Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Offers ? Round Zero Offers ?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have been researching college courses and the cao in depth the last while as I intend on going to college next year.

Can someone please tell me what are early offers by the Cao ?

and

Can someone please tell me what are round zero offers by the Cao ?

Im thinking they are got to do with medicine and stuff ?

In the paper on the day of the LC results a girl who got 600 said "I have been offered Engineering in Cambridge' so Im assuming it was from a Round Zero offer ?

She also needed an A1 in Physics for that course :eek:

How did cambridge know about her ?

I know this wont apply to my course but I love to know everything :D:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

first of all her getting into cambridge had nothing to do with the cao their system is called ucas so im sure their timetable etc is all over the place. also she could of been offered a place providing she get certain results like an a1 in physics and thats why she got it very fast.

round zero offers are for mature students or people who are not waiting on exam results from that particular year however i think in reality they are just for mature students as I was not waiting for exam results this year and i didnt get a round zero offer.

not sure exactly what you mean by early offers but there are courses like art in ncad where you can be told you have gotten (as you portfolio was good enough) but it will be conditional on you getting the minimum requirements in your exams so maybe thats what they mean by early offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

PeakOutput wrote:
    first of all her getting into cambridge had nothing to do with the cao their system is called ucas so im sure their timetable etc is all over the place. also she could of been offered a place providing she get certain results like an a1 in physics and thats why she got it very fast.

round zero offers are for mature students or people who are not waiting on exam results from that particular year however i think in reality they are just for mature students as I was not waiting for exam results this year and i didnt get a round zero offer.

not sure exactly what you mean by early offers but there are courses like art in ncad where you can be told you have gotten (as you portfolio was good enough) but it will be conditional on you getting the minimum requirements in your exams so maybe thats what they mean by early offers.

I got the early offers off the cao website in the cao calendar bit.

I think i understand her case more clearly now. She probably needed her LC score to be equivalent to the A-level score in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Round zero primarily applies to over-seas students who may need to organise living here etc. and I also think that it applies to people who need to submit folios or do additional tests (like in music) as well as the mature students as has been mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I'm one of those "mature" students: I was interviewed at UCD, and they gave me the good news directly by post. That was back at the end of May, while the CAO offer came in early July.

If anyone objects to the idea of CAO giving the results out early... well, I'm sure they'd like to give everyone's results earlier, but they're constrained by the timing of the LC results. Besides, mature students tend to have more commitments to sort out - in my case, a job to wind up, leaving parties to go to etc. There was a possibility I wouldn't get the place, so I couldn't even tell anyone until I knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Round Zero offers also apply to students who defered entry from the previous year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Round zero is when places are offered to people who are not waiting for the current years lc results like people with fetac points are offered their courses and in some cases people who already have their lc points from different years and defered places

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

In early July, the CAO send out offers to various category of applicants; namely applicants that have to organise visa'a etc, mature applicants and deferred applicants. Mature applicants who applied for nursing mature codes.

In early August, they send out offers for FETAC applicants for courses that have a quota of places reserved for FETAC applicants, an example is the Nursing courses. ALso, they send out the balance of Mature offers and the balance of deferrals if they missed any.

After the Leaving Cert results come out in August, the CAO makes offers to applicants who are appying solely on Leaving Cert/FETAC/GCE etc are are usually available on the Monday after the release of the Leaving Cet results.

Then after that, you have Round 2 where the institutions make offers to fill any vacancies left after the Round 1 offers.

Thereafter, offers are issued on a daily basis to fill the remaining places.

Hope that explains the offer procedure to you all.

Good luck to all who received their offer and accepted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

^^^^^Are you really from the CAO or a complete Hoaxer??? Sorry to be off-topic here.

Thanks, I got my number 1 offer Pharmacy in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Lucas10101 wrote:
    ^^^^^Are you really from the CAO or a complete Hoaxer??? Sorry to be off-topic here.

Thanks, I got my number 1 offer Pharmacy in UCC.

Were still not sure tbh about CAOMAN. But as long as he doesnt spread misinformation its irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Were still not sure tbh about CAOMAN. But as long as he doesnt spread misinformation its irrelevant

lol, if you look at his profile he's got "Head of CAO" listed under Occupation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

The reason she knew she got her Engineering course in the UK was because the UCAS system they use accepts or declines your application before results are even out. I have a couple of friends who applies to go to college in the Uk and they were given conditional offers on the bases of inteviews, essays and a list of expected exam results. Then if they got the grades required they were given a place. Easier in one way, because the results they requre are usually lower than what's needed here, harder in another way because you can loose the chance of going somewhere entirely with no chance of appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

CAOMAN is indeed Ivor Gleeson of the CAO, unless someone managed to compromise the CAO user database as I received a pm from them referring to my cao number, my address and course choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I suppose he doesnt have to do then spending all his time on Boards.ie :p

Advertisement