Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today a kestrel ate a pigeon in my back garden

Options
  • 21-08-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Check it out, i took a few photos the the pigeons last meal, little did he know he was gong to be served as the main dish..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks just like a (rather untidy :D) back garden to me! Can't see any pigeon remains at all.

BTW on the front page it looks like "Today a kestrel ate a pig..." which got my interest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

he has a point. is this what we're meant to be looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

were you watching the attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Alun wrote:
    BTW on the front page it looks like "Today a kestrel ate a pig..." which got my interest :)

Hehehe, me too. I think that's what the Americans would call a yard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I once seen one eating a crow in my front garden about 8 years back. Beautiful Creature too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

JIZZLORD wrote:
    were you watching the attack?

Wasn't really an attack... although the pigeon was struggling a little bit but he gave up after a while.

Sorry about the photo guys, it was my camera phone and the bird is very much camouflaged against the dirt. Any of the photo's i got are pretty much the same and you can barely make him out.

I just thought it was cool to see a wild kestrel in my back garden.

Luckily the body of the pigeon is gone so i don't have to clean up. Theres only a bunch of feathers where the kestrel had dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I vote that pidgeon the 'hide and go seek' champion of boards.ie

Can't see him for sh*t!.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Cool-Nature in action

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

top left corner of dirt part lie the pigeons remains. unless im wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

One swooped down and stole a fledgling blackbird from my Mums garden last year and then proceeded to tuck into it at the far end .... The mother was doing her nut and screeched for hours after crying for her baby :(

• Advertisement

alexdenby6 wrote:
    top left corner of dirt part lie the pigeons remains. unless im wrong?

Top left is the kestrel standing on the pigeon. The kestrel is almost completely invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's a (very) cropped and tweaked version, if you squint your eyes up just right you an spot the birdy-
    dsc00197tweakedxe2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I keep thinking this is like one of those joke e-mails. You know the ones where you are busy studying a picture then suddenly something pops out and you scutter yourself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, on the 3rd of April, at 4pm I saw a bird of prey with a victim adjacent to the Luas line between Rialto and Suir Rd stations. I think it was a red kite. It had a red breast anyway.

It must live in the OPW site over the wall beside the train tracks.

Well... the kestrel struck again. This time he/she left the fecking pigeon body behind. I'm on clean up duty! No pictures today though he struck when i was out at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That's weird -Yesterday morning a Sparrowhawk took out a crow in my back yard,never saw one within miles of the estate before.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement