individual claimimg supers decision is unconstitutional etc etc.

I am completely in the dark here

Rusty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Heard from crime prev officer in my area other day our super isn't granting any more pistol licences either.......no mention of pending case though.....something afoot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Heard from crime prev officer in my area other day our super isn't granting any more pistol licences either.......no mention of pending case though.....something afoot ?

Centerfires I take it as opposed to rimmy's or air pistols?

bigred wrote:

He said pistols presume all of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dunno if it will be more difficult down my neck of the
    woods for the near future as as I can see from todays paper
    my local Super is on the front page with a picture
    of confiscated Bolt Action rifles and some shotguns.
    (Had to laugh they called the bolt actions assault rifles)
    with the crime problems at the moment they are talking
    about getting the armed sections of the Gardai to
    patrol certain parts of the Council estates. I reckon
    they will be keeping a close eye on Ordinary peeps
    applying for Licenses so I am hoping it does not
    start getting difficult for shooters with addresses
    in more urban areas.

~B

bullets wrote:
    of confiscated Bolt Action rifles and some shotguns.
    (Had to laugh they called the bolt actions assault rifles)
    with the crime problems at the moment they are talking
    about getting the armed sections of the Gardai to
    patrol certain parts of the Council estates. I reckon
    they will be keeping a close eye on Ordinary peeps
    applying for Licenses so I am hoping it does not
    start getting difficult for shooters with addresses
    in more urban areas.

~B

Should get onto paper and make them print a correction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But what reason would an ordinary person have to get a pistol? Protecting your family?

If it was a shotgun to go on outings with a club I'd understand but I can definitly see why the Gardai want to stop people getting pistols.

Not trying to be smart OP, just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

bigred wrote:

Lads, he knew I was looking for a .22 cert..didn't make any difference, arsa he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

micmclo wrote:
    But what reason would an ordinary person have to get a pistol? Protecting your family?

If it was a shotgun to go on outings with a club I'd understand but I can definitly see why the Gardai want to stop people getting pistols.

Not trying to be smart OP, just wondering.

Ever heard of target shooting ????????? Target shooting clubs???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Been a member of a gun club in the past but never been target shooting with pistols.

So, thanks for the explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

bullets wrote:
    of confiscated Bolt Action rifles

Which paper B? Didn't get any today but wouldn't mind a gander at that pic/story. The Post?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

is it just pistols or is it rifles too? I put in an application for a 308 a month ago and have not heard anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mayhaps the restricted list has raised its ugly head again? Some Supers waiting to see whats on it before they pass any apps?

What division are you in OP?

Kramer wrote:
    Which paper B? Didn't get any today but wouldn't mind a gander at that pic/story. The Post?

The Limerick Leader. The Reporter that wrote the story I have
    had words with in the past asking him to get his facts straight.
    Again the media getting it wrong describing bolt action rifles
    as "assault rifles"

Heres a pic of firearms in question guess the make and calibers ladies and gentlemen?
    leader21staug20072.jpg

Won't post the actual scan of article here in case
    we get into on topic/off topic debate but will post the link of said image:
    http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/bullets_ie/leader21staug20071.jpg

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

if only bin laden could get his hand on them ,ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Not too worry six to eight weeks is quite normal. Suppose it's targets or deer you're after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Targets for the moment -I have a 270 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hi All,
    I have just been told that our local super will not be granting any new pistol licences until some high court case has been decided on.
    Neat idea, since the high court has risen and doesn't sit again until October 1.
    I think rrpc is right and this is more tied to the restricted list.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Sparks wrote:
    I think rrpc is right and this is more tied to the restricted list.

Has there been any movement on this "list"
    ave any of the Shooting bodies been in consultation with the Gardai or DOJ?

We met with the DoJ just before the election and pointed out that there were several things wrong in the draft list they were looking at (it would have restricted all the aluminium stocked ISSF rifles for example). Since then, however, they've been quiet, probably due to the change of Minister. We're looking to go back in to them again at the moment on this one. The DoJ is looking to set up a consultation panel, with the DoJ, DoAST, Gardai, shooting bodies, and "other relevant people", but we've heard very little on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

I believe that a member of this forum has a high court case pending regarding the refusal of a FAC for pistol. I wonder if this has any connection to this change in policy?

• Advertisement

I doubt it - lots of people have cases pending regarding refusals of various things, but that wouldn't affect a super's ability to grant or refuse a licence. About the only thing currently pending that a super would be holding up over would be the restricted list and the as-yet-uncommenced legislation in the 2006 Criminal Justice Act that supports it.

As to the restricted list itself, there's rumours everywhere. We've not seen an official draft in several months now, not since before the election in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

All,

Just to let you know I applied for a pistol license (not 22lr) on 17th July, and recieved it yesterday. It seems to me some areas of the country are more trounblesome than others...

Local FO in my station is fantastic, and I had a complete package put together with the application form - cover letter, proof of club memberships, proof of safe etc.

mosulli4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've been waiting since april for my .308. I've been told that I'm "approved" and my license is in phoenix park and to quote the local sheriff "when we get it you'll get it":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

Well done there mosulli4. See what happens when you have a good FO.

It can go to the other extreme too. I went in to collect my FAC last week from the local station and I asked about having my 100 round limit increased to 500. The garda knew nothing about the firearms act and said to me why don't I simply amass the 500 rounds from a few visits! :eek:I ended up having to refer him to the relevant section on the FAC. It took 30 mins of phoning around various stations to find someone who knew the procedure.

It is amazing what you are up against in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Jonty wrote:
    I've been waiting since april for my .308. I've been told that I'm "approved" and my license is in phoenix park and to quote the local sheriff "when we get it you'll get it":D

I can bet you if you call Mary in the Phoenix Park she will tell you differently! (Just quote her your pulse number, she is extremely helpful! )
    It's a common excuse.. All applications are turned around within a day in the phoenix park according to Mary..who runs the office there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Terrier wrote:
    I can bet you if you call Mary in the Phoenix Park she will tell you differently! (Just quote her your pulse number, she is extremely helpful! )
    It's a common excuse.. All applications are turned around within a day in the phoenix park according to Mary..who runs the office there..

Contact No. and Full Name would be gratefully appreciated :D

GilGrissom wrote:
    It can go to the other extreme too. I went in to collect my FAC last week from the local station and I asked about having my 100 round limit increased to 500. The garda knew nothing about the firearms act and said to me why don't I simply amass the 500 rounds from a few visits!

Before I even got my first FAC I specifically asked to go from 100 to 500
    but I was told more or less the same thing. I could get 100 one day,
    the next day I could get another 100. I asked specifically at the time
    about having more than 100 stored at home and they said oh yeah no problem.
    (Only catch is dont have that in writeing!!!)

Isn't the European Licence (is that what you call it?) a default
    of 500 Rounds the one where you can apply to travel with your firearm??

~B

I asked specifically at the time
    about having more than 100 stored at home and they said oh yeah no problem.

No problem until you get a visit from the Gardaí asking to see your weapon and ammo. I bet if they found you with more than 100 rounds they could seize your weapon and ammo. Can anyone confirm if they could in a case like that?

Can anyone confirm if they could in a case like that?
    Yes, they could. Just because the local garda said you could do something, doesn't mean it's legal.

Bullets, the European Firearms Permit defaults to 500 rounds, so you could get one and then have your own certificate amended - and you're legally entitled to the Europass the moment your own certificate is issued. So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense really...

• Advertisement

How do you obtain a Europass?

Advertisement