Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Freeze on New Licences Pending Court Case ???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Smersh, just ask your FO for one. They are free. You will need to provide him with a few passport photos. Don't forget to smile. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just ask your local garda for one SMERSH, once you get your firearms cert, you become entitled to an Article 7 and a Europass - meaning, there's no application process, just you ask and they're obligated to provide. (There's a nominal fee and you need some passport photos, but that's about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Excuse my ignorance, but does a Europass allow you to travel to any EU country with your firearm? And if so is this all that is required for a shooter in the UK to bring say a rifle here for a weekend of hunting?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

astraboy wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but does a Europass allow you to travel to any EU country with your firearm? And if so is this all that is required for a shooter in the UK to bring say a rifle here for a weekend of hunting?:confused:
    Yes and because yes, no.
    Or, to be more clear, the Europass allows you to travel to any EU country with your firearm; but that doesn't mean that it allows you to enter that country. It's an in-transit document, like your passport (which is what it's meant to be, a passport for your firearm). It's not enough to get you across the border, just up to it. You need the firearms equivalent to a visa to get in. I've heard that some EU states consider the europass to be acceptable for that purpose for some classes of firearm, but the UK isn't one of those states, and neither is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Saprks will probably corrcect me if I'm wrong but my understanding regardng the UK ( except NI) is that you need permission \ licence from the local Police in the District \ Region where you are going to be keeping \ using the firearm before you can bring it there. You also need the European Firearms Pass of course.

For NI, its different, you need a Visitors permit issued by the PSNI and your European Firearms Pass.

A few countries I've been to like the Netherlands seem happy if you have the pass but others like germany want to see your excuse for bringing it ther (eg: an invitation to a competition or something like that). It would be foolish to ever assume and just go there, without doing some checking with the authorities in the relevant country and \ or say competition organisers.

Anyone coming here will also need a Firearms Certificate for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

From my experience, some European non EU countries(eg Norway) will also accept Euro Pass with no difficulties and no other paperwork(except reason for firearm like competition entry, organised hunt etc) while UK, NI, ROI require you to have permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sparks wrote:
    Just ask your local garda for one SMERSH, once you get your firearms cert, you become entitled to an Article 7 and a Europass - meaning, there's no application process, just you ask and they're obligated to provide. (There's a nominal fee and you need some passport photos, but that's about it).

I reckon asking for something as simple as that would totally
    mind fu*k my local Garda members.

No offense towards them but they just lack the knowledge.
    to know whats legal and illegal and what the laws are
    which may seem harsh but they need more training.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

:confused: Same all ****e.:rolleyes:
    Thank god im out of shooting.:D

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

You sound very bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Not at all. I had many years of shooting freely, but it seems to be getting crowded right now and i, over the last couple of years, seem to be more into my running dogs and ferrting, so was quiet happy to put them down to rest.;)

keelan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement