Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI 120

Options
  • 21-08-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

hey all,

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI 120? I've had a look at parkers and honestjohn and they don't think too much about its reliablity. What do people here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Pep wrote:
    hey all,

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI 120? I've had a look at parkers and honestjohn and they don't think too much about its reliablity. What do people here think?

You do know there is a new model coming out VERY soon? I think production has already started.

The Laguna is quite possibly the most unreliable car on the road. The August issue of CAR Magazine quoted their quality control czar as admitting the Laguna "was clearly a disaster".

Having said that the last of the line will probably have most of the bugs ironed out. But there are surely better options out there?

O and BTW I have first hand experience of a late '90s Renault that was the worst car we've ever had in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

And 90s Renaults weren't even the worst made Renaults!

4 years ago my old pair were in the market for a car like the Renault Laguna. Its not a word of a lie that the Renault salesman told us that the Laguna 'would not be as reliable as a Toyota'(as we told him we had a Toyota). Now if a salesman is going to admit that to someone who might be interesed in buying a car from their garage and from the brand they are trying to convince you and me to buy that the cars they are selling will not be as reliable as others, then you know that there will be trouble ahead. Actually now that I remember it the salesman told us to take a spin in a particular Laguna, because 'the other one has a gearbox problem', and it was only a 2 year old car!

Unsurprisingly they bought something else.

Now I know 3 people who own or have owned the type of Laguna(albeit with a different engine) in question.

One of them had problems with the electrics. The dash clock stopped(no speedo, rev counter, fuel guage etc), so the car needed a new instrument cluster. A very expensive job, as all those things need to be taken out, un wired etc. It also boasts rust on the door hinges(and the car is only 6 years old) and it rattles over bumps.

The other person had problems with the key card system. It wouldnt make up its mind whether the car was supposed to be locked or unlocked, and sometimes wouldnt respond.

Lastly, and worst of all, was someone who bought a brand new Laguna at the start of 03, complete with all the bells and whistles. In the space of 18 months it was in the garage no less than 10 times and no, it wasn't for a service that it was in either, with engine problems, electrical problems, well pretty much everything really. That person was so sick of it that they changed the car at the start of 05, because they were so pissed off with the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The DCI engines are also known to enter self destruct mode and run on their own engine oil until the sump runs dry and the engine seizes. Apparently it happens when the EGR valve gets stuck and oil leaks in past the turbo charger.

Indeed, there may be trouble ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

OP: for some informed opinions from those who actually own Renaults, visit
    www.renaultforums.co.uk

You will find solid information on the Renault Laguna what's good and what's bad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Very few people will rubbish a car they own (and presumably want to sell sometime).

The trade will not touch a Laguna at any value. Enough said.

• Advertisement

Very few people will rubbish a car they own (and presumably want to sell sometime).
    So we should disregard your opinions on Fords then? Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's well known that Lagunas are very unpredictable. sure, some owners won't have trouble, but there are a huge amount of known problems with them.
    Unless you're getting the Laguna for considerably less than other cars in its class then look for alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

colm_mcm wrote:
    Unless you're getting the Laguna for considerably less than other cars in its class then look for alternatives.

Even then, the OP would need all the money he or she saved and as much again to sort out all the problems that are highly likely to occur. That said OP, the Laguna isn't the worst Renault, the Mégane that shakes its a***(the 03 onwards version) farts out so many problems out its a*** that its supposed to be the worst made Renault in the history of badly made Renaults.

by considerably cheaper I mean nearly free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

maidhc wrote:
    The DCI engines are also known to enter self destruct mode and run on their own engine oil until the sump runs dry and the engine seizes. Apparently it happens when the EGR valve gets stuck and oil leaks in past the turbo charger.

Indeed, there may be trouble ahead.

I have actually seen this, white smoke was just crazy, it was blocking two lanes of traffic. I think the car was 02 model.

Don´t buy Laguna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

OP, you could also check out :

http://www.carsurvey.org

E92 wrote:
    Even then, the OP would need all the money he or she saved and as much again to sort out all the problems that are highly likely to occur. That said OP, the Laguna isn't the worst Renault, the Mégane that shakes its a***(the 03 onwards version) farts out so many problems out its a*** that its supposed to be the worst made Renault in the history of badly made Renaults.
    You're the one talking out of your arse. "Supposed to be" gives it away where did you hear that about the Megane, down the pub was it? Or from a taxi driver?

The problems with the Laguna are highly exaggerated. Yes there can be problems and I'll concede it isn't as relaible as a Honda or Toyota. But neither are cars from other European manufacturers. And if you want to talk about resale values the Ford Mondeo that is hyped so much in this forum is a big depreciator too as is the Nissan Primera and others in the same class.

There are thousands of Lagunas doing big mileage on Irish roads, they are not breaking down every 5 minutes like some people would have you believe. I personally know many people driving Lagunas, Meganes, Megavans, Kangoos, Clios who rely on their vehicle for their livelihood and have no reliability issues. My own family has owned many Renaults for about 20 years and they have been relaible, I have been hearing the same old cliches all that time but the amount of bullsh1t that gets posted in this forum surpasses all that.

Oh and as for engines self destruting in a cloud of smoke - I have not seen any Lagunas do that but in the past year I've seen a current model Merc E class, current BMW 5 Series and previous model Mondeo blowing copious amounts of blue smoke and steam...continue like that and engines will not last long. The Merc was on Monday in the N4 near Edgeworthsown in case anyone else saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have. A guy in work has an '03 Laguna DCI that ate its turbo in our cark park last year, producing impressive amounts of thick white smoke. Luckily for him he had just bought it from a dealer a month or so earlier and had it fixed under warranty.

I don't recall much hyping of the Ford Mondeo and Nissan Primera on this forum btw.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

BrianD3 wrote:
    You're the one talking out of your arse. "Supposed to be" gives it away where did you hear that about the Megane, down the pub was it? Or from a taxi driver?

The problems with the Laguna are highly exaggerated. Yes there can be problems and I'll concede it isn't as relaible as a Honda or Toyota. But neither are cars from other European manufacturers. And if you want to talk about resale values the Ford Mondeo that is hyped so much in this forum is a big depreciator too as is the Nissan Primera and others in the same class.

There are thousands of Lagunas doing big mileage on Irish roads, they are not breaking down every 5 minutes like some people would have you believe. I personally know many people driving Lagunas, Meganes, Megavans, Kangoos, Clios who rely on their vehicle for their livelihood and have no reliability issues. My own family has owned many Renaults for about 20 years and they have been relaible, I have been hearing the same old cliches all that time but the amount of bullsh1t that gets posted in this forum surpasses all that.

Oh and as for engines self destruting in a cloud of smoke - I have not seen any Lagunas do that but in the past year I've seen a current model Merc E class, current BMW 5 Series and previous model Mondeo blowing copious amounts of blue smoke and steam...continue like that and engines will not last long. The Merc was on Monday in the N4 near Edgeworthsown in case anyone else saw it.

Rather abusive Mods?

Renaults are relatively unreliable cars. No disputing that. The stats are all there, the surveys, the works. Nobody wants them (apart from Clios) used, and for good reason.

Lagunas are one of the worst offenders. It's been written before, and guess what? It's all true.

Depreciation in a large family car is a fact of life. They all loose value. Try changing a 3 year old Avensis foir a new one, even a Luna spec :D, and see how much you have to fork out. Even Mercs and BMW's depreciate. The difference in the Mondeo's case is that they make a good used buy. Good value, good to drive, and relatively reliable too. Contrast that with a Laguna. Easier get rid of a house in Ballincollig lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know about half a dozen people with Laguna 2s. None of them seem to have any trouble. My small sample doesn't mean a thing though. The likes of honestjohn give a better view of the total picture

I'd consider buying the likes of a Laguna second hand. It would need to be cheap though, very cheap
    Easier get rid of a house in Ballincollig lol :D

That's not the worst. According to the trade, a Citroen C5 is harder to shift than aids :eek: :D

unkel wrote:
    ....I'd consider buying the likes of a Laguna second hand. It would need to be cheap though, very cheap...........

Very cryptic. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very cryptic. Why?

Nah, not meant to be cryptic at all. The opportunist in me would smell the chance to buy a decent enough car for peanuts

I did the same last year when I bought a good condition '01 Rover 75 for €6k. Let's just say I'm not like the good people that buy second hand VWs or Toyotas for more than the new price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Thanks for all the advice.

When people say cheap, how cheap would it have to be before you would consider it? The one Im looking at is 02 for €9000

That's far from cheap. Have a look at this one

p.s. I still wouldn't advise you buy it btw.

Fair enough Henry.

I think I'll leave it go alright, I couldn't be bothered taking the risk. I will need the car a lot so reliability is important.

• Advertisement

The stats are all there, the surveys, the works. Nobody wants them (apart from Clios) used, and for good reason.
    Check out the surveys. Your beloved Fords often don't do too well either.

Renault have done well in past surveys yet pub experts still slated them.

Surveys don't mean much in any case.

Posters in this forum are so blinkered that they were already slating the reliability of the upcoming Laguna III two days after the first press photos were released and many months before the car was due to go into production

As for nobody wanting Renaults, everybody seems to want 1.4 Golfs used and most VW's generally do alright in terms of resale. Yet VWs are not terribly reliable IME and lag behind the opposition in some other areas too. So whether somebody wants a car or not means very little.

In other words, don't believe the hype (both good and bad) don't believe everything you read in a magazine. Also, do try to be objective and informed. The more I see of it, forums such as this are worthless for objective information re: car reliability. The fanboyism about certain makes while bashing of other makes reminds me of soccer supporters slagging off every other team for no other reason than they're not the team they support.

Check the thread title :D

To summarise your rant:-

1/. Renault have good reliabilty :D
    2/. Surveys mean little :D
    3/. Demand for 1.4 Golfs is low :D
    4/. Magazine reviews are not objective :D
    5/. Nor are forums such as here :D

I see :D

1/. Renault have good reliabilty
    Over simplified. Renault are much of a muchness with other Euro makes when it comes to reliability. Reliability differences between marques are exaggerated. Modern cars are generally reliable.
    2/. Surveys mean little
    True
    3/. Demand for 1.4 Golfs is low
    High
    4/. Magazine reviews are not objective
    Hard to say but magazine writers don't get everything right and some (eg Clarkson) have based much of their career on tongue-in-cheek comments
    5/. Nor are forums such as here
    True. It even says as much in the charter. Having said that in a previous poll here the majority of respondents said that Renault were no better or worse than other Euro makes for reliability and some said they were as good as the Japanese. There was a similar poll for Alfa Romeo and the results were even more positive. So it could be said that the forum is not as bad as it appears and that it's just that a small number of bashers are shouting loudest.

No mate. Renaults are poor in relation to other marques. Lagunas particularly.

Honest John says this about them...

"What's Good
    New Laguna launched September 2000 Paris Show to compete with new Citroen C5, new Mondeo and new Vectra. Extremely good looking. Novel keyless entry and starting system easy to get used to. Engine line-up includes 110 bhp 1.6 litre 16v; 123 bhp 1.8 litre 16v; 140 bhp 2.0. litre 'IDE'; 210 bhp 3.0 litre V6; 105 bhp 1.9 litre dCi diesel; 135 bhp 2.2 litre dCi diesel. 5-speed rather than 4-speed autobox from 2001 much better. Three year, 60,000 mile UK warranty. Plastic front wings deform and shrug off minor impacts. Much better to drive than old Laguna. Excellent, top-of-the-class FIVE STAR NCAP crash safety rating announced 28/3/2001. 150ps 2.2 litre common rail diesel on sale in Germany from 1st January 2002 and UK from February at prices from £19,450. Has 236 lb ft torque and emits 170g/km CO2. Facelift and revamp Spring 2004. New GT model with 135bhp 2.0, 165bhp 2.0 turbo, 210bhp V6, dCi 120 or dCi 150, all with 17" alloys, satnav, leather/alcantata upholstery, and cruise control with speed limiter. Torque of dCi 120 up from 270 to 300Nm. dCi 120 is very impressive to drive. New 1.9 dCi 100 and new 1.9 dCi 90 Euro IV engines.

Facelifted and revised for 2005 as from February Amsterdam Motor Show. New dashboard, New GT 205 model with sports chassis and 205hp Turbo engine, New Euro IV dCi engines, New safety features, Improved quality and reliability. Available to order prior to its showroom debut on Friday 18 March 2005, prices for the 2005 Laguna start with the Hatch 2.0 16V Expression at £15,775 on the road and the Sport Tourer 2.0 16V Expression at £16,775, both a drop of £200 compared to the previous model.

New Renault-Nissan Alliance 1,995cc piezoelectric injected dCi diesel announced October 2005. Puts out 150hp with a new six-speed manual gearbox. Will also be available with 175hp next year. Combined fuel consumption is 48.7mpg, CO2 emissions drop to 154g/km, the tax drops to 17% (to end of 2005) torque 340 Nm. 0-60mph 8.6 seconds.

From March 2006 175hp version fitted to Laguna GT 175. Most powerful 2.0 litre diesel in procuction at the time. 360Nm torque, 90% from 1,500rpm. 140mph and 47mpg in a large family car. 0-60 8.4. Excellent combined mpg 47.1.

Has been one reader report of a good DCI with 22,000 trouble-free miles.

Road test 2001 Renault Laguna II 1.8 16v at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=18

Last updated 22-6-2007
    What's Bad
    Not quite as good as the current Mondeo: doesn't steer as well, but a better cruiser at 70-80mph and has a slightly better ride. Worrying number of gimmicks from a company not known for high quality electrics. Complex specification variations led to delivery delays of cars built to order in Spring and Summer 2001. Problems with automatic transmissions for four cylinder cars led to a statement "none will be built until February 2002". 5-speed automatic in V6 heavily criticised by 'What Car?' magazine August 2001 issue for lumpy full throttle changes, slow kickdowns and slack throttle response. Could be the reason why the first Avantimes were manual only. Radio aerial in rear side glass of both hatchbacks and Sports Tourers gives poor radio reception in parts of Britain. 'Which' magazine has highlighted problems with ECUs of all Laguna II petrol engines from 1.6 to 3.0 litre and urged Renault to recall them. Punctures have to be repaired and computers re-set by Renault dealers or tyre pressure warning system stops working. On 1.9DCIs EGR valve should open to allow carbon dioxide, which acts as a cooling gas) into the combustion chambers when the engine is under load (>30% boost). This allows the combustion chamber temperature to drop and thus the temperature of the exhaust gases. If it sticks in the closed position the exhaust gas temperature will rise causing a) the turbo bearings to fail and b) engine oil into the induction system. This will cause the engine to go on running until it has consumed all its oil and then it will go bang.Problems with EGR valves in Renault dCi engines are often the cause of rough running when the valve is stuck in the open position as well. In several cases turbos have blown but the EGR valve has not been replaced. Inevitably the new turbo unit will not last long. At Spring 2004 revise, only Euro IV engine was the dCi 90.

Apparently, the ISOFIX rear seat attachments are in the wrong location and will have to be recalled to resolve. Essentially they forgot to include the depth of the seat in the drawings therefore the hang points are about 4-6 inches too low in the seat. Renault has been advising Britax to tells customers to cut their seats to facilitate fitment.

What to Watch Out For
    In five months and 3,000 miles, one reader's Y reg Sport Tourer has required two new gearboxes, one new driveshaft, one new drivers side electric window motor and repairs to the hand-brake. Other readers have suffered problems with the ambitious electronic gizmos, heating system failures, airbag failures, seat comfort and a lack of availability of essential spare parts. Don't buy the a nearly new example at auction as it may well be a reject car. Vital to clear scuttle ventilation plenum chamber drains of leaves otherwise water can get into the cart and into the ECU.

Faults listed by reader Mark Kirby include:-

Faulty tyre pressure warnings - turns out the handbook has the incorrect pressures.
    Failed drivers door electric window - still faulty.
    Failed Sunroof (fully open - an AA fix at 10pm one Sunday night)
    Various rattles (''All new cars rattle, sir, and the manufacturers will admit that'' - NO THEY DON'T!!) - most of these sorted.
    Poor fitting trim - interior and exterior.
    New boot lining (needs doing again).
    New headlining.
    Dodgy key cards.
    Since new - poor fitting tailgate - it rubs on the bumper - this has been 'repaired' at least 4 times.
    Broken seat trim - when the car was 3 or 4 weeks old - new one has not arrived even now.
    Badly fitted dashboard.

Further minor problem areas:-
    1/Rear suspension bushes failed. A common problem I was told
    2/Leaves in the drains letting water in. A sod to clear out and you WILL break the fixings.....
    3/ Impossible to get cambelt changed unless done at a Renault dealer as it requires a tool specific to the engine.
    4/ Rear screen Ariel reception poor in some areas

A reader's saga with a Laguna Sport Tourer 2.2 Diesel for 3 years: "The car seemed to have poor power delivery from the word go but the troubles
    really started after three months of ownership. The Computer readout began to give completley false readings- reset by the local Renault dealer. The rear tailgate struts were replaced; and so we go on- replacement driveshafts, replacement gearbox and driveshaft again, replacement engine mountings, rear axle bushes and ride sensor. Many replacement items in and around the engine, a new catalytic convertor, turbo and mounting, inlet manifold that had collapsed, new battery, new clutch. New replacement weather seals around the windows and so it goes on and on. Outside the Warranty period; thankfully I had bought an Extended Warranty, the engine performance fell to a dangerously low level, fuel consumption fell to 24 MPG and there was a strong smell of fuel around the car when it was stationary with the engine running. It was found that the TDC sensor had fallen apart, so that was replaced- with its attendant wiring, I also queried the constant loss of tyre pressure and rapid rate of wear of one rear tyre, The garage diagnosed buckled wheels- after 30,000 miles and just 3 years; no scuff marks on the wheels! I approached Renault for some goodwill gesture of replacement wheels considering the problems I had experienced- their answer was a short sharp NO. It had taken me more than two years to persuade the Dealer that the engine had a severe power loss, it was eventually cured, but only for a short time, by a recall to replace the Exhaust Gas Regulator Pipe. And the advertised diesel fuel economy for this vehicle? No matter how long the journey, no matter how softly or hard I drove the car I never saw more than 40 MPG. Sadly mine was not a 'Friday Car' I have heard too many others complain, as we waited at the Service Desk, of similar problems. Looking at thecostings for the warranty work on my car it would appear that the parts alone cost Renault more that £5,000. Thankfully the local Renault dealer has now bought my car; a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

Coil spring failures as common as they are on other European makes and models.

Six-speed manual gearboxes have developed a second gear problem.

On diesels, blocked crankcase gas 'EGR' valves are leading to high engine temperatures and turbo and intercooler failures.

One report of brake pedal failing in use because pivot came loose. Check brake pedal pivot. Further report that brake pedal pivot is "hollow plastic" and that is why the pedal snaps off so easily.

Increasing numbers of premature clutch failure reported, especially on diesels.

Self-levelling Xenon lights reported to have developed a fault with self levelling that goes into dim dip mode.

Water has been known to get into the ECU creating short circuits and causing things like the car to attempt to self-start while the alarm goes off, the wipers wipe and the screenwashers spray screenwash fluid. This seems to be increasingly common.

On Sports Tourer, cables to tailgate and rear window release electric switches enter switches at the top and make them vulnerable to water ingress. Dealers have a fix for this.

Problem emerging of alloy wheels buckling after a few years.

On 2.2DCI, exhaust system can crack and separate just after the cat converter.

Joint Second Bottom (to Espace) in 2002 Which reliability survey of cars up to 2 years old; 56 cars surveyed. Only 87% breakdown free (same as Alfa 156) in 2003 Which survey. Renault had above average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 114.24 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk Petrol and diesel models poor for problems and faults; petrol poor for breakdowns; diesel average for breakdowns in 2003 Which survey. 4th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. Laguna joint 10th bottom model in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. Only 88% of cars up to 2 years old breakdown-free over previous 12 months in 2004 Which? survey. 2004 Which? quote: "A stupendously unreliable car. Renault seems to have restricted building the Laguna to Friday afternoons. An unenjoyable drive, too, especially for tall drivers." Laguna II 7th least reliable car in 2005 Warranty Direct Reliability Survey with 50 repair claims per 100 cars. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Anther reader's sequence of problems:-

1,2,3. Ignition coil failure. This has occurred 3 times. The car has now just been fitted with its 11th new coil.

4. Flat battery caused by corrosion on the negative terminal.

5. Electronic steering lock mechanism failure.

6. Near fire due to water getting into ECU as described above.
    Recalls
    19-9-01: Limited recall of 223 Sport Tourers fitted with towing balls to fit reinforcement to towing ball mounting panel otherwise it may flex and crack. w/c 17-12-2001: All Laguna IIs built before September 2001 recalled for clips to be fitted preventing accelerator from wedging under carpet jamming throttle open. 8-3-2002: All Laguna II 1.6s recalled because fault in ECU software means engine can stall when a/c is switched on. 8-3-2002 15,462 Laguna II petrol and diesel models recalled because accelerator pedal may stick in open position and on diesel models engine may stall at idle. 8-3-2002: 2,248 Laguna II diesels recalled because leakage of fuel from high pressure pipes may destroy Emergency Brake Assist connector located on the brake booster. 15-11-2002: 1,645 Lagunas recalled because engine may surge intermittently when first started when ambient temperature is between 0 and 5 degrees Centigrade. Recall to re-programme ECU (VI does not make clear if Laguna I or Laguna II). 31-1-2003: 2,795 Lagunas recalled because brake servo may fail resulting in loss of power assistance and a "hard" pedal. Replace brake servo unit. 8-9-2003: recall of 2,198 and 12,819 petrol engined Lagunas for unprovoked acceleration and "Unstable idling speed" requiring reprogramming of the ECU. June 2006 clutch mastercylinder recall."

This is getting really tedious now. I know what honestjohn has to say about the Laguna. I was aware of it before I bought a Laguna and i'm aware of it now. "He" has a lot to say about many other cars too.

If you look through all that text that you posted you'll find that much of it refers to a a small number of of owners who had "lemons" with a lot of problems. You can get a lemon in any car.

And the only other thing I'll say about honestjohn is
    Punctures have to be repaired and computers re-set by Renault dealers or tyre pressure warning system stops working
    This is WRONG. I wonder did he hear this in the pub.
    Impossible to get cambelt changed unless done at a Renault dealer as it requires a tool specific to the engine.
    And this is very misleading. Impossible my arse. Any good independent garage would laugh at the above statement

These are just two examples showing that the honestjohn appraisal is not all its cracked up to be. If he can't get his facts straight about the tyre pressure system then it'd make me wonder about what else in there is wrong. And you know another thing - he has failed to mention one or two issues with the Laguna that are more common than the issues that he has mentioned. Again this makes me wonder does he actually have a clue.

The tyre sensor thing does seem ridiculous alright.

My Dad drove a 02 Megane for a couple of years and there were definitely some bugs in the electrics though.

BrianD3 wrote:
    This is getting really tedious now. I know what honestjohn has to say about the Laguna. I was aware of it before I bought a Laguna and i'm aware of it now. "He" has a lot to say about many other cars too.

If you look through all that text that you posted you'll find that much of it refers to a a small number of of owners who had "lemons" with a lot of problems. You can get a lemon in any car.

And the only other thing I'll say about honestjohn is

This is WRONG. I wonder did he hear this in the pub.

And this is very misleading. Impossible my arse. Any good independent garage would laugh at the above statement

These are just two examples showing that the honestjohn appraisal is not all its cracked up to be. If he can't get his facts straight about the tyre pressure system then it'd make me wonder about what else in there is wrong. And you know another thing - he has failed to mention one or two issues with the Laguna that are more common than the issues that he has mentioned. Again this makes me wonder does he actually have a clue.

The issues you've mentioned were reported by a contributor/owner. No accounting for what owners/dealers might opine/tell you. Honest John remains a credible source of independant infomation however.

Tedious topic perhaps, but the facts stand. No amount of trying to fudge will detract from the fact that Renaults tend to be relatively unreliable, with dodgy electrics, and other endemic faults.

If you got a couple of trouble free Renaults, my advise is rejoice and be happy. You are in a minority, and the smile on your face will be taken away should you ever need to trade one in, particularly a Laguna.

Strange that anyone I know in the motor trade, including a former Renault service manager agree that the Laguna is rubbish. I must tell them they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:
    Strange that anyone I know in the motor trade, including a former Renault service manager agree that the Laguna is rubbish. I must tell them they're wrong.

I know a Mechanic in a Main Renault dealers who has most of his family driving renaults. His brothers wife drives a Laguna (03) and is changing to a grand Scenic (just had child no 4 or 5, i lose count). The brother is in a Landcruiser , but he's a builder and Renault dont do an alternative, he does have a couple of Renault vans that his lads use though. He has no major issues with owning one himself( has a megane atm, or the wife does, not sure) and I'll be buying a Scenic through him soon enough (upgrade for the missus). Personally I wouldnt sell anything tofriends or family if I thought was going to cop flack off them when it breaks.

As I've said before, any of the Renaults in my family have been generally reliable. The issues they have had have mainly been in some way human inflicted , like the rear lights on the missus Scenic going wonkey because whatever tool had it before her used the cable as a means to yank the holder out to change bulbs.

My Clio that I bought new in 00 has never missed a beat. My dads 00 Laguna has been so far reliable although the weak wheel bearings (apparenlty an issue) will probably have a shortened life as he carries a huge amount of tools around in the boot.

Both my Safranes have been tip top, the only reason I sold the first one (which I regretted after a couple of weeks, should have kept it instead of the Rover 620, but it sold quicker ) was because it was a 93 a and a 2litre with was underpowered for the size of the car. When the 2.5 auto came along I snapped it up.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    a former Renault service manager.
    Disgruntled ex-employee?

Incompetence in the motor trade contributes to problems with cars. Therefore it is quite ironic that those in the trade condemn any car as rubbish. Some Renault dealers are poor, others are alright. Same thing with Fiat and Alfa.
    You are in a minority
    The Renault poll in this forum suggests otherwise.

I don't want to repeat myself but look back at what I've written. It's a lot more than "a couple" of good Renaults that I've experienced.

And I don't care that I'd get a bad trade in on my Laguna. I will run my car into the ground as it's worth SFA anyway. But it's only just run in at 150k miles so it'll be a while yet. What's the longest you have ever kept a car Henry, IIRC you change yours frequently. In fairness you cannot tell much about a car's relaibility if you only ever own cars a year old or less.

Advertisement