Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question bout 2nd round Arts points

Options
  • 21-08-2007 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey, do ye know if Arts points in NUIG often go down in the second round? Missed out by 5 points just. Its more of a sickener because if I'd applied for it last year when I did my leaving cert I would have had the points. I can't seem to find the points list for 2nd round of most of the other years.

Oh, and If I accept an offer in the first round, will I still get offers in the second round??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

R0C0 wrote:
    Hey, do ye know if Arts points in NUIG often go down in the second round? Missed out by 5 points just. Its more of a sickener because if I'd applied for it last year when I did my leaving cert I would have had the points. I can't seem to find the points list for 2nd round of most of the other years.

Oh, and If I accept an offer in the first round, will I still get offers in the second round??

If you accept your offer which is your 2nd choice ... you will only be offered your first choice if it goes down on round 2. You wont be offered 3-10 atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

R0C0 wrote:

There is a supplement in the Evening echo ( cork paper ) with the first and second round points last year. I also have the 2005 one's from a college supplement in January.

NUI Galway Arts 2006: Round 1-350 Final-350
    NUI Galway Arts 2005: Round 1-380* Final- 375

It is impossible to predict what will happen this year.
    Yes you can accept an offer in Round one and than get offered a higher preference course ONLY, in round 2 not a lower preference one

If anyone else wants to know about their course's Round 2 points for the last two years i could post it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

There is a supplement in the Evening echo ( cork paper ) with the first and second round points last year. I also have the 2005 one's from a college supplement in January.

NUI Galway Arts 2006: Round 1-350 Final-350
    NUI Galway Arts 2005: Round 1-380* Final- 375

It is impossible to predict what will happen this year.
    Yes you can accept an offer in Round one and than get offered a higher preference course ONLY, in round 2 not a lower preference one

If anyone else wants to know about their course's Round 2 points for the last two years i could post it for them.

Wouldn't it be handier to post the link ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

steven22 wrote:
    Wouldn't it be handier to post the link ? :rolleyes:
    It would be but its not on the internet, it just came free with the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

Much appreciated!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

As stated above, it's impossible to tell for sure if the points will go down, but at least it won't go up again!

Whether the points go down will depend on whether the places on the course are filled. If enough people choose not to accept the offer of a place in Arts at NUIG, the points will drop to a level which will allow offers to be sent to others who want the course but didn't get enough points. If 2005 and most earlier years are anything to go by, the points should drop, but don't expect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

R0C0 wrote:

Yes, you will still be offered something. But it's Conditional. If you were offered number 9, then 8>1 you cannot be offered. You can possibly still be offered choice ten even after accepting a place on choice nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What? No you can't. You can NEVER GET OFFERED LOWER, ONLY HIGHER. You have it completely backwards there...

Hmm.. anyone know where I can get a list of what 2nd round points were in previous years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

R0C0 wrote:
    Hmm.. anyone know where I can get a list of what 2nd round points were in previous years?

arts usually has a huge amount of applicants, cant imagine the drop being too big then i suppose

• Advertisement

______ wrote:
    arts usually has a huge amount of applicants, cant imagine the drop being too big then i suppose

Yeah, I know, just need it to come down by 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Yes, you will still be offered something. But it's Conditional. If you were offered number 9, then 8>1 you cannot be offered. You can possibly still be offered choice ten even after accepting a place on choice nine.

This is complete nonsense. Ignore it.

Done!

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    This is complete nonsense. Ignore it.

What I said was true, what's the problem??

If he's offered choice 9, and accepts it, he can't be offered 8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1 choices, only 10 and he can still accept ten if the points go down for him..

It's the truth.....shame you don't know the CAO well enough. Maybe I didn't phrase it the best way, but it's still true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Lucas10101 wrote:

If he's offered choice 9, and accepts it, he can't be offered 8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1 choices, only 10 and he can still accept ten if the points go down for him..

It's the truth.....shame you don't know the CAO well enough.
    What are you on about? If you are offered your 9th choice and you accept you can still be offered your 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st choices. But once you're offered your 9th choice you won't be ever offered your 10th choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Lucas, that's BS. Choices are not assigned numbers, they are assigned an order or priority. You have first second and third choices, not choices 8-10.

I'm just speaking from my Guidence Councillors mouth as he said this to our class. He must have got it wrong then.

Excuse my last few statements then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

This is the sort of rubbish that is going to confuse and worry people. And quoting this for the third time on these boards:

CAO Handbook - Page 15.
    IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one
    of your course preferences, you are excluded from further
    consideration for any course which is lower in your order of
    preference than the one in which you have been offered a
    place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards
    in your order of preference (if places become available due
    to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a
    course which is a lower preference than that already offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lucas10101 wrote:

It's the truth.....shame you don't know the CAO well enough. Maybe I didn't phrase it the best way, but it's still true.

ROFLCOPTER.

Advertisement